AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Good Pre-Amp to go with Momentum S250 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50534)

Grasshopper 11-16-2021 08:29 AM

Good Pre-Amp to go with Momentum S250

I’m really enjoying my time with my “new to me” D’ag S250.

It is making my Aidas sound like I’ve never heard them before. Great combo!

I’m currently using a Mcintosh c2300 preamp, and it all actually sounds very good.

I realize my preamp, and my DAC (d100) are the weak links in my system.

I’ve always liked the tube pre/ solid state amp combo as I prefer a warm sound.

What pre-amp options have you heard that great synergy with D’ag power?

Someday I may spring for a Momentum HD pre, but for now I’m looking for something different.

Grasshopper 11-23-2021 01:13 PM

Anyone?

2fastdriving 11-23-2021 04:41 PM

I have seen some people use the Audio Research Ref6/Ref6SE, and obviously I do love that preamp but I don't have experience with that particular combo. I would love to know how it sounds vs a Momentum HD on a D'Agostino amp.

JoeN 11-23-2021 05:38 PM

EMM Labs PRE and DA2 V2 are really good.

audioguy3107 11-23-2021 06:49 PM

Gotta plug the Momentum HD here only because of direct personal experience.....not only that but was able to directly compare the C2300 since that was what I had as well. Suffice to say, the S250 was quite the upgrade from my McIntosh MC402, but there seemed to be something missing. Not only that, I had quite a bit of noise coming from my preamp that was passed on to the S250. My dealer even spoke to Bill McKiegan about the issue and he speculated that it was some sort of mismatch between the tube pre and the S250. My dealer brought over a Progression preamp for a weekend to troubleshoot the problem as well as to compare the sound quality. Well, it wasn't even close, as soon as the preamp went in, it was like looking a a vivid, colorful picture rather than a 2D black and white pic. The extraneous electronic noise and hiss I was getting disappeared immediately and was replaced by a jet black background. I know that the Momentum HD may have to wait awhile for you, but the sooner you get there, the less upgrading and losing money on the secondary market you have to worry about.

- Buck

Antonmb 11-23-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 1049373)
I know that the Momentum HD may have to wait awhile for you, but the sooner you get there, the less upgrading and losing money on the secondary market you have to worry about.

- Buck

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Grasshopper 11-24-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 1049361)
I have seen some people use the Audio Research Ref6/Ref6SE, and obviously I do love that preamp but I don't have experience with that particular combo. I would love to know how it sounds vs a Momentum HD on a D'Agostino amp.

I think a buddy has one of those. I should try it out!

Grasshopper 11-24-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1049366)
EMM Labs PRE and DA2 V2 are really good.

Thank you

Grasshopper 11-24-2021 01:25 PM

I really appreciate your reply.

You have direct experience with the C2300 which I currently have, and upgraded from the MC402, which was also my former amp. Looks like I'm following in your footsteps.

I would love to find a used Momentum HD - which I suspect is just right.

Glad to hear it was worth the upgrade-

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 1049373)
Gotta plug the Momentum HD here only because of direct personal experience.....not only that but was able to directly compare the C2300 since that was what I had as well. Suffice to say, the S250 was quite the upgrade from my McIntosh MC402, but there seemed to be something missing. Not only that, I had quite a bit of noise coming from my preamp that was passed on to the S250. My dealer even spoke to Bill McKiegan about the issue and he speculated that it was some sort of mismatch between the tube pre and the S250. My dealer brought over a Progression preamp for a weekend to troubleshoot the problem as well as to compare the sound quality. Well, it wasn't even close, as soon as the preamp went in, it was like looking a a vivid, colorful picture rather than a 2D black and white pic. The extraneous electronic noise and hiss I was getting disappeared immediately and was replaced by a jet black background. I know that the Momentum HD may have to wait awhile for you, but the sooner you get there, the less upgrading and losing money on the secondary market you have to worry about.

- Buck

zettelsm 12-06-2021 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1049353)
Anyone?

Well, you did say you might someday try the D'Agostino HD but right now you were thinking of something different.

The HD sounds superb with my S250 and Aidas so while I'm sure there are other great combinations out there I've never felt the least inclination to go another direction.

Good luck with your quest. One of the nice aspects of this hobby is trying different things and learning stuff.

Steve Z

turntable 12-06-2021 05:21 AM

conrad johnson GAT drives the S250 wonderfully.

Grasshopper 12-07-2021 12:42 AM

All- here is my new dilemma-

I currently use a Mcintosh MEN220 in the chain (between the pre-amp and the power amp).

The active crossover in the 220 is awesome (I run 4 subs), and the room correction makes a big difference which sounds better.

I spent a lot of time today playing with my setup- and took the MEN220 completely out of the chain.

It sounds way better in the chain-

I expect an upgraded preamp (read D’agostino Momentum HD) would improve the sound - but having the MEN220 between the preamp and amp seems like I’d miss out on impedance matching etc.

What’s a guy to do-

(Room treatments are on the horizon, so ideally I could eliminate the need for the 220…but it really sounds better in the chain.

crwilli 12-07-2021 09:50 AM

From afar, I would suggest you prioritize your room treatments over anything else and if you haven’t already, take steps to insure your system has adequate and clean power (dedicated lines, etc).

I have had both the C2300 and an MEN 220 when I was running Infinity IRS Betas. The MEN220 was a necessary surgical instrument. However, as I progressed and moved to the Strads and one Sub, I found the MEN220 was adding a layer of haze/noise into the sound. I moved to a JLAudio CR-1 crossover and it was night and day. Much cleaner sound and just as good if not better mains/sub integration.

I have not heard the D’Ag pre but would assume being solid state, that at a high level it will have less noise than the tube based C2300.

Get your fundamentals right first then move on major electronics.

FreddieFerric 12-07-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1049419)
I really appreciate your reply.

You have direct experience with the C2300 which I currently have, and upgraded from the MC402, which was also my former amp. Looks like I'm following in your footsteps.

I would love to find a used Momentum HD - which I suspect is just right.

Glad to hear it was worth the upgrade-

OK: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...hd-solid-state

Grasshopper 12-07-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1050294)

I’ve spoken to that seller. Have a couple others I’m also looking at.

Wifey says “no” to the black as she wants it to match :).

Thanks for sharing.

Grasshopper 12-07-2021 06:24 PM

Wise words!

I may be trying to do too much at once.

(It doesn’t hurt that my wife is on board with the spending right now).

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1050266)
From afar, I would suggest you prioritize your room treatments over anything else and if you haven’t already, take steps to insure your system has adequate and clean power (dedicated lines, etc).

I have had both the C2300 and an MEN 220 when I was running Infinity IRS Betas. The MEN220 was a necessary surgical instrument. However, as I progressed and moved to the Strads and one Sub, I found the MEN220 was adding a layer of haze/noise into the sound. I moved to a JLAudio CR-1 crossover and it was night and day. Much cleaner sound and just as good if not better mains/sub integration.

I have not heard the D’Ag pre but would assume being solid state, that at a high level it will have less noise than the tube based C2300.

bart 12-08-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

:goodpost:

Grasshopper 12-09-2021 12:51 PM

For what it's worth, we just finished our basement. In doing so, I added 10 dedicated 20 amp circuits.

I also have a PS Audio P10 which feeds my entire front end (other than my amp, which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp direct).

All of my subs are each on their own dedicated line.

I'm pretty well set with clean power.

We are going to get a thick area rug, and some corner bass traps, and a few panels to bring down the slap echo as I have a lot of hard surfaces.

Treatments are on the top of my list. And coming soon-

Where I'm still torn, is once I get the treatments right - I expect some improvement, but I know I have some weak links in my system. Source and Preamp are the clear weak links.

I am very much in the mode of finding the right pre-amp (even if I have a lot of tweaking to do)-

My concern dilemma is integrating 4 subs the best possible way.

The MEN220 does a great job taking the lowest frequencies away from the mains and offloading that to the subs. I can imagine the JL Audio CR-1 may do this well (and possibly be cleaner).

My concern is, does having either the MEN220 or the JL CR-1 between between a reference preamp and reference amp water down the connection.

Everything I have read about components is the impedance matching between preamp and amp is the secret sauce for good sound.

Does the MEN220 or JL-CR1 mess with this "perfect matching", or are they designed to pass that through?

(I can certainly get XLR splitters out of the preamp, and keep the signal "pure", but that would result in sending a full signal to the Aidas {which ultimately they can handle}, and working the crossover in the subs alone. Being able to take the lowest frequencies away from the mains, and using an active crossover cleans up the sound and takes some pressure off the amp as well).

Quote:

crwilli 12-09-2021 01:43 PM

Holy crap! That’s a lot of dedicated lines. You don’t mess around.

I can’t comment about the synergy. I do know the CR1 is more invisible than the MEN220. It is only a crossover and keeps the signal in the analog domain. The MEN 220 passes the signal through its AD-DA conversion all the time.

Grasshopper 12-09-2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1050468)
Holy crap! That’s a lot of dedicated lines. You don’t mess around.

I can’t comment about the synergy. I do know the CR1 is more invisible than the MEN220. It is only a crossover and keeps the signal in the analog domain. The MEN 220 passes the signal through its AD-DA conversion all the time.

Lol- I erred on the side of too many rather than too few.

My electrician though I was nuts- we totally maxed out the sub panel :)

I’m intrigued at the CR1 I’ll look at adding one of those in the mix after I tame my room.

I’m listening now, and it sounds pretty dang good—-I just know it can be better

Delmac 12-12-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1050325)
I’ve spoken to that seller. Have a couple others I’m also looking at.

Wifey says “no” to the black as she wants it to match :).

Thanks for sharing.

Well I’m glad we didn’t have to bid against each other on that one. Had a great experience with the seller, now just trying to convince him to sell me his black S250, so I can send to D’ag for the Mvx upgrade

Grasshopper 12-15-2021 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delmac (Post 1050804)
Well I’m glad we didn’t have to bid against each other on that one. Had a great experience with the seller, now just trying to convince him to sell me his black S250, so I can send to D’ag for the Mvx upgrade

Congrats again!

Be sure to post what you think of your killer new preamp. I think I may be close on one. We’ll see next week.

Delmac 12-21-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1050999)
Congrats again!

Be sure to post what you think of your killer new preamp. I think I may be close on one. We’ll see next week.

The Momentum HD is incredible. It sounded much better than my C1100 with my previous speakers, but now that I have it with the JA Pearls, it's really sweet. Now awaiting for my S250 to come to me...Thank Steve !!! I'll listen to that for awhile and await to hear some reviews on the MvX and see if worthwhile.

Grasshopper 12-21-2021 05:07 PM

I’m stoked!

I just bought my Momentum HD this afternoon. Should arrive on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to me!

Thanks to all who helped. Especially @still-one who connected me with the seller.

FreddieFerric 01-16-2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 1051501)
I’m stoked!

I just bought my Momentum HD this afternoon. Should arrive on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to me!

Thanks to all who helped. Especially @still-one who connected me with the seller.

Couple of weeks in now. How's it working out?

Grasshopper 01-17-2022 12:47 PM

Initially I was shocked (not in a good way). Seems like the preamp was highlighting flaws in my source.

I’ve swapped my DAC with much better results and things are sounding pretty good.

The momentum HD sure brings details out of the music.

Anthony 03-22-2022 02:14 AM

My top Soulution 725s preamp doesn’t seem like a good match to the very high Mohm impedance of the S250.

However, it’s worth mentioning that the UK made Chord DAVE Dac (FPGA) driving the Momentum direct is a total success story and highly recommended. The DAVE Dac in preamp mode has a high 6v balanced output so volume control is wide. Overall an impressive sound quality.