AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Racks & Furniture (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   New racks from Butcher Block Acoustics? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45678)

JWJW 04-21-2019 09:28 PM

New racks from Butcher Block Acoustics?

Has anyone seen one of these racks live?
Pictures looks nice. One bad thing...it “appears” they have to assembled?
Please let me know if you have actually seen one.
Thx!

Audio 1 04-21-2019 09:36 PM

I did see them at their booth at Axpona last weekend. However, I did not pay close attention to all of the product details, but the quality overall looked excellent.

rnrmf1971 04-21-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWJW (Post 962380)
Has anyone seen one of these racks live?
Pictures looks nice. One bad thing...it “appears” they have to assembled?
Please let me know if you have actually seen one.
Thx!

I saw those pictures. They did look really nice.
Nice enough that I wish I needed a stand, actually.

I don't see assembly as a bad thing, though. They look simple enough to assemble, and the ability to ship them for a reasonable cost to dealers and customers is added value.

How many stands don't need assembly, though? I can only think of Silent Running at the moment. Most seem to need some degree of end user adjustment.

fourxmotion 06-15-2019 03:08 PM

I just received my maple shelf/walnut leg kit rack last week; nice and sold. Assembly is a breeze.

Jdsmoke 06-15-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourxmotion (Post 968820)
I just received my maple shelf/walnut leg kit rack last week; nice and sold. Assembly is a breeze.

Pics please

Mr. Charlie 11-13-2019 12:20 PM

I just purchased and assembled a 3 rack unit in all maple. The shelves are 48 x 20 so it's HEAVY. I assembled it alone and it took about 1/2 hour. All hardware and tools are included except for a wooden block to knock in the covers for the screw heads. I finished the assembly and then left for vacation so I'll move it into place when I return home. It weighs north of 140 pounds so I'll have to get one of me kids to help me. I'll post pics after the equipment is loaded on to it. It is solid as a rock!

Boom Boom 03-27-2021 03:48 PM

I discovered rigidracks from Butcher Block Acoustics here in audioaficionado. This is one of the reasons why I decided to join an audiophile forum; to discover new products and brands that I may want to own.

I needed a 36" wide cabinet to work with my space especially speaker placement. I visited the Butcher Block Acoustics website and found a rack that had the right dimensions. Their site has facebook links where customers have posted pictures of their applications. The pictures were gorgeous and I thought I could proudly own one of their racks. I called them, and after talking to their customer service rep, she told me the racks are built in Pennsylvania but ship from California. I wanted to know if they offered coasters for the spiked feet. They didn't so I decided leveling feet were what I wanted.

I decided to place an order. I got a personal email from the company owner thanking me for the purchase. The items came via UPS in six days. There were 5 boxes. When I unboxed, I found they included a star screw driver and all hardware. To unbox and assemble took me about 2 hours. Removing gear involved unplugging audiophile grade power cords and interconnects. After removing, shifting my audio cabinet left 3", installing the rigidrack (which included leveling), and reinstalling the gear took a week. This was done after telework and a weekend. After assembly I was concerned about shelf vibrations. I found after installing the heavy gear much less vibration after tapping the shelves.

The light maple shade I ordered really contrast well against the black A/V components and aesthetically I am very pleased. It accommodated my oversized 80 lb SimAudio Moon W5 amplifier nicely. Sonically the sound improved. I notice consistent larger soundstage height. It is easier to discern backing vocals and the words they are singing. Detail and timbre of instruments are more discernible, etc.

My dream rack would be from HRS. I've tried their nimbus products with good results. But their racks are prohibitively expensive for me. My Rigidrack set me back $1,441 USD and included the shipping. I am a very happy owner.

Fbgbill 04-02-2021 09:15 AM

FWIW I built my own butcher block rack system. I used 1" butcher block counter top and 3/4" black steel pipe. It was a great project for being in lockdown. Most everything was delivered to my door from Amazon and Home Depot.

Audiophilehi 04-02-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fbgbill (Post 1036107)
FWIW I built my own butcher block rack system. I used 1" butcher block counter top and 3/4" black steel pipe. It was a great project for being in lockdown. Most everything was delivered to my door from Amazon and Home Depot.

Sounds nice Bill....got any pics?

rancew 04-03-2021 08:54 AM

I got one of their three shelf racks a few months ago for one of my vintage systems. Some assembly required, but it was easy. Very sturdy, heavy rack. I'll try to post a pic later on.

Fbgbill 05-05-2021 06:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos of my homemade rack. I seem to keep adding to it. I recently made the vinyl storage rack for those that I am listening to the most as well as a cd rack for the same reason. They are from the same 1" butcher block.

jimtranr 05-05-2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fbgbill (Post 1037931)
Here are some photos of my homemade rack. I seem to keep adding to it. I recently made the vinyl storage rack for those that I am listening to the most as well as a cd rack for the same reason. They are from the same 1" butcher block.

Nice work.

Fbgbill 05-07-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1037943)
Nice work.

Thanks Jim

SnowmaNick 05-10-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Those look nice. Love the stain you used.

jayvis1 05-17-2022 11:28 AM

My 60" Rigidrack from Butcher Block Acoustics is rock solid and easily carries my very heaviest components. And most importantly, it receives highest praise
from the wife.

Jdsmoke 05-17-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

Very nice. I have been looking to do something similar using 1 inch walnut. How did you connect the pipes to the shelves? It looks like you drilled holes through the used threaded pipe. However from the pics the threading only looks to be where the shelves are. Are the connectors linking 2 pipes. So you have one through the shelf and another from the shelf top of them shelf to the bottom on the next one?

Porsche993TT 05-17-2022 10:20 PM

i use there 3" thick by 18" square walnut platforms at my condo in chicago, nice an simple for my monoblocks and streamer

the owner is a nice guy as well, very accommodating

JBT 05-18-2022 05:35 PM

Quote:

Very nice!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fbgbill 05-19-2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmoke (Post 1060667)
Very nice. I have been looking to do something similar using 1 inch walnut. How did you connect the pipes to the shelves? It looks like you drilled holes through the used threaded pipe. However from the pics the threading only looks to be where the shelves are. Are the connectors linking 2 pipes. So you have one through the shelf and another from the shelf top of them shelf to the bottom on the next one?

I used a 1 and 1/16" bit to drill holes in the 1" wood. In that hole is a 1.5" threaded pipe that connects the couplings or at the top a cap. 3/4" pipe has an outside diameter of 1" and using the drill bit I did makes it easy to fit the pipe into the holes otherwise you will spend a lot of time reaming out the holes. I made sure that all holes are the same bu using the previous shelf as a guide or the next one. Hope this makes sense.

Fbgbill 05-19-2022 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBT (Post 1060716)
Very nice!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks

Fbgbill 05-19-2022 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowmaNick (Post 1038163)
Those look nice. Love the stain you used.

Thanks

Fbgbill 05-19-2022 08:51 AM

My biggest problem with this project was getting the butcher block. I used Home Depot and every piece I received had some issue during shipping. They either had bad blemishes or some were severely cracked. I had to do repairs on the last order that I used on my CD rack before I could start to rip it for shelves and sides. It was not worth trying to send it back or return it to the store as my HD is in anther town 30 miles away. If you can, have it shipped to the store and inspect it before taking it. If damaged and you can use it, request a discount. They will heavily discount it to get rid of it. FWIW.

Jdsmoke 05-20-2022 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fbgbill (Post 1060754)
My biggest problem with this project was getting the butcher block. I used Home Depot and every piece I received had some issue during shipping. They either had bad blemishes or some were severely cracked. I had to do repairs on the last order that I used on my CD rack before I could start to rip it for shelves and sides. It was not worth trying to send it back or return it to the store as my HD is in anther town 30 miles away. If you can, have it shipped to the store and inspect it before taking it. If damaged and you can use it, request a discount. They will heavily discount it to get rid of it. FWIW.

I order from here
https://hardwood-lumber.com/

Fbgbill 05-21-2022 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmoke (Post 1060814)

Thanks, I did a quick calculation on some of my planks. They are probably three times more that what I paid. I would hope if ordered they would arrive undamaged. Of course what I ordered from Home Depot was at the mercy of the shipping company. Luckily I am pretty much through with my rack. Unless...!