AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New McIntosh ML1 Mk II (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=52244)

McMan 05-21-2023 10:58 AM

I like the concept, but I would have removed the logo at the base and done a simple black cloth removal grill with a tiny Mc label.

Charles 05-21-2023 11:15 AM

Since they are sealed I feel much better about the speaker. My guess would have been ported. When I was a kid I saw a pair of ML-2C's in Decatur Alabama where I grew up. They were owned by a physician who had a full McIntosh system. I listened to them in his living room. They must have sounded pretty good because I was listening to Bozak Concert Grands at home. I don't remember being negatively impressed.

I was fascinated by McIntosh as a kid. Mac sent out all kinds of extensive literature as to why their speakers were better than anybody's. The ML-1C and 2C launched Mac as a speaker company. Recently, Mac has switched to ported systems as have almost all manufacturers, but their speakers used to be sealed. Mac has extensive experience producing sealed systems similar to this "new" speaker, which really is not be new at all but based on their experience with the ML series, hopefully. If this be the case, I am much warmer to the speaker. It will be a real competitor to the Tune Tot or the Harbeth M40.3 XD. I love the styling for obvious reasons. It reminds me so vividly of my childhood.

Mac is the only company that can look back 50 plus years and recreate a classic like an ML-1C.

p.s. if you vist Roger Russell's website you can read all about the ML-1C.

Best

Charles

Vintage Pete 05-21-2023 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1074414)
Since they are sealed I feel much better about the speaker. My guess would have been ported. When I was a kid I saw a pair of ML-2C's in Decatur Alabama where I grew up. They were owned by a physician who had a full McIntosh system. I listened to them in his living room. They must have sounded pretty good because I was listening to Bozak Concert Grands at home. I don't remember being negatively impressed.

I was fascinated by McIntosh as a kid. Mac sent out all kinds of extensive literature as to why their speakers were better than anybody's. The ML-1C and 2C launched Mac as a speaker company. Recently, Mac has switched to ported systems as have almost all manufacturers, but their speakers used to be sealed. Mac has extensive experience producing sealed systems similar to this "new" speaker, which really is not be new at all but based on their experience with the ML series, hopefully. If this be the case, I am much warmer to the speaker. It will be a real competitor to the Tune Tot or the Harbeth M40.3 XD. I love the styling for obvious reasons. It reminds me so vividly of my childhood.

Mac is the only company that can look back 50 plus years and recreate a classic like an ML-1C.

p.s. if you vist Roger Russell's website you can read all about the ML-1C.

Best

Charles

Charles...let's not forget JBL and the L100, reborn as the L100 Classic.

Glad to see at least one or two here with an open mind.

My brother has a pair of original ML-1C. He loves them, and I would say they do sound pretty darn good in his system.

PeterMusic 05-22-2023 08:58 AM

Charles,

I share your admiration of McIntosh and nostalgia for our collectively lost youth. But the sad thing about this is exactly the point you make--the sales materials did not describe in any meaningful way why this speaker is "better than anybody's".

To Vintage Pete's JBL, I would add Harbeth and (almost, at a spry 49 years!) Wilson.

Charles 05-22-2023 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 1074432)
Charles,

I share your admiration of McIntosh and nostalgia for our collectively lost youth. But the sad thing about this is exactly the point you make--the sales materials did not describe in any meaningful way why this speaker is "better than anybody's".

To Vintage Pete's JBL, I would add Harbeth and (almost, at a spry 49 years!) Wilson.

Peter, I basically agree but the ML-1C nevertheless is the speaker that launched Mac as a speaker manufacturer. They are for sale on the internet as is the ML-2C whereas I doubt that you could find a 49 year old Harbeth or Wilson. The literature was important in that it showed the extensive research that went into the ML-1C which involved the use of equalization etc. Roger Russell has a very nice description of the original ML-1C.

Certainly, this does not mean to imply that the new version will be better or even as good sonically as the JBL, Wilson, or Harbeth. The competition is stiff but I'll bet that Mac will sell a lot of them.:yes:

Best

Charles

miatadan 05-25-2023 07:43 PM

I am considering these speakers as would eliminate needing subwoofer.
Also like the idea of sealed cabinet.
This design looks more appealing than the XR100 with so many drivers. Not a fan of gloss finish.

Also looked at the JBL L100 classic but not crazy about made in China.

Maybe because of my age, prefer the retro looks.

Dan

piolaxo 05-25-2023 09:02 PM

I'm sorry, but not much of fan of this design. Other than update a vintage system,
and they could take it to a very high level according to all the development done to them,
why would you want to go this way?

Charles 05-26-2023 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatadan (Post 1074503)
I am considering these speakers as would eliminate needing subwoofer.
Also like the idea of sealed cabinet.
This design looks more appealing than the XR100 with so many drivers. Not a fan of gloss finish.

Also looked at the JBL L100 classic but not crazy about made in China.

Maybe because of my age, prefer the retro looks.

Dan

I think the design is quite solid. I too like the fact that it is sealed. I believe it will have plenty of excellent bass. I too like the retro looks. It's very appealing to my eye. Yes, you are paying more because it is hand built by Mac in New York and not China or the UK. I hope that you buy a pair. There will always be detractors of any speaker but the new ML1 has a solid heritage. :yes:

Best

Charles

FreddieFerric 05-26-2023 11:30 AM

The look reminds me of the current KLH offering.

Charles 06-20-2023 04:35 PM

I spoke with my Mac friend regarding the new ML1. He heard it using a 611"s and C12000/MCD12000 in the Mac listening room. He was also playing the XRT1.1K's. He said the woofer was enormous and the bass was quite impressive going very low with great output even without the equalizer. The sound was basically "west coast" and that Mac spent quite a bit of money on the two midranges. He said the crossover was nearly the size of the woofer. It comes in four boxes. Two for the speakers and two for the stands. It really seems that Mac has gone all out in the design of the new ML1. According to my friend they have sold out already. He was demonstrating them to Eastern Europeans executives.

Best

Charles