AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What are you using for Roon Endpoint (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51805)

Chad.Wagner 12-05-2022 12:26 AM

What are you using for Roon Endpoint

Looking at a Lumina U2 mini or a Sonore ultraRendu.

Puma Cat 12-05-2022 03:05 AM

I'm using a Lumin P1. It's one of a handful of the most impressive components I've ever used or experienced.

Of the two you're considering, I would recommend you get the Lumin U2 Mini.

Lumin has got it...goin' on.

clpetersen 12-05-2022 09:10 AM

Hey Chad - still skiing?

It depends also on whether you want to use an existing DAC or a DAC w/o streaming built in.

In my case I put a SotM Neo in front of a Chord DAC - this works seamlessly - Roon 'knows' it is a Chord DAC, automagically.
In other case, for multiroom say, I use Sonos Port, or independent Sonos speakers - Roon controls these without issues. Just limited to std Redbook (CD) format on Sonos.

Puma Cat 12-05-2022 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 1069319)
Hey Chad - still skiing?

It depends also on whether you want to use an existing DAC or a DAC w/o streaming built in.

In my case I put a SotM Neo in front of a Chord DAC - this works seamlessly - Roon 'knows' it is a Chord DAC, automagically.
In other case, for multiroom say, I use Sonos Port, or independent Sonos speakers - Roon controls these without issues. Just limited to std Redbook (CD) format on Sonos.

The SOtM Neo is a really good product. May knows what she's doing. I'm going to be putting mine up for sale here soon.

bart 12-05-2022 05:10 PM

I'm in a bit of a special situation: my Grimm MU1 streamer is server and endpoint (and clock and upscaler) at the same time.

But I can also use my Mola Mola as endpoint.

Puma Cat 12-05-2022 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1069325)
I'm in a bit of a special situation: my Grimm MU1 streamer is server and endpoint (and clock and upscaler) at the same time.

But I can also use my Mola Mola as endpoint.

Yep, agreed, Bart. There's lots of different "design embodiments" for this new class of gear, and part of the "confusion" that this can cause is there is no standard lexicon or terminology for them. So, this is one of those potentially exasperating conundrumns where the answer is: it depends. :confused-2:

For example, is it a "streamer" or a "network bridge". Or, not? :scratch2:

:D

Chad.Wagner 12-05-2022 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 1069319)
Hey Chad - still skiing?

I gain a bunch of weight since Covid and have not skied for the last two summers. Very sad. The happiest place on earth is behind a boat skiing.

W9TR 12-06-2022 01:01 PM

RPiAES

Jdsmoke 12-06-2022 06:40 PM

I’m using 2 options: Esoteric N-05XD Network DAC for my 2 channel system and a Bluesound Node in the entertainment room rig.

Antonmb 12-06-2022 07:01 PM

I use an UltraRendu in a headphone system and find it very good as just a streamer/endpoint. For what it's worth, I tried the Lumin D2 entry-level network streamer/DAC in another system and was disappointed, the sound was overly bright and edgy. However that was probably more to do with the DAC than the streamer, so maybe not be a reflection on the U2.