AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Sumiko master set-up process (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46634)

nicoff 09-10-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 979204)
That information most emphatically did not come from Bob Robbins. He was however, taught the method with it.

If you read what Bob Robbins posted on his site, you will see that he acknowledges going to Berkekey, Ca to Sumiko's offices and learning the method from them. What Robbins has done is create materials and videos explaining the method that he learned from Sumiko.
The instructional material posted above explaining how to do it was done without attribution. Jdandy indicated that he did not write it. If you know who wrote that material feel free to elaborate. If you are the one who wrote it, my kudos to you.

metaphacts 09-10-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 979168)
Dave.......I can't take credit for making that post. That information was provided to me from a friend via the "speaker whisperer". It is solid information, and when followed the results are very impressive. The Master Process certainly transformed my listening experience with my Amati Anniversario's. I am happy to be able to forward this information for your use, but the credit for this golden information belongs to another fine audiophile.

My advice to you based on my experience with the process is do not rush through any steps. The more carefully you follow the instructions the greater the final results will be.

Congratulations on your new Strads. Fabulous speakers the will forever be true classics.

:tresbon:

metaphacts 09-10-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 979213)
If you read what Bob Robbins posted on his site, you will see that he acknowledges going to Berkekey, Ca to Sumiko's offices and learning the method from them. What Robbins has done is create materials and videos explaining the method that he learned from Sumiko.
The instructional material posted above explaining how to do it was done without attribution. Jdandy indicated that he did not write it. If you know who wrote that material feel free to elaborate. If you are the one who wrote it, my kudos to you.

The short answer is that Bob was sent by the Vienna Acoustics dealer he worked for at the time. I was one of the instructors for his class.

As for materials, you would be better served to follow what Dan has posted imo.

Paolo4223 10-29-2019 07:44 PM

Anyone out there who can perform this procedure and will make a house call in the Seattle area? :)

I'm gonna give it a go with my Cremona Auditor M's. Patience is a virtue, usually. :)
Thanks so much,Dan, for this information!

Formerly YB-2 10-30-2019 07:54 PM

:lurk:

Interesting. When I auditioned Devore speakers a couple of weeks ago the owner used the same track when setting up each set.

Formerly YB-2 10-30-2019 08:23 PM

:lurk:

Interesting. When I auditioned Devore speakers a couple of weeks ago the owner used the same track when setting up each set.

joffieb 02-28-2021 04:55 PM

Hi,
I am writing from Johannesburg South Africa.
I have tried to set up my speakers with the Master Set system and so far have spent about 45 minutes trying to do so. I am using B&W 685 S2 speakers and a Rotel RA05ED amplifier [40 W]. My listening area is a room, 6m wide by 4.5 m deep joined to a dining room, 6m wide by 3.5m deep separated only in part by a 2.5m wall behind the listening position. I am finding it a little bit complicated and have a few questions I hope you are willing to answer:
1. Is my room too big for the system to work? In other words, will my speakers and amplifier have enough power and a movement to do the job?
2. Is there a way to objectively hear somehow what I am listening for in the base? For example if I listened to the song on Apple AirPods on Apple Music with the EQ set on a particular setting, for example Bass Booster, would that give me an idea of the correct song?
4. Does it help to turn the treble knob on the amplifier down while listening for the base or will that mess things up?
5. My room has a glass sliding door to one side and an ordinary door on the other. Should they be closed, open or is it immaterial?
6. Finally, I have a glass table that must stay in the room. Should it be left uncovered while doing the set up?
Thank you so much?

This is a link to a sketch of my room: https://mega.nz/file/IGp2gRLK#1BtFuz...2SmP1y_zaHYVeo

Masterlu 02-28-2021 05:06 PM

joffieb... Welcome to AA! :wave:

metaphacts 02-28-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joffieb (Post 1033764)
Hi,
I am writing from Johannesburg South Africa.
I have tried to set up my speakers with the Master Set system and so far have spent about 45 minutes trying to do so. I am using B&W 685 S2 speakers and a Rotel RA05ED amplifier [40 W]. My listening area is a room, 6m wide by 4.5 m deep joined to a dining room, 6m wide by 3.5m deep separated only in part by a 2.5m wall behind the listening position. I am finding it a little bit complicated and have a few questions I hope you are willing to answer:
1. Is my room too big for the system to work? In other words, will my speakers and amplifier have enough power and a movement to do the job?
2. Is there a way to objectively hear somehow what I am listening for in the base? For example if I listened to the song on Apple AirPods on Apple Music with the EQ set on a particular setting, for example Bass Booster, would that give me an idea of the correct song?
4. Does it help to turn the treble knob on the amplifier down while listening for the base or will that mess things up?
5. My room has a glass sliding door to one side and an ordinary door on the other. Should they be closed, open or is it immaterial?
6. Finally, I have a glass table that must stay in the room. Should it be left uncovered while doing the set up?
Thank you so much?

This is a link to a sketch of my room: https://mega.nz/file/IGp2gRLK#1BtFuz...2SmP1y_zaHYVeo

In a past life, I spent 14 years teaching MASTERS at Sumiko.

1. No your room is not too large. Masters is about the room/speaker interaction. No matter how large or how small the room, there is always interaction.

2. Using EQ defeats any attempt you are making to properly place the speaker.
As you stop at a position, ask the following questions about the bass: 1) Is the bass output higher? (Louder) 2) Is it extended? (Lower) 3) Is it linear? (Can you hear all the notes in the correct relationship to one another?)

4. (What happened to 3?) - The signal should be full range without any alteration. Do not EQ, do not cut. You need to know every aspect of the room/speaker interaction.

5. Leave the door as you would during normal listening.

6. Leave the glass top table as it will be when you are listening.

You are setting up around the room, using it to your advantage when you can and windowing out where it is a detriment.

Best wishes for success.

crwilli 02-28-2021 08:48 PM

Sumiko master set-up process

‘Nuff said.

I would only add that this could take days for you to feel like you got it. Don’t rush. Enjoy the process.