AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   B&W Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Center Voicing Question (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49709)

70sMac 03-25-2021 06:55 PM

Center Voicing Question

As we were searching for a new center speaker last year, we read all manner of information about "voicing" one's center speaker to match one's fronts.

I've been working on other things for several months, so perhaps I've forgotten something...but, considering that a center speaker in a 5.1 surround setup is where all the spoken dialog in movies is sent, does it really matter which brand and which model you use with your fronts?

As the signature (below) shows, we're using -- and are quite happy with -- the N802s we've owned since before Katrina washed us out of NOLA. I realize that the NHMTM1 was meant to be the center speaker of choice for these particular speakers, but would...say an HTM1D3 or a smaller HTM2D3 really be so out of place as a center channel in a 5.1 surround setup?

I'm sure that I've forgotten something here, but a speaker that's used for spoken dialog seems to be a bit different than the wide spectrum of sound that one hears through front speakers.

Thank you for your time :lurk:

Masterlu 03-25-2021 07:15 PM

The LCR all need to be voiced the same. Aside from dialogue, the center channel is the hardest working channel in a 5.1 setup.

InVinoVeritasty 03-26-2021 08:51 PM

70sMac, You'll get lots of other advice about needing the latest, but I would suggest to you that the N802s are exceptionally fine speakers, and arguably a high point before the redesign of the crossovers and the placement of the tweeters in front of the mid drivers, (if you need more bass, a subwoofer is the answer). Keep an eye out for a HTM1 and you will have all your ears will ever need. Oh, look at this and maybe make an offer.

Cheers! And enjoy your speakers.

George Prentice 03-26-2021 09:00 PM

I have an all B&W 805 5 channel home theater. I will say the human voice is one of the big things to me that changes among speakers. I have a few recordings that are mostly voices for testing. One system can make a voice thin and high pitched... like naked and another robust and full and rich. I believe 85% of the content comes out of the center channel. I was familiar with the rule of thumb as I assembled my home theater and so made sure they were all identical. But my experience with sound suggests that having them voiced differently could be disconcerting.

Madfonzy 03-27-2021 01:26 AM

I am thinking you will notice a mismatch in voicing if you go for the latest D3 series centre. Current range has the continuum cone midrange where the previous has kevlar. Used to run 805D2's as fronts and then changed to 803D3 and I did notice a difference in midrange voicing for the better though. I also ran the CMC2 for a short while for the centre speaker before I upgraded to the HTM2D3. Best to have made the 3 front speakers from the same series.

hdvidguy 03-27-2021 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70sMac (Post 1035622)
As we were searching for a new center speaker last year, we read all manner of information about "voicing" one's center speaker to match one's fronts.

I've been working on other things for several months, so perhaps I've forgotten something...but, considering that a center speaker in a 5.1 surround setup is where all the spoken dialog in movies is sent, does it really matter which brand and which model you use with your fronts?

As the signature (below) shows, we're using -- and are quite happy with -- the N802s we've owned since before Katrina washed us out of NOLA. I realize that the NHMTM1 was meant to be the center speaker of choice for these particular speakers, but would...say an HTM1D3 or a smaller HTM2D3 really be so out of place as a center channel in a 5.1 surround setup?

I'm sure that I've forgotten something here, but a speaker that's used for spoken dialog seems to be a bit different than the wide spectrum of sound that one hears through front speakers.

Thank you for your time :lurk:

I have the matching centre and always loved the sound across LCR speakers. The only thing I find, is maybe my center speaker is under powered compared to my mains.

70sMac 03-27-2021 03:15 PM

Nhtm1

Quote:

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritasty (Post 1035701)
70sMac, You'll get lots of other advice about needing the latest, but I would suggest to you that the N802s are exceptionally fine speakers, and arguably a high point before the redesign of the crossovers and the placement of the tweeters in front of the mid drivers, (if you need more bass, a subwoofer is the answer). Keep an eye out for a HTM1 and you will have all your ears will ever need. Oh, look at this and maybe make an offer.

Cheers! And enjoy your speakers.

InVinoVeritasty..... Yes, we've always enjoyed our N802s, so there's really no question about their place in our 5.1 system, but your words about finding a matching NHTM1 are well taken. Thank you for the kind post. :D

70sMac 03-27-2021 05:29 PM

B&W 805s

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Prentice (Post 1035702)
I have an all B&W 805 5 channel home theater. I will say the human voice is one of the big things to me that changes among speakers. I have a few recordings that are mostly voices for testing. One system can make a voice thin and high pitched... like naked and another robust and full and rich. I believe 85% of the content comes out of the center channel. I was familiar with the rule of thumb as I assembled my home theater and so made sure they were all identical. But my experience with sound suggests that having them voiced differently could be disconcerting.

George Prentice..... Your 5.1 speaker setup is very interesting to me. We, too, own a pair of N805s that we use as rears, and we've always enjoyed them very much, as well.

I see that you own some Sonus Faber speakers. How do you like them versus the B&Ws that I assume you've at least rehearsed in the past? :lurk:

70sMac 03-27-2021 05:38 PM

Holo Audio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madfonzy (Post 1035717)
I am thinking you will notice a mismatch in voicing if you go for the latest D3 series centre. Current range has the continuum cone midrange where the previous has kevlar. Used to run 805D2's as fronts and then changed to 803D3 and I did notice a difference in midrange voicing for the better though. I also ran the CMC2 for a short while for the centre speaker before I upgraded to the HTM2D3. Best to have made the 3 front speakers from the same series.

MadFonzy..... I've never heard of the Holo May DAC before. Would you mind sharing a few words on what you like about it? :)

70sMac 03-27-2021 05:41 PM

Bryston

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1035723)
I have the matching centre and always loved the sound across LCR speakers. The only thing I find, is maybe my center speaker is under powered compared to my mains.

HDVidGuy..... I see that you're a Bryston owner. Although I've done some reading up on the brand, I've never even heard any of their stuff. What are you using to drive the center channel in your 5.1 setup? :scratch2: