AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ps audio direct stream dac is a winner winner chicken dinner :) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45747)

bart 05-05-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 963829)
Here is something interesting taken from my Oppo manual . HDMI output 2 on my Oppo 95 will pass SACD ie DSD directly without conversion to PCM . Which means it can be used as a SACD transport to my DirectStream DAC which has a HDMI digital audio input. Here is the quote from the manual
“ DSD – SACD DSD data is output over HDMI without any conversion. For the analog audio outputs, DSD data is converted into analog signal directly by the internal DAC. If you use a receiver that supports HDMI v1.2a with DSD over HDMI, or you prefer the sound quality of straight DSD to analog, please select this option”

David, I do this from my Oppo to my Marantz processor for multichannel.

oddeophile 05-05-2019 01:45 PM

Uh won’t work on the DS DAC. PS Audio uses a proprietary HDMI setup and TMK only the DMP drive will handshake with it unless there is a third party product I’m not aware of. The pin structure is different than standard HDMI. If any question I would contact PS Audio Customer Service Dept.

1KW 05-05-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddeophile (Post 963870)
Uh won’t work on the DS DAC. PS Audio uses a proprietary HDMI setup and TMK only the DMP drive will handshake with it unless there is a third party product I’m not aware of. The pin structure is different than standard HDMI. If any question I would contact PS Audio Customer Service Dept.

People are reporting that it works with a special hdmi cable purchased through PS Audio

oddeophile 05-06-2019 03:41 AM

PS Audio has their own cable, yes. But there are better. Many, including me, use the WW Platimum 7 HDMI and love it.

1KW 05-06-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddeophile (Post 963956)
PS Audio has their own cable, yes. But there are better. Many, including me, use the WW Platimum 7 HDMI and love it.

My point being there cable allows you use the Oppo as a SACD transport to the DirectStream dac

doggiehowser 05-06-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 963962)
My point being there cable allows you use the Oppo as a SACD transport to the DirectStream dac

The HDMI connector on the DS DAC and DS Mem Transport is merely using HDMI as a connector. The protocol is I2S and there is an encryption protocol between the transport and player which allows them to send DSD using the DOP format over the I2S protocol.

The Oppo HDMI output conforms to the standard HDMI protocol.

I know. Quite a mouthful.

But years before PS Audio even conceived of the DS memory transport, I recall Ted experimented with a third party board - VanityPraise? Or something which was installed in an Oppo player (103 if I recall correctly)

It MODIFIED the Oppo’s HDMI output to split audio and video. Then if it encountered DSD it would package the DSD IN DOP Format and sent it out via a coax output (not the coax normally found on the Oppo). In fact it had 3 coax output to support multichannel 5.1 PCM or DSD.

THIS was the basis of the memory transport with some modified digital lens circuit added.

doggiehowser 05-06-2019 09:01 AM

http://audiopraise.com/vanityhd/overview.php

Sorry it was called AudioPraise Vanity [emoji51]

Pyro 05-06-2019 01:43 PM

Ps audio direct stream dac is a winner winner chicken dinner :)

I guess this ends my Mcintosh D1100 vs PS Audio direct stream to replace my Mcintosh MDA 1k. LMAO.

1KW 05-06-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyro (Post 963999)
I guess this ends my Mcintosh D1100 vs PS Audio direct stream to replace my Mcintosh MDA 1k. LMAO.

Having owned the D1100 and now the DirectStream with Snowmass I can tell you get the DirectStream :yes: absolutely amazing :music: Talk to Ivan I’m sure he will make you a good deal . Mine was part of a trade I made with Lars on my Elipsa speakers. One thing I’m probably going to get is the network card. If I was ordering one now I would get the network card which negates the need for one cable and displays album art work on the front screen, this way your Roon Server can be anywhere.

Grasshopper 05-07-2019 10:59 PM

How does the PS Audio Directstream compared to the Schiit Yggy?