AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Parasound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Parasound Halo JC3+ or Herron Audio - VTPH-2 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25332)

Josquin des Prez 02-12-2014 05:34 PM

Parasound Halo JC3+ or Herron Audio - VTPH-2

My Fosgate Signature v2 phono preamp has some issues that didn't get fixed when I sent it in for repair. I know that many of them have been rock solid, but now they are out of production, so it cannot be replaced. As a result I am getting a credit towards something else from the dealer.

My most reasonable choices are the Parasound Halo JC 3+ or for a bit more money the Herron Audio VTPH-2. They aren't local. I know I can audition one or the other, but both might be a bit trickier.

One is solid state, the other tube. Both seem to have a good reputation as far as I can tell. I really liked the sound of the Fosgate, but it had service problems so back it goes.

I don't know anything about either of these units. What are thoughts about these?

-E- 02-12-2014 05:55 PM

Never heard either, but I've always been a fan of JC's Parasound stuff. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has experience with the two units.

djwhog 02-12-2014 06:18 PM

I own some HALO/Parasound gear and the Halo gear is top notch stuff :)
Also read very very good reviews on the phone stage in the JC3.

Beatlebum 02-12-2014 06:25 PM

Maybe this will help.

I had the JC3 after owning the Fosgate. I now own the VTPH-2. Here are my observations:

I really liked the Fosgate Signature phonostage. It was pretty quiet but I thought it had a laid back presentation. I was looking for a more dynamic so I gave the JC3 a spin and sold the Fosgate. The JC3 was very quiet, dynamic and extended although it lacked the loading flexibility that the Fosgate had. After a few months I felt that I was missing that palpability and lifelike sound that tubes bring to the table. On another site I noted that the Parasound made my records sound like good cd's. Kinda had a whitish sound that many ss phonostages do.

After some intense research I ended up speaking with Keith Herron about the VTPH-2 and about what I was looking for in a phonostage. I purchased the VTPH-2 and I could not be happier. It's super quiet, dynamic, extended and has that lifelike presence that due to the tubes. And it has all kinds of loading flexibility. You just install the applicable loading plugs and away you go. The VTPH-2 responds well to tube rolling and power cord changes well too. I've not heard the new JC3+ so take my comments here for what they are.

Good luck to you.

miner 02-12-2014 06:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your issues with the Fosgate - looking forward to your next review.

Josquin des Prez 02-12-2014 06:44 PM

I was going to get the Naim SuperLine, but that didn't work out.

I have a Parasound JC3+ on the way. I have 30 days to decide to keep or return to try something else, like the Herron. I just learned the JC3+ came out very recently, late December. It is an upgrade of the JC3 with improved circuitry and variable loading for MC.

Parasound Introduces The Halo JC 3+ Phono Preamp | The Absolute Sound

Josquin des Prez 02-12-2014 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the JC3+ has a mono switch. Nice. I can fold down the channels at the phono stage for all my mono records.

Josquin des Prez 02-12-2014 10:42 PM

I"m having second thoughts. Now I might call in the morning and change my order to the Herron Audio phonostage.