AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pre-Amps & Amplifiers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Soulution 710/720 install (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28410)

Car commander 09-21-2014 11:56 AM

Soulution 710/720 install

2 Attachment(s)
After having a chat with Ivan, I recently purchased the Soulution 720 preamp and 710 amplifier. I have wanted to try it for sometime but there was no where close to listen to it. So, based on advice and all the reviews I did.

First I replaced the ML326s with the 720 preamp still using the Dart amp. Ivan said the ML was a weak link. Wow I never imagined a preamp could make so much difference. It was like a curtain was lifted. More detail sharper focus etc.

Then I installed the 710. Big difference. Iron grip base. Bigger sound stage. Instaments I had not heard before. Lack of any coloration at all. Great detail.

Of course retail is more than double. It should sound better. The preamp retails for 5 times what the ML does, but there is no comparison.

I have bought stuff only to be disappointed and then sell it. Not this stuff. I don't think I could go back to any coloration.

It says in the manual to get help moving the amp. You won't be tempted to move it yourself. It weighes 80 kilos.

Soulution says their Gear is an all out assault I believe them.

I know this gear can be updated but I doubt I ever will.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1411824817

cmarin 09-21-2014 12:16 PM

Congrats on the purchase of the 710/720 and finding it a very satisfying experience.

You mentioned a Dart amp. Did the 710 replace the Dartzeel NHB-108? Very curious to hear your direct comparison of the Dart and the 710. Thanks.

Car commander 09-21-2014 12:38 PM

The 710 did replace the Dart amp. The Dart amp sounded great with the 720 preamp. I could have stayed right there. The Dart amp has a slight coloration or smoothing that the Soulution doesn't have. The Soulution is also a little faster. It has .0006 distortion.
The Soulution is more detailed.

The preamp actually made a bigger difference than the amp.

Some would prefer the Dart amp. I do not. I still think the a Dart is a great amp and will hang on it for awhile.

You have both, what do you think?

Is a comparison even fair? The Soulution is a lot more expensive than the Dart.

Masterlu 09-21-2014 12:40 PM

Jim... Congrats on raising the bar once again! :thumbsup:

cmarin 09-21-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 639594)
The 710 did replace the Dart amp. The Dart amp sounded great with the 720 preamp. I could have stayed right there. The Dart amp has a slight coloration or smoothing that the Soulution doesn't have. The Soulution is also a little faster. It has .0006 distortion. The Soulution is more detailed. The preamp actually made a bigger difference than the amp. Some would prefer the Dart amp. I do not. I still think the a Dart is a great amp and will hang on it for awhile. You have both, what do you think? Is a comparison even fair? The Soulution is a lot more expensive than the Dart.

Actually I just traded my Dart amp.

Still have the Dart pre and just got a Robert Koda K15. My current amps are the CH Precision A1 monos. But should be receiving the upgraded Soulution 711/725 sometime next week.

The mains of the Soulutions are 240v so i'll have to install some new lines before I can listen to them; hopefully in a couple of weeks. The voltage on the Koda and the A1 mono is user switchable so that will make it easier to compare.

In terms of your assessment, it's on target. When I had the 710/725 combo, the Darts were my backup. The Soulutions were faster, more transparent, less colored. But the Darts also had a magic to them.

At this level, the differences are sublime and a question of personal taste. Especially if the rest of the elements of your system (i.e. Isolation, power quality/noise floor and room) have been optimized.

It's like comparing guitars, or cars for that matter. Fender vs Gibson for example. And even within the fender line, strat vs tele. They each have their charm. After playing a strat for a while, there's a real pleasure in playing a tele; and vice-aversa. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately they are both quality pieces - and variety is the spice of life.

Last night, for example, I was listening to the A1 monos and the Koda. The Koda has a very natural sound. It throws a tremendous soundstage especially depth, with great transparency and detail. It separates instruments and allows you to follow complex musical lines with ease. Some would call it slow, but it's very delicate and lures you into the music.

I then switched to the Dart. The Dart didn't have the depth of the soundstage of the Koda but it was still close and it does have a richness that I find appealing. I thoroughly enjoyed both presentations. If I had to pick only one, I'd probably pick the Koda. But I could easily live with the Dart. And I have for a long time.

Comparing the Koda, the Dart and Soulutions combo will be interesting and fun. I will probably end up keeping a main one and an alternate option. And it would make sense to pick the two that have the greatest contrast in presentation. But we shall see.

Car commander 09-21-2014 02:34 PM

I think that is what I will do as well. Switching back and forth would be fun. I have had the Dart for several years and really enjoyed it.

It's funny how you get to a level where you think change is only available in small increments.

Portugal 09-21-2014 07:16 PM

Always liked the Soulution look. Pictures please.

bvdiman 09-21-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmarin (Post 639615)
Actually I just traded my Dart amp.

Still have the Dart pre and just got a Robert Koda K15. My current amps are the CH Precision A1 monos. But should be receiving the upgraded Soulution 711/725 sometime next week.

The mains of the Soulutions are 240v so i'll have to install some new lines before I can listen to them; hopefully in a couple of weeks. The voltage on the Koda and the A1 mono is user switchable so that will make it easier to compare.

In terms of your assessment, it's on target. When I had the 710/725 combo, the Darts were my backup. The Soulutions were faster, more transparent, less colored. But the Darts also had a magic to them.

At this level, the differences are sublime and a question of personal taste. Especially if the rest of the elements of your system (i.e. Isolation, power quality/noise floor and room) have been optimized.

It's like comparing guitars, or cars for that matter. Fender vs Gibson for example. And even within the fender line, strat vs tele. They each have their charm. After playing a strat for a while, there's a real pleasure in playing a tele; and vice-aversa. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately they are both quality pieces - and variety is the spice of life.

Last night, for example, I was listening to the A1 monos and the Koda. The Koda has a very natural sound. It throws a tremendous soundstage especially depth, with great transparency and detail. It separates instruments and allows you to follow complex musical lines with ease. Some would call it slow, but it's very delicate and lures you into the music.

I then switched to the Dart. The Dart didn't have the depth of the soundstage of the Koda but it was still close and it does have a richness that I find appealing. I thoroughly enjoyed both presentations. If I had to pick only one, I'd probably pick the Koda. But I could easily live with the Dart. And I have for a long time.

Comparing the Koda, the Dart and Soulutions combo will be interesting and fun. I will probably end up keeping a main one and an alternate option. And it would make sense to pick the two that have the greatest contrast in presentation. But we shall see.

cmarin, Thanks for taking the time to share your findings.
Are the K15 and A1 new/broken-in units? More insight please as you get familiarized with them further. Also, most curious - keep us updated as to which of the two pairs finally be chosen worthy in your stable along with incoming Q7. Enjoy the play! :music:

bvdiman 09-21-2014 08:05 PM

Jim, Congrats on your new acquisition!
When I had my 710 side by side with ARC REF150 for one a half years, actually preferred the 710 (no, not a fair comparison considering price disparity).
Inspite the REF150 being tube, surprisingly the SS 710 presented the denser more palpable images - not to mention excelling in speed and dynamics as it rightly should.
*Careful cable choice helps ease/ameliorate somewhat their slightly cool tonal balance, ime. Enjoy them and keep us posted! :music:

Car commander 09-21-2014 09:01 PM

What cables did you like? My IC's are KS Elation and speaker Tara Omega Onyx. I may try KS elation speaker cables again but I liked the Tara's with the Dart amp. Hard to try everything no high end much in Atlanta.

Ref150 is a great amp but not really a fair comparison.

Car commander 09-21-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugal (Post 639680)
Always liked the Soulution look. Pictures please.

I can't get one to up load. Normally I can.

jdandy 09-21-2014 09:39 PM

http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/atta...worthless1.jpg

Car commander 09-21-2014 09:46 PM

They won't upload.

bvdiman 09-21-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 639705)
What cables did you like? My IC's are KS Elation and speaker Tara Omega Onyx. I may try KS elation speaker cables again but I liked the Tara's with the Dart amp. Hard to try everything no high end much in Atlanta.

Ref150 is a great amp but not really a fair comparison.

The KS Elation are fine cables - nicely balanced, neutral enough, do no wrong, and almost everything right, quite reasonably priced too - I had their IC, SC, PCs.
However, imo they lacked the organic touch, timbre richness/color saturation of the Siltech or TaraLabs Omega/Zero Gold I tested.
I ended with Siltech Royal Signature then, and have since been working my way up its chain, running a full loom now.
Or perhaps this maybe a good time for you to scout for current flagship Taras as new models soon to be released, I spotted few good bargains to be had in the used market.
My speakers (as do yours?) incorporated ceramic drivers, so I found cabling with inherent richness especially in midband region complemented them very nicely.
*Imo, where Siltech has an edge over Tara is their ability to project the more 3D palpable, holographic presentation of images/instruments.

cmarin 09-21-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvdiman (Post 639686)
cmarin, Thanks for taking the time to share your findings. Are the K15 and A1 new/broken-in units? More insight please as you get familiarized with them further. Also, most curious - keep us updated as to which of the two pairs finally be chosen worthy in your stable along with incoming Q7. Enjoy the play! :music:

Hi bvdiman,

My pleasure. You're welcome.

Both were gently used and still breaking in; though mostly settled in now.

Definitely will. Still waiting for delivery of new electrical panel and grounding system so that the final leg can begin. As a friend aptly stated: "god grant me patience....NOW!" :)

bvdiman 09-21-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmarin (Post 639723)
Hi bvdiman,

My pleasure. You're welcome.

Both were gently used and still breaking in; though mostly settled in now.

Definitely will. Still waiting for delivery of new electrical panel and grounding system so that the final leg can begin. As a friend aptly stated: "god grant me patience....NOW!" :)

Cool!
Happy for you.. :beerchug:

Car commander 09-26-2014 12:34 PM

I have tried several different power cables on the 710 amp. A nordost Valhalla and a Harmonics AC11 and neither seem to make the slightest difference. On other amps it does make a difference.

thesaint519 09-26-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 639580)
After having a chat with Ivan, I recently purchased the Soulution 720 preamp and 710 amplifier. I have wanted to try it for sometime but there was no where close to listen to it. So, based on advice and all the reviews I did. First I replaced the ML326s with the 720 preamp still using the Dart amp. Ivan said the ML was a weak link. Wow I never imagined a preamp could make so much difference. It was like a curtain was lifted. More detail sharper focus etc. Then I installed the 710. Big difference. Iron grip base. Bigger sound stage. Instaments I had not heard before. Lack of any coloration at all. Great detail. Of course retail is more than double. It should sound better. The preamp retails for 5 times what the ML does, but there is no comparison. I have bought stuff only to be disappointed and then sell it. Not this stuff. I don't think I could go back to any coloration. It says in the manual to get help moving the amp. You won't be tempted to move it yourself. It weighes 80 kilos. Soulution says their Gear is an all out assault I believe them. I know this gear can be updated but I doubt I ever will.

Congratulations!! Happy listening.

bvdiman 09-26-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car commander (Post 640466)
I have tried several different power cables on the 710 amp. A nordost Valhalla and a Harmonics AC11 and neither seem to make the slightest difference. On other amps it does make a difference.

The original pc that came with amp (forgot brand)--fairly thin, flexible, black lustrous sheath--as I recall was quite good. I had mine refitted with a nice Furutech plug.
Sound was natural, balanced & resolute--may have to do more than Valhalla to outdo them. Elation did make for quite noticeable improvements, namely--drive, body, as well more natural timbre.

zbub 12-09-2014 03:44 AM

Soulution

Congrats on getting the 720/710 combo from a fellow Soultion owner. I use their 721 linestage driving an FM Acoustics 611X. Love the 721!

zbub 12-09-2014 04:03 AM

IIRC the cable that came with my Soulution 721 was an HMS Cable. Decent sounding cable actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvdiman (Post 640516)
The original pc that came with amp (forgot brand)--fairly thin, flexible, black lustrous sheath--as I recall was quite good. I had mine refitted with a nice Furutech plug.
Sound was natural, balanced & resolute--may have to do more than Valhalla to outdo them. Elation did make for quite noticeable improvements, namely--drive, body, as well more natural timbre.

bds 11-22-2016 05:32 AM

no pictures but a question.....

Make sense change a Passlas combo ( Xp20-XA100.8) with a 710+720?

Please opinion....

Thank you

anonymous 11-30-2016 07:10 PM

For sonic neutrality the Soulution 710 is near impossible to beat so from that perspective "yes", as the Soulution 720 is from the same cloth. If you’re looking for different sound(s), single ended triodes and horns can keep you busy for many lifetimes.

imprezap2 12-01-2016 06:57 AM

imho, yes, the Soulution amps are among the fastest you can buy at the moment.

PASSFREAK 12-09-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bds (Post 814984)

Please opinion....

Thank you

I have a Pass Labs XP-20/X 600's combo in my home for a year now and listen in my last vacations in April the Soulution gear with Magico Q5 loudspeakers in Paris, France.
In my oppinion is not better than Pass, only sounds different.At this level is only a matter of personal tastes, any of this brands are at the maximum level in sound quality.
I don't feel that Soulution was much better that Pass Labs at all.Invest your money in loudspeakers, they really makes the difference.
Hope this helps
Pablo

raidho 12-11-2016 02:17 PM

Hello Pablo,

I have too Passlabs. in this moment I use the XA100.8 - Xp20 - Lumin S1 with Kenneth lau PSU, Accu DP550 cd player.

Before always Pass and I like Passlabs "sound".

Sure Soulution sound different....better? I'm too not so sure. (i'm in Switzerland and Soulution it's not far...)

Speaker: Wilson Sasha2.

I will have a pair of Magico S series..... change the speakers make a good "changing" -> Wilson sound good!! Respekt! but a new speaker (Magico S3 or S5) interests me very much.... Dynaudio is too a great speaker and TIdal. Very differnt as Magico and not sure that Pass is the top combo with Tidal.....

New speaker or new electronic?

You use a Magico or?

FlexibleAudio 12-11-2016 04:23 PM

Combine the Soulution with a pair of your Member Name Speakers..say the D3.1 and you will have a winner. YMMV

bds 12-12-2016 05:54 AM

Hello FlexibleAudio,

I had the C3.1 but no thanks! (used with the Pass class A) and for my taste is a total NO GOOD MATCH!

Raidho with the D "serie" is sure better vs C serie but overpriced. in place of Raidho I buy Dynaudio or a ceramic/Diamont tweeter from Tidal!

of course this is my taste,

PlanarSpeakerFan 12-12-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio (Post 819261)
Combine the Soulution with a pair of your Member Name Speakers..say the D3.1 and you will have a winner. YMMV

Hi Paul,

Nice to see you posting again! How is your room coming along? Were you able to get all the proper room treatments from RPG?

Best,
Ken

PlanarSpeakerFan 12-12-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bds (Post 814984)

Please opinion....

Thank you

Hi BDS,

I moved a couple years ago from Pass XP-30 & XA-100.8 to Soulution 520 & 501. I was very pleased with the move. The Soulution gear was faster, had tighter and more controlled bass, and was more clear in the midrange and treble due to much lower distortion. The 520 & 501 offered slightly less warmth than the Pass XP-30 & XA-100.8 but there was sufficient warmth for me due to the first 20 watts being in Class A. The 720 & 710 are more transparent and deliver greater dynamics and weight than 520 & 501 but have less warmth as they are extremely neutral. The 725 & 711 have similar warmth and sonic signature to the 520 & 501. The 720 & 710 can be upgraded by Soulution to the 725 & 711 if you are so inclined.

Ken

bds 12-13-2016 06:31 AM

Hello Ken,

in place to change my speaker Sasha2 with the Magico S1mk2 or better S5mk2 (now make no sesne invest money wih the S3 "mk1"....)

I can go with the Soulution.

I am in Switzerland and I have contact with Soulution.
upgrade preampli 720 to 725 is perhaps the first step. after the ampli from 710 to 711.
or you think will be better before the ampli from 710 to 711?

My Sasha2 are right now with Pass very controlled in LF too. Sure Soulution sound different. I know, Soulution is really fast.....

what for speaker speaker you use with the 501-520?

thx

imprezap2 12-13-2016 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bds (Post 819373)
Hello FlexibleAudio,

I had the C3.1 but no thanks! (used with the Pass class A) and for my taste is a total NO GOOD MATCH!

Raidho with the D "serie" is sure better vs C serie but overpriced. in place of Raidho I buy Dynaudio or a ceramic/Diamont tweeter from Tidal!

of course this is my taste,

Raidho's can have an emphasized mid bass, but with careful placement and matching speaker cables, they can be fantastic. (the tweeters are among the best imho)

I have the smallest Raidho's in my second set (X1), and everytime I listen to them I am amazed by them. (The amp is a Devialet 200)

I think that Raidho's can be a great match with Soulution gear, but as always, try before you buy.

imprezap2 12-13-2016 06:58 AM

By the way, the new Magico's S3mkII are being introduced now, delivery starts in 2017.

PlanarSpeakerFan 12-14-2016 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bds (Post 819544)
Hello Ken,

in place to change my speaker Sasha2 with the Magico S1mk2 or better S5mk2 (now make no sesne invest money wih the S3 "mk1"....)

I can go with the Soulution.

I am in Switzerland and I have contact with Soulution.
upgrade preampli 720 to 725 is perhaps the first step. after the ampli from 710 to 711.
or you think will be better before the ampli from 710 to 711?

My Sasha2 are right now with Pass very controlled in LF too. Sure Soulution sound different. I know, Soulution is really fast.....

what for speaker speaker you use with the 501-520?

thx

Hi BDS,

Soulution and Magico are a great match, some real synergy there. I had Raidho D-3 with Soulution 520 & 501 and again great synergy. The 501's high damping factor really controlled the D-3's bass.

You may want to try Soulution 720 & 710 with Magico first before you upgrade them. It may sound just right. But since you owned Pass Labs, you may want more warmth which the upgrade would give you. The amp upgrade should warm the sound more than the preamp upgrade, so I would do that first.

You can read this TAS review for further details:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...lifier/?page=3

Ken

Thieliste 12-04-2018 05:23 PM

Would it be possible to pair the Soulution 711 with tube preamp ?
How good would that be ?