AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Speaker Cable Survey (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1569)

vintage_tube 08-29-2009 07:30 PM

Had been running some XLR's between pre & amps and between pre and MCD500 -- after a few months & especially lately, the back of mind had been saying, something is just not right -- everything had seemed veiled or soft or like a blanket had been thrown over my speakers.

Well, went back to my Jack Bybee/Dale Pitcher designed RCA's & it's like old times again. Of course, the RCA's cost much more than the other brand XLR's (1m RCA's are $2K; 2m's are $3K).

I didn't notice any significant change or difference when running vinyl -- as I am running identical RCA's on the TT to the pre --BUT, when running the MCD500 (which I have been doing here lately) -- it really started to bug me & alas, I found the problem.

Guess there is something to say about Jack & his cable designs using CNT's.

I know someone here uses Jacks bullets & swears by 'em. Well, same here with his cables.

f1 fan 08-30-2009 03:34 PM

welcome neonorchid. I too use Kimber Selects ic`s, speakers cables/jumpers and power cords.

Glenee 09-11-2009 09:09 PM

WireWorld Silver Eclipse 5.2 and Van Den Hul Revelation.

Masterlu 09-11-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenee (Post 37352)
WireWorld Silver Eclipse 5.2 and Van Den Hul Revelation.

Huge Wireworld fan here... :thumbsup:

Liquid HiFi 09-12-2009 11:54 AM

Reference System: MIT Magnum MA $7995 retail, MIT Magnum MA RCA AND XLR interconnect.

Demo system #1: MIT CVT2 hybrid speaker with CVT1 rca interconnect and Wireworld USB, coax and toslink cables.

markc2 09-12-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schaefer11 (Post 29867)
Doesn't the scientific method say something about the results being repeatable by others thru blind testing and when compared to a placebo? And don't scientists use blind testing to make sure that the subjects do not know if they are getting the real thing or the placebo? :scratch2:

Just thinking out loud. Goodness knows I'm no scientist.

What scientific discovery has been accepted as a fact simply because an individual said they tested their hypothesis and since it showed some particular result, it must be so. That type of individual non blind testing may be a beginning to a scientific process, but it certainly is not the end. Any non blind test has to be considered anecdotal evidence until proven repeatable in controlled (meaning blind) testing. Just my opinion mind you.

that's my wife's job.:D

gregswaim 09-13-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 35252)
Had been running some XLR's between pre & amps and between pre and MCD500 -- after a few months & especially lately, the back of mind had been saying, something is just not right -- everything had seemed veiled or soft or like a blanket had been thrown over my speakers.

Well, went back to my Jack Bybee/Dale Pitcher designed RCA's & it's like old times again. Of course, the RCA's cost much more than the other brand XLR's (1m RCA's are $2K; 2m's are $3K).

I didn't notice any significant change or difference when running vinyl -- as I am running identical RCA's on the TT to the pre --BUT, when running the MCD500 (which I have been doing here lately) -- it really started to bug me & alas, I found the problem.

Guess there is something to say about Jack & his cable designs using CNT's.

I know someone here uses Jacks bullets & swears by 'em. Well, same here with his cables.

I use the Bybee Speaker Bullets- very few products actually improve the sound in the way of speaker cables & interconnects in my opinion. By Bybee Speaker Bullets actually work. DMN RCA's with Eichmann Bullet Plugs 1m & Kubala-Sosna XLR's 1m do the trick for me. Everyone will have their own recipe for what works for them.

wpines 12-12-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1 fan (Post 35387)
welcome neonorchid. I too use Kimber Selects ic`s, speakers cables/jumpers and power cords.

Dave,
Why do you use Kimber Selects and jumpers instead of biwired cables, like the Kimber Bi-Focal?

Gregory 12-16-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpines (Post 27021)
What brand and model speaker cable are you currently using on your system?
What's it's retail price?
Configuration? (ex. standard, biwire etc.)?

Ok.. in January 1988 I bought 86 feet of AWG-10 Monster Cable® (Speaker Cable Standard of the Audio Industry) at $0.75/ft. plus tax for a total of $69.02. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~mc_audio/zipcord.jpg
Image of AWG-10 fine-strand cable from the 1987 Monster catalog.

From that length, I cut some five or six cable pairs of various length, many for jumpers. Below you can see Monster `jumpers´ coming off the 4 and 8 ohm amplifier taps, which run out the back of the rack to the floor where they connect to HEAVY barrier strips.

http://home.comcast.net/~mc_audio/2205_barriers_2.jpg
AWG-10 Monster cables connecting to the MC2205 4 and 8 ohm terminals.

They are all broken in now. :D Are you cringing yet? LoL

-Gregory

PHC1 12-16-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory (Post 54042)
Ok.. in January 1988 I bought 86 feet of AWG-10 Monster Cable® (Speaker Cable Standard of the Audio Industry) at $0.75/ft. plus tax for a total of $69.02. :)

From that length, I cut some five or six cable pairs of various length, many for jumpers. Below you can see Monster `jumpers´ coming off the 4 and 8 ohm amplifier taps, which run out the back of the rack to the floor where they connect to HEAVY barrier strips.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

AWG-10 Monster cables connecting to the MC2205 4 and 8 ohm terminals.

They are all broken in now. :D Are you cringing yet? LoL

-Gregory

Gregory, Monster is among the worst sounding cables I have ever heard.... :tears: Just being honest...