AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Which powercord for a Plasma TV (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27805)

sander 08-03-2014 03:04 PM

Which powercord for a Plasma TV

As I'm building a loom of Shunyata powercords, i was wondering which powercord should i try for my soon to buy new Panasonic 55 inch Plasma TV?

I learned that powercords react with one another, so that's the number one reason i want to do this right since i only have one dedicated line.

I use a Python Ztron for my pre-amp, a Anaconda Ztron for my poweramp, still saving for either an Alpha Digital or a second hand Anaconda Ztron for my CD player. (advice anyone?)

For my plasma i was thinking of a VENOM HC, VIPER ZTRON or a PC10 ZTRON.
It has to be fairely flexible because I will probably mount it on the wall.

I hope Caelin or Grant can give me some advice, but i will appreciate advice from everyone.

(also on the 'powercord for my CD-player' issue)

Thanks,
Sander

prepress 08-03-2014 03:28 PM

For what it's worth, I have a Venom 3s on my PRO-111FD at the moment. No complaints.

CGabriel 08-03-2014 04:53 PM

Best performance would be the Z-PC10 Digital which is similar in performance to the Alpha Series Digital. It uses a smaller IEC and a more flexible body for difficult routing in cabinetry or to TVs and projectors that have odd shaped plastic moldings.

Next in reverse order of cost and performance:

Viper
Venom HC
Venom-3
Venom-3s

I think the sweet spot for cost/performance would be the Venom HC.

scirica 08-30-2014 03:30 PM

At some point I'm going to consider a power cord for the power-hungry plasma (Panny VT-50). Intuition tells me this could be a good upgrade.

CGabriel 08-30-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 634774)
At some point I'm going to consider a power cord for the power-hungry plasma (Panny VT-50). Intuition tells me this could be a good upgrade.

It has been my experience that Plasma TVs respond well to power cord upgrades while older LED types not so much.

sander 09-02-2014 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 634796)
It has been my experience that Plasma TVs respond well to power cord upgrades while older LED types not so much.

Hi Caelin,

Where would you rather plug a plasma tv in?
A Cyclops/Hydra AV or a DPC-6? And why?

Thanks,

Sander

CGabriel 09-02-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sander (Post 635363)
Hi Caelin, Where would you rather plug a plasma tv in? A Cyclops/Hydra AV or a DPC-6? And why? Thanks, Sander

The DPC-6 fire-walls digital type equipment from the rest of the audio system.

A Cyclops or Hydra-AV would both work fine. More important would be the power cord.

scirica 09-02-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 634796)

I'll do some more exploring on your website, but are there special application plugs at the component (TV end) for a Panasonic plasma? The stock plug is of the "flat type" if that makes any sense (given the limited space between tv and wall.

Thanks!

CGabriel 09-02-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 635418)
I'll do some more exploring on your website, but are there special application plugs at the component (TV end) for a Panasonic plasma? The stock plug is of the "flat type" if that makes any sense (given the limited space between tv and wall. Thanks!

At the low cost end of our line you can use any of the VENOM cables. They are flexible and fit any component even those with enclosure obstructions.

Better performance is the Z-PC10 Digital or Analog version. This has 90 percent of the performance of the Alpha Series cables but is thinner and more flexible and uses a very compact IEC connector. It fits any component with a problem. It was originally developed for the Devialet amplifier which has very limited and tight access to its power inlet.

TOGA 09-05-2014 11:10 AM

How about a projector ? Which most of the power draw is feeding a bulb.
Sounds like pure resistive load to me, but I bet there is switched mode PSU as voltage rating
Is more like a world voltage. In this case what model is most suitable ?
Toga