AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Integrated (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   The Ultimate Integrated (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=12140)

JohnThomas 01-28-2012 11:59 AM

The Ultimate Integrated

After having separates from Mcintosh, Plinius and finally selling off all my Burmester gear. I'm sitting on a wad of cash contemplating my next move after buying the Tannoy Canterbury SE. I didn't know if a full blown tube setup was going to work for me. So in walks Triode 300B SER integrated out of Japan putting out 8 watts of power into the Tannoy's. Now this isn't Air Tight,Nagra,Wavac, etc. quality but to my ears it makes the Tannoys sing nicely. So after playing with the 300B for 3 months I decide I want to bring in a solid state integrated into the mix for those head banger nights. So now I decide to research the holy grail of integrated units that have that tube sound (I know it doesn't exist) Vitus, Accuphase, Luxman, Pass Labs etc. Getting caught up in all the big names not thinking about the little guys. So I'm talking to Joe aka Joeinid the other night about all the wonderful gear out there that sound great that doesn't get any recognition. Yesterday i'm talking to one my dealers that sold me my Hansen Princes a few years ago. Fidels up in New Hampshire. I'm telling him how i'm at point in my life where i'm looking for simplicity. I told him i've been researching the Vitus 010,Accuphase E560,Luxman 590AX, Pass labs int-30a. Walter always seems to carry products that aren't well know as well as the big boys.I told him how I wanted something musical (aren't we all). He was telling about two companies Lfd and Lavardin both out of the UK that I never heard before. I was most curious about the Lfd NCSE and his philosophy as well as being the one that builds these himself. I'm sure his product won't win any measurement awards but all I want is musically. Anybody have any experience with Lfd good or bad besides no remote?

LFD’s latest amplifier – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

http://www.generubinaudio.com/sitebu...rfiles/lfd.pdf

jdandy 01-28-2012 12:16 PM

John......Judging from those two reviews, the LFD sounds like it might be just what the doctor ordered.

joeinid 01-28-2012 12:16 PM

Hi John,

This should be fun. I hope some of our members have some interaction with these companies and gear. There is a lot of great equipment out there and I hope we get to read and hear more about it.

cmalak 01-28-2012 12:19 PM

John...I know Sam Tellig and Wes Phillips have reviewed integrated amps from both LFD and Lavardin (by the way Lavardin is French company). I know both brands have a small but loyal following here in the US where the brands are less well known:

Lavardin Reviews:
lavardin integrated
Lavardin IS Reference review from the experts at whathifi.com
6moons audio reviews: Lavardin/Lecontoure system
StereoTimes --

Lavardin feedback on user forums:
REVIEW: Lavardin Technologies Model IT Integrated Amplifier (SS) - Audiomanic - Amp/Preamp Asylum
Forum search results

You have posted the LFD reviews out there in your post above.

Good luck.

klipschfan 01-28-2012 12:22 PM

Haven't heard LFD or Lavardin.

Suggest taking a look at the new ModWright integrated.
ModWright Instruments | KWI 200 Integrated

Had the ModWright KWA-100SE, which is very musical. The KWI-200 should be well worth a demo!.

cmalak 01-28-2012 12:51 PM

John...I know you are looking for an all SS integrated but may I suggest looking into a hybrid integrated amp from Pathos (Italian), with tubes in the preamp stage and SS output stage. There are two choices I would recommend that are extremely musical and will drive your Tannoys with no problem:

1) Pathos Logos: PATHOS

Type: integrated amplifier operating in class AB
Output power: 110W RMS @ 8 Ohm, 220W RMS @ 4 Ohm

http://www.pathosacoustics.com/logos.jpg

2) Pathos TT: PATHOS

Type: integrated amplifier operating in pure class A
Power output: 2 x 35W @ 8 Ohm

http://www.pathosacoustics.com/twin2.jpg

They have newer versions of these integrateds although these are still in production and you can get good deals on these used. I have not heard the newer variants but these bad boys are very musical and are great eye candy.

Good luck with your search.

McPlanar 01-28-2012 01:19 PM

http://www.audiooutlet.co.kr/shop/db...cth8550_01.jpg
darTZeel CTH-8550 integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com

bart 01-28-2012 01:40 PM

I heard very nice sound coming out of Vincent electronics.

Vincent - Thats VINCENT - Vincent-tac

Their products are not too expensive and get good reviews.
They have hybrid integrateds also.

This amp is a beast!
Vincent - SV-238MK Class-A Integrated Amplifier - Vincent-tac

http://www.vincent-tac.de/typo3temp/pics/c67b041003.jpg

TANDYMAN 03-15-2013 06:08 PM

I use the sugden ia4 with a pair of kensington se and the combo is a good match.

wizard 05-24-2013 09:06 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tu6vWimsB1...0/HL7B3755.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w4opGKK50N...0/HL7B3738.JPG

This could be the ultimate integrated when released in one month.
AM Audio PA-60X at around €20000.

temptation 06-11-2013 09:53 PM

REGA OSIRIS. After hearing tihs gem, imho, it will put many pre-power combination a run for their money. That's how good this integrated amp from Roy Gandy.:thumbsup:

Jerome W 06-12-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temptation
REGA OSIRIS. After hearing tihs gem, imho, it will put many pre-power combination a run for their money. That's how good this integrated amp from Roy Gandy.:thumbsup:

Highly agreed.
Nothing beats the Osiris at this price level and way beyond imho.

Bodhisattva 06-12-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klipschfan (Post 260150)
Haven't heard LFD or Lavardin.

Suggest taking a look at the new ModWright integrated.
ModWright Instruments | KWI 200 Integrated

Had the ModWright KWA-100SE, which is very musical. The KWI-200 should be well worth a demo!.

+ 1. For a warm, musical solid state integrated the Modwright is worth consideration. If your budget is a bit freer, i'd include the Dartzeel CTH-8550 and Vitus SIA-025 which can be switched between class A and class A/B power.

For a suprsinginly good value hybrid integrated, i'd also have a listen to the Unison Research Unico Secondo. If you're looking at pure tube integrateds, i'd include the Quad II, Leben CS-300XS or Leben CS-600. And i'd probably be drawn and quartered if I didn't include the classis Vac Phi Beta as well :D

Bodhisattva 06-12-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard (Post 495448)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w4opGKK50N...0/HL7B3738.JPG

This could be the ultimate integrated when released in one month.
AM Audio PA-60X at around €20000.

My, those are big cans :yikes: (but I prefer Boulder & Gryphon's approach...more, lower value caps = greater speed, reliability & higher damping factor) :yes:

Alexatpos 07-03-2013 07:32 PM

[

beat5 09-07-2015 05:59 AM

have you considered Vitus?

Formerly YB-2 10-03-2015 09:49 AM

After a recap (Clarity) and some tube-rolling, my Cary SLI-80 is truly a wonderful sounding amp. If you are into tubes at all, picking up a used SLI-80 and having the factory recap it will provide a terrific piece of gear.

At some point, when my ears can no longer detect the difference (old age - am 68 and lucky me, still have decent hearing), I might go back to SS with a 'full-function' remote.

bigblue 10-03-2015 06:00 PM

I have 3 top contenders when it comes to integrated. '
Diablo 300, Gryphon
Isis, Analog Domain
Continuum S2, Jeff Rowland (owning it)

At this level there is no such thing as a bad product. Everything has to do with taste and matching with the rest of the equipment.

4N6 12-18-2015 06:04 PM

The new Jeff Rowland Daemon 1500W "Super" Integrated looks AWESOME!!!

Daemon Integrated

Formerly YB-2 12-18-2015 07:08 PM

To each their own, but that definitely does not "look" awesome to me. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.

jdandy 12-18-2015 08:20 PM

Jeff Rowland Daemon 1500W Integrated Amplifier.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/778/2...0b9e92d4_b.jpg

Venere 12-18-2015 10:49 PM

Looks pretty fine to me. Maybe not beautiful, but certainly dramatic and imposing.

imprezap2 12-20-2015 08:21 AM

The new Gryphon Diablo 300, would love to hear that

two dot 01-07-2017 07:44 PM

The LFD and Harbeth combo has gotten me off the upgrade path for some years....

Formerly YB-2 01-15-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 747807)
Jeff Rowland Daemon 1500W Integrated Amplifier.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/778/2...0b9e92d4_b.jpg

Nothing succeeds like wretched excess. :yes::thumbsup: Was wondering why several of the predecessor integrated from Rowland were showing up on the used market. Luv it.

JemHadar 01-16-2017 06:13 AM

The Ultimate Integrated

2 Attachment(s)
Saturday, January 14th, I had the opportunity to audition the Analog Domain M75D Integrated with the prototype Analog Domain DAC1 at the Gydotron event in Belgium.

I'm familiar with the M75D and own the Power Amp only version, the M75P.

Although the room was acoustically challenging and the Harbeth's would not be my first choice it was an eye opener. Basically the M75D has no sonic signature whatsoever and the DAC1 excelled on attack and decay of notes which was very obvious on percussion heavy tracks.

Granted, the combo is a 2 box solution. Taking into account that a Phono PreAmp with the same form factor as the DAC is on its way, it does offer flexibility and upgrade paths. I find this area between full separates and one box integrated very appealing, kind of "best of both worlds". As far as I know, Analog Domain is unique in bringing this kind of proposition to market.

In February, at my place, a shoot out will take place between the AD M75P (stereo) / McIntosh C1000/MDA1000 and a M75P & M75D (both bridged mono) and DAC1.

What Analog Domain does for me is allow me to forget the components altogether and lose myself in the music, even at a show like the excellent Gydotron event.

I enjoyed a long chat with Angel Despotov, the mastermind and driving force behind Analog Domain. It gave me a better understanding of the challenges he faces when designing and bringing to market his products. He is a visionary Engineer "pur sang" who will not compromise on design and bill of materials, damned be the torpedoes. There is no marketing smoke and mirrors, he walks the talk. You could hold a different point of view regarding some of his choices but you know exactly what you are paying for and hey... it is a free world.

If the opportunity presents itself to meet Angel at an event, I warmly recommend it. His sense of humour will put a smile on your face. Tapping into his vast knowledge will make your head spin. His desire to connect and listen to his (prospective) customers is refreshing and very much valued.

photo credit Analog Domain Facebook page.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1484558172

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1484558182

Douglas 01-16-2017 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This new Classic Integrated from NAGRA is showing tremendous potential

Nagra CLASSIC INT integrated solid-state stereo amplifier

"Based on the acclaimed design of the Nagra CLASSIC AMP, this is a powerful integrated amplifier capable of driving the great majority of speakers on the market whilst delivering exceptional musicality.
The power amp section is identical to that of the esteemed Nagra CLASSIC AMP, whereas the preamplifier section is an entirely original design by Nagra R&D that sets a new standard for an integrated amplifier.
The Nagra CLASSIC INT offers a compact and simple set-up without the performance compromises that have sometimes been associated with integrated amplifiers"

Attachment 49117

bart 01-16-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jem666 (Post 826730)
Saturday, January 14th, I had the opportunity to audition the Analog Domain M75D Integrated with the prototype Analog Domain DAC1 at the Gydotron event in Belgium.

I'm familiar with the M75D and own the Power Amp only version, the M75P.

Although the room was acoustically challenging and the Harbeth's would not be my first choice it was an eye opener. Basically the M75D has no sonic signature whatsoever and the DAC1 excelled on attack and decay of notes which was very obvious on percussion heavy tracks.

Granted, the combo is a 2 box solution. Taking into account that a Phono PreAmp with the same form factor as the DAC is on its way, it does offer flexibility and upgrade paths. I find this area between full separates and one box integrated very appealing, kind of "best of both worlds". As far as I know, Analog Domain is unique in bringing this kind of proposition to market.

In February, at my place, a shoot out will take place between the AD M75P (stereo) / McIntosh C1000/MDA1000 and a M75P & M75D (both bridged mono) and DAC1.

What Analog Domain does for me is allow me to forget the components altogether and lose myself in the music, even at a show like the excellent Gydotron event.

I enjoyed a long chat with Angel Despotov, the mastermind and driving force behind Analog Domain. It gave me a better understanding of the challenges he faces when designing and bringing to market his products. He is a visionary Engineer "pur sang" who will not compromise on design and bill of materials, damned be the torpedoes. There is no marketing smoke and mirrors, he walks the talk. You could hold a different point of view regarding some of his choices but you know exactly what you are paying for and hey... it is a free world.

If the opportunity presents itself to meet Angel at an event, I warmly recommend it. His sense of humour will put a smile on your face. Tapping into his vast knowledge will make your head spin. His desire to connect and listen to his (prospective) customers is refreshing and very much valued.

photo credit Analog Domain Facebook page.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1484558172

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1484558182

Nice review Jacques! :thumbsup:
If you want some support during the shootout, I'm your man!

Rick721 05-19-2017 07:02 PM

All New Marantz PM10 S1 ? :music:

Mikeylee 05-20-2017 01:08 AM

Pardon me if this is a silly question, but do the Simaudio 600i and/or 700i every get thrown in the hotsy-totsy integrated amp lists? If not, is there a particular reason?
Thanks all for you wealth of knowledge and opinions. :yes::thumbsup:

aardvarkbark 05-20-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeylee (Post 847642)
Pardon me if this is a silly question, but do the Simaudio 600i and/or 700i every get thrown in the hotsy-totsy integrated amp lists? If not, is there a particular reason?
Thanks all for you wealth of knowledge and opinions. :yes::thumbsup:

When I was hunting for a 175+ wpc integrated a few months ago, the 700i made my short list along with Vitus RI-100 and PASS INT-250. I think they make both Stereophile's and TAS' short list of recommended integrateds. I don't know why they're not that popular on the forums. I went with the PASS because of power, very good reviews, very recent design and domestic USA service. Moon will need to go to Canada for service, but I didn't have a problem sending a Classe there for service years back, though.

Denver AD ListenUp likes to pair these with B&W and has featured them at the last couple RMAFs with good reviews. I heard first hand from attendees, but you can probably find some on-line reviews and comments.

I do like their design. If I were to have another system, they'd most likely be the integrated I'd pick.

Mikeylee 05-21-2017 12:12 AM

Aardvarkbark,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate your insight since I have been considering a Simaudio integrated amp to power my Rockport Technology Atria speakers:banana:. I sure do love the sound.

John49 05-21-2017 01:34 AM

The Ultimate Integrated

I am slowly rebuilding my system and one of the items which is not being replaced is the Simaudio Moon 700i...

Mikeylee 05-21-2017 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 847772)
I am slowly rebuilding my system and one of the items which is not being replaced is the Simaudio Moon 700i...

John49,
That sounds like a big vote in confidence! The 700i is what I would like to get to replace my Mc MA-6600. My dealer suggests the change, and he has always been right. Shoot, he proved to me speakers cables and isolation feet DO make a difference! Is there anything in particular you like about the 700i?

John49 05-21-2017 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeylee (Post 847773)
John49,

That sounds like a big vote in confidence! The 700i is what I would like to get to replace my Mc MA-6600. My dealer suggests the change, and he has always been right. Shoot, he proved to me speakers cables and isolation feet DO make a difference! Is there anything in particular you like about the 700i?

Mikeylee... the thing I like the most is the clarity of sound and it never sounds harsh when the volume is turned up. I had originally been buying an amp lower down the Simaudio range, but heard a 700i at the dealers and then at home and changed my order... Hopefully your dealer can arrange a home trial so you are sure it's right for you.

Rick721 05-21-2017 06:53 PM

New T+A PA 3100 HV The new gold standard? :music:

Thieliste 12-03-2018 09:52 AM

Best integrated : Gryphon Diablo 300 and T+A PA 3100 HV.
D'Agostino Momentum integrated is way too expensive, for this kind of money you better go separates.

jh901 12-11-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick721 (Post 847891)
New T+A PA 3100 HV The new gold standard?

This is the one I'm most interested to audition, but the US pricing is unfortunate.

I wonder how the more "affordable" Gryphon Diablo 300 or Pass Labs compares!?

Rick721 02-04-2019 03:32 PM

All NEW Belles Virtuoso that cost only $$$6500 ? The Rolls Royce of Solid State Gear ! :music:

Formerly YB-2 02-04-2019 08:31 PM

The CH integrated is $48-52K, depending on options. More M-B/BMW range than Rolls.