AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Astell & Kern: Something New Coming? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30250)

robfine 02-14-2015 06:03 PM

Astell & Kern: Something New Coming?

I was looking to upgrade my AK 120 (original) to either the AK 120 II or AK 240. When looking on Amazon I noticed that the AK 120 II is now being sold by a number of sellers for $1399 instead of the retail price of $1699. Selling price drops often portend a new or upgraded model coming soon so before I make the jump, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about a new or upgraded model coming out.

BTW: the AK 120 is great ( when I upgrade mine will go to my daughter who I have been slowly and deviously indoctrinating into the world of high-quality sound-- first by giving her some Westone IEMs to listen to her iPod and computer music, buying her "music" gifts from HD Tracks instead of the iTunes Store, then gifting her with a Fiio DAC-amp for the Westones-- and next the AK. My evil mission is almost compete). If anyone is put off by the price of the AK 100 II, 120 II or 240, the AK 120 can be had for much less money and is really a treat (great sound, twin DACs and really good battery life-- a great way to dip your toe in the water of high-end portable sound with a smaller investment than the newer AKs). Anyway, back to my question. Anybody heard anything?

Thanks

Mr. Big 02-14-2015 09:17 PM

I can't imagine the AK120II being discontinued so soon after its initial launch... I picked up one of the first units sold in the states at the Newport show last June. But who knows what they have planned.

robfine 02-14-2015 09:47 PM

Well then. I may just go say me 300 bucks.

FlashG1 02-15-2015 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfine (Post 675007)
I was looking to upgrade my AK 120 (original) to either the AK 120 II or AK 240. When looking on Amazon I noticed that the AK 120 II is now being sold by a number of sellers for $1399 instead of the retail price of $1699. Selling price drops often portend a new or upgraded model coming soon so before I make the jump, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about a new or upgraded model coming out. BTW: the AK 120 is great ( when I upgrade mine will go to my daughter who I have been slowly and deviously indoctrinating into the world of high-quality sound-- first by giving her some Westone IEMs to listen to her iPod and computer music, buying her "music" gifts from HD Tracks instead of the iTunes Store, then gifting her with a Fiio DAC-amp for the Westones-- and next the AK. My evil mission is almost compete). If anyone is put off by the price of the AK 100 II, 120 II or 240, the AK 120 can be had for much less money and is really a treat (great sound, twin DACs and really good battery life-- a great way to dip your toe in the water of high-end portable sound with a smaller investment than the newer AKs). Anyway, back to my question. Anybody heard anything? Thanks

Every daughter and son should be so lucky to have a parent on this "evil mission." ;-)

radio times 02-15-2015 09:22 AM

I'd stick with the 120 myself. Is a bigger fish worth it?

Puma Cat 02-18-2015 12:39 AM

Only you can decide that for yourself, but the A&K website has a fair bit of explanation as to why they are of the view that the new "II" series designs (not MkII) are superior to the original designs.

I personally think the AK100 II is the best value proposition, and am still enjoying mine immensely. A superior product.

Golucid 02-18-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfine (Post 675007)
I was looking to upgrade my AK 120 (original) to either the AK 120 II or AK 240. When looking on Amazon I noticed that the AK 120 II is now being sold by a number of sellers for $1399 instead of the retail price of $1699. Selling price drops often portend a new or upgraded model coming soon so before I make the jump, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about a new or upgraded model coming out. BTW: the AK 120 is great ( when I upgrade mine will go to my daughter who I have been slowly and deviously indoctrinating into the world of high-quality sound-- first by giving her some Westone IEMs to listen to her iPod and computer music, buying her "music" gifts from HD Tracks instead of the iTunes Store, then gifting her with a Fiio DAC-amp for the Westones-- and next the AK. My evil mission is almost compete). If anyone is put off by the price of the AK 100 II, 120 II or 240, the AK 120 can be had for much less money and is really a treat (great sound, twin DACs and really good battery life-- a great way to dip your toe in the water of high-end portable sound with a smaller investment than the newer AKs). Anyway, back to my question. Anybody heard anything? Thanks

Funny you should ask. Last week I spoke with the VP and I asked that very question - upgrade to the AK240 or others. In that conversation, nothing suggested that the existing models are due for a refresh.

imprezap2 02-18-2015 12:06 PM

Like the look of this player, might be good competition for the A&K

Calyx M

See if I can find it next week in Singapore

Golucid 02-19-2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imprezap2 (Post 675967)
Like the look of this player, might be good competition for the A&K Calyx M See if I can find it next week in Singapore

very interesting. nice iphone influences. two things missing no balanced output [ak240] and less128gb but those two missing options are certainly not worth spending an additional $1500. iRiver will need to step it up quick!

radio times 02-19-2015 12:49 PM

When there's an improvement to sabres, AK will be there. 340?