AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Delta and Alpha Power Cord flexibility (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40931)

audioguy3107 10-27-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBritt (Post 875460)
This might sound really dumb or obvious, but have you looked at the footers on your ARC phono pre and determined if you can slide it forward on the shelve an inch or two?

Sure, no, I can pull the rack out from the wall a bit more, but just don't want to pull it out too far so that it starts to look odd. It's sandwiched between two in wall bookcases so the more flush it is, the better it looks. I'm going to order a standard Alpha NR for my amplifier which doesn't have any space constraints, so I'll test it out with that one then go from there.

- Buck

GrantS 10-29-2017 04:32 PM

The EF and NR power cords are identical in most ways. The external hollow sleeve is absent in the EF series. Also, we use a flat IEC connector with the EF models instead of the round barrel type connector in the NR Series. Both connectors use solid-copper internal metals, but the NR model has a built-in wide-bandwidth noise filter, while the EF models do not (no room). Having said all that, the performance between the EF and the NR model is comparable in both Delta and Alpha models. The cables themselves can turn almost at a 90 degree angle after an inch or so of cable, so I would put the minimum clearance needed at about 8 inches for either the NR or EF models. The Alpha NR may look thick, but actually it is extremely flexible and easy to bend in any direction.

Regards,

Grant

ACHiPo 09-11-2021 11:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I realize this is an old thread, but I've been wondering the same thing as my electronics closet is quite cozy. I have a minimum of 5" from the back of the component to the wall, and that's on my tube phono stage and turntable, but a max of probably 8". Plus getting 6 1.75 m power cords >1" dia routed in and around the rack will not be easy.

I'm guessing I'll be best off with the Venom NR PCs for the larger components with less space between the component and wall? What's the minimum bend radius for Venom cords (I don't see that on Shunyata's website, but maybe I missed it?)

Is my assumption correct that the Venom PCs are more flexible (tighter bend radius) than Delta which are more flexible than Alpha, etc.? I was able to install a Venom V12NR with no issue on the phono stage. Not sure whether the 10 will fit?

mcpaf76 09-11-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHiPo (Post 1045024)
I realize this is an old thread, but I've been wondering the same thing as my electronics closet is quite cozy. I have a minimum of 5" from the back of the component to the wall, and that's on my tube phono stage and turntable, but a max of probably 8". Plus getting 6 1.75 m power cords >1" dia routed in and around the rack will not be easy.

I'm guessing I'll be best off with the Venom NR PCs for the larger components with less space between the component and wall? What's the minimum bend radius for Venom cords (I don't see that on Shunyata's website, but maybe I missed it?)

Is my assumption correct that the Venom PCs are more flexible (tighter bend radius) than Delta which are more flexible than Alpha, etc.? I was able to install a Venom V12NR with no issue on the phono stage. Not sure whether the 10 will fit?

Venom NR10 and Deltas are same outer diameter, I have a few of each. They are very flexible, I'm coming out of the back of my
Mcintosh Mc462 amp, 4 or 5 inches from wall, and my Delta makes the bend.

kennyb123 09-11-2021 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the Delta v2 NR can work with 5” of clearance. Here it is hanging by its own weight.

Attachment 65340

ACHiPo 09-12-2021 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyb123 (Post 1045055)
I think the Delta v2 NR can work with 5” of clearance. Here it is hanging by its own weight.

Attachment 65340

Thanks!

ACHiPo 09-12-2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpaf76 (Post 1045042)
Venom NR10 and Deltas are same outer diameter, I have a few of each. They are very flexible, I'm coming out of the back of my
Mcintosh Mc462 amp, 4 or 5 inches from wall, and my Delta makes the bend.

What about alphas?

kennyb123 09-12-2021 02:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHiPo (Post 1045066)
What about alphas?

Have you seen the length of the connectors on the Alpha NR and NR v2? I can't imagine these fitting.

The Delta v2 is an awesome power cord - and a heck of a value. Highly recommended.

ACHiPo 09-12-2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyb123 (Post 1045069)
Have you seen the length of the connectors on the Alpha NR and NR v2? I can't imagine these fitting.

The Delta v2 is an awesome power cord - and a heck of a value. Highly recommended.

Thanks

mcpaf76 09-13-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHiPo (Post 1045066)
What about alphas?

Also very flexible but much thicker than the other 2, I'm not sure the bend radius they are capable of, as I only use it to feed the Everest and both of those 2 bends have plenty of room before hitting anything. I would guess 5 would be cutting it very close with an Alpha, at best the bend would put pressure on the component, and possibly push it depending on it's weight.