AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bricasti Design (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   New Bricasti Design M3 DAC (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45467)

GreenMtnGringo 03-30-2019 12:53 PM

New Bricasti Design M3 DAC

Hi all, has anyone heard the new M3 DAC, which retails for $4,995 USD? If so, please post your impressions, thanks!

Puma Cat 03-30-2019 03:34 PM

Is this a Delta-Sigma DAC?

GreenMtnGringo 03-30-2019 04:34 PM

This is from page three of the M3 manual:

"The M3 features 2 fully differential conversion channels, each with its own D/A converter, and analog level control circuitry. With our twin DAC design, the dynamic range for each channel is optimized by using the stereo ADI 1955 D/A converters in a mono configuration for PCM conversion, clocking is implemented with a technique called DDS (direct digital synthesis) which takes clock induced jitter to immeasurable levels. DSD is converted with our own proprietary one bit analog converter."

Bones13 03-31-2019 02:31 PM

http://bricasti.com/en/consumer/m3.php

Puma Cat 03-31-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 (Post 959304)

Thanks, Bones.

Yes, its a delta-sigma DAC. Albeit a very fine one, I am sure. The M1 was one of the best-sounding DACs I had heard at the time.

Bones13 04-02-2019 11:11 AM

In my M12, there is a delta-sigma DAC board, and a 1 bit digital DSD board. I'm sure that the delta-sigma board is the same at the M1, I am not sure how different (if it is) the M3 DAC board is. The M3 seems to use the same AD ladder dac chips as on the M1 board, but then there are differences in all the dac chip lines, and can be implemented differently in high, and low priced DACs.

Some comparisons would be need be made in the wild, to know how much separates the M1 from the M3. Not sure that I have seen any reviews of the M3 so far.

fourxmotion 05-17-2019 01:14 PM

Received my M3 at the beginning of July. This is a fabulous DAC and sounds great. I listen to a lot of rock and it this the first one since my Theta Gen VIII that has done this genre right. Roon implementation is rock solid. I have not had any hiccups with any sample rates. I wish other manufactures did as good a job as Bricasti with the polish they put on their products. I have been through too many Roon Ready network players and tested devices that were just full of bugs. This is a first rate product all the way.

fourxmotion 07-28-2019 06:58 PM

Picked up a M3. This is a fabulous DAC and sounds great. I listen to a lot of rock and it this the first one since my Theta Gen VIII that has done this genre right.

Fred_B 11-03-2019 10:59 AM

Question about the USB input on the M3 - is this just for connection to a computer or could an external USB drive be connected?

fourxmotion 11-04-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_B (Post 984570)
Question about the USB input on the M3 - is this just for connection to a computer or could an external USB drive be connected?

It is for a connection to a computer.

DVass13 03-03-2020 10:54 AM

I have been on the hunt for a good all-in-one unit to serve as the hub of my main headphone and 2-channel rig. I'm looking for a device that will function as a streaming DAC, headphone amp, and pre-amp. Right now I'm using the Matrix Audio Element X which is a great unit. I do have one or two small quibbles with it that have me looking at other options.

I have had my sights on the dCS Bartok as an all-in-one unit, but the price is pretty steep. I've had the chance to demo it with my headphones as well as through speakers and really liked what I heard. I also really liked the simplicity of controlling everything from an app. The Mosaic app seems to work pretty seamlessly with the Bartok and I haven't seen any reports of issues.

I'm curious if the M3h with network card could give similar functionality to the Bartok at a more reasonable price point. I haven't seen much online regarding the M3 and even less about the headphone version M3h. It doesn't look like Bricasti has any sort of app for their network streamers (correct me if I'm wrong here) and I'm not sure how easy it would be to control the unit from a phone/iPad.

Does anyone here have any experience with the M3, M3h, or the streaming functions?

audioguy3107 03-03-2020 11:53 AM

Dan - I was in the same boat before I purchased my dCS Rossini...I wanted a very straightforward, no fuss DAC streamer that also would improve my disc playback since I still have so many redbook CDs. I explored the Bricasti products but like you, I really couldn't seem to find any concrete information about the network card, how it works and what apps you needed to run it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to use a third party application like JRiver to run the streaming off the Bricasti. The dCS Mosaic app was the icing on the cake for me....it works perfectly as well as functioning as the remote control for the DAC and I don't have to bother with another computer or software like ROON. Now Roon is very cool and it is better and more full featured than the Mosaic app, but you don't HAVE to buy it if you don't want, an important consideration for me since my room is a computer free zone!

I'll be able to report back this weekend about the Bricasti.......I'm headed to Monroe, LA to hang with Steve (SL1800) and Tim (Timobi) and I'm taking a dCS Bartok from Hifi Buys with me to compare to the Bricasti since Tim is in the market for a DAC. We're going to have plenty of time to compare the two and report back on the sound. They're both really good DACs and I wouldn't expect to hear a massive difference between the two, but the dCS functionality, support and easy software upgrades and it's own simple app would seem to put the dCS in the hard to beat category. I'll let you know.

- Buck

DVass13 03-03-2020 12:35 PM

Buck, that would be amazingly helpful. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to demo the M3h where I am and wouldn't want to make such a large purchase completely blind. Having demo'd the Bartok at Hifi Buys I know that I already like its sound and functionality. Any feedback you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

GW1800 03-04-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVass13 (Post 997011)
Buck, that would be amazingly helpful. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to demo the M3h where I am and wouldn't want to make such a large purchase completely blind. Having demo'd the Bartok at Hifi Buys I know that I already like its sound and functionality. Any feedback you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Dan let me chime in here.

I will also be in Monroe this weekend visiting Tim to jam. I'm also excited to meet Buck and Steve for the first time!

I have not heard the M3 directly but I do know someone I trust very much and he just LOVES his M3 - he also uses it with headphones. He is kind of a headphone savant and is very picky what he plugs his headphones into. I believe its true you need Roon or an Aurender but even adding all that up you will be thousands of $$'s less then Bartok. Yes its a bit more complicated but particularly an Aurender makes it pretty easy with many great solutions to pick from. As far as service you will be hard pressed to find a better company then Bricasti- very hands on, great equipment and located in the US. Have you called the factory to discuss your concerns? If not I would suggest you give it a try - you will be happy you did!

Also just to be clear no M3 will be part of the "Tim" visit this weekend. What Bricasti has generously sent is their M1SE and M21 DAC when first asked early on. The Bartok dealer refused when asked originally but has now reconsidered after Buck has generously volunteered his time to drive it to Tim's. I"m told the M3 has a similar sound to the big brothers which are very musical indeed. I've owned a M1SE & M12 loved them both and in the process of upgrading to the M21. Should have it in a couple of weeks.

fourxmotion 03-18-2020 02:32 AM

I primarily use Roon with my M3 and it's built in ethernet card but have also used Audrivana. Jriver is also supported.

DVass13 03-18-2020 02:48 AM

Mike,

I gave Damon about a week ago and was a bit sad to hear that he really wasn't too familiar with the headphone version of the M3. I had a few questions about that DAC side of the unit that he was able to answer, but I was left with a number of unanswered questions regarding the headphone amp side. He suggested I call Drew at Moon Audio to discuss. I haven't had a chance to call yet, but suspect Drew might be a good resource as I'm sure he's heard both the M3h and the dCS Bartok with several different TotL headphones.

I'm curious what your thoughts might be between the Bricasti and dCS DACs from the shootout. I think the M21 would be a good competitor to the dCS.

Bones13 03-18-2020 07:15 PM

Roon for streaming for me. I would be using Audirvana+ for P.C. otherwise, a though I very much prefer the ethernet connection. There are a host of DNLA servers and control programs that will work on the Bricasti ethernet connected streamers.

I run my phono pre, and a small Bluetooth device through the analog inputs, and the optical input from the TV when doing BluRay/ATV/cable.

Projectman 05-24-2020 03:47 PM

Just got my Bricasti M3 with Ethernet! Sounding great right out of the box. It will replace two boxes, a Bricasti M5 And a dCS Debussy DAC.

I need to downsize the number of pieces of equipment I have and simplify my system. Looking forward to more listening.

GW1800 05-24-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Projectman (Post 1005559)
Just got my Bricasti M3 with Ethernet! Sounding great right out of the box. It will replace two boxes, a Bricasti M5 And a dCS Debussy DAC.

I need to downsize the number of pieces of equipment I have and simplify my system. Looking forward to more listening.

Sounds good literally. You will really like your choice

Bones13 05-26-2020 08:58 PM

Congratulations! Great gear. I definitely enjoyed the “lower box #” thing. It was superb to clean out the rats nest of USB related stuff, and combined the streamer/DAC/pre-amp into one box. I happen to love the Bricasti DSD converter board.

Projectman 06-12-2020 07:25 PM

Great review on Stereo Times website - http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/brica...-terry-london/

crwilli 06-12-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW1800 (Post 997127)
Dan let me chime in here.

I will also be in Monroe this weekend visiting Tim to jam. I'm also excited to meet Buck and Steve for the first time!

I have not heard the M3 directly but I do know someone I trust very much and he just LOVES his M3 - he also uses it with headphones. He is kind of a headphone savant and is very picky what he plugs his headphones into. I believe its true you need Roon or an Aurender but even adding all that up you will be thousands of $$'s less then Bartok. Yes its a bit more complicated but particularly an Aurender makes it pretty easy with many great solutions to pick from. As far as service you will be hard pressed to find a better company then Bricasti- very hands on, great equipment and located in the US. Have you called the factory to discuss your concerns? If not I would suggest you give it a try - you will be happy you did!

Also just to be clear no M3 will be part of the "Tim" visit this weekend. What Bricasti has generously sent is their M1SE and M21 DAC when first asked early on. The Bartok dealer refused when asked originally but has now reconsidered after Buck has generously volunteered his time to drive it to Tim's. I"m told the M3 has a similar sound to the big brothers which are very musical indeed. I've owned a M1SE & M12 loved them both and in the process of upgrading to the M21. Should have it in a couple of weeks.

Hey guys, Did I miss your thoughts on these DACs after your listening or was this visit cancelled???

Timobi 06-18-2020 12:36 AM

Hey Craig...I never got around to talking about all this...Stay Tuned! ;)

crwilli 06-18-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timobi (Post 1007366)
Hey Craig...I never got around to talking about all this...Stay Tuned! ;)

I’m all ears!

JGlackan 06-23-2020 08:26 PM

Hi guys,

I am an owner of M1se with network and am really curious about the comparisons!

Also, can anyone comment on the MDx upgrade board? No, it is not an SUV.

Craig and I are waiting with baited breath.

Jeff

GW1800 06-24-2020 11:44 AM

I can reply but maybe not as a direct comparison. I had a M12 and used a Aurender N10 server when we directly compared the network connection to the Aurender and it was about a wash. Have since then moved on to a M21 with the new digital board and can't be happier with the results. There is a guy I know that had a M3 and then updated to the new digital card and his comments were as follows "greater detail" which I totally agree with. I think the upgrade is well worth it.

As far as using the network card Vs Aurender I'm still with Aurender but with a W20SE still using a XLR connection. I also know several people using the network card with Roon and are completely happy actually ecstatic about their DAC. I have not directly compared the network card that I do have in the M21 with the Aurender but will at some point.

Timobi 06-26-2020 12:23 PM

Epic Fail on my part for not following up on this! :( Sorry guys!

I got busy and sidetracked.

Ok as its been documented I hosted several guys here from AA at my home in early March. Just before COVID! :)

IN the house was a dCS Bartok; Bricasti M21, & Bricasti M1-SE...

The M21 was brand new.

I'll spare the dCS vs Bricasti summary. BOTH were AND are terrific. Honestly maybe a 50/50 there. Sometimes we preferred the M21 and other times the dCS.

One note. Each day we had the M21 it just got better and better...by the 3rd & 4th day; it was spectacular. So good that Steve, (SL800) wanted to take the loaner home to try in his setup. Steve ended up goin on a full Bricasti marriage. :) :)

I was going to purchase it but then COVID 19 hit and got scared a little with unloading that large purchase.

After a couple of weeks I began thinking the M3 could be the ticket. After chatting with Brian Zolner (Bricasti owner) the M3 shares the same DAC as the M21. Doesn't have the ladder DAC nor the additional power supply. Smaller Chassis..but Brian is very proud of what he did with the M3.

So I purchased the M3 without the network card due to having a pretty nice digital server with Small Green Computer and Sonore. I go USB from the Signature Rendu SE to the M3.

The M3 performs WELL above its price. Don't have the luxury of doing an A/B with the M21 but I think the M3 is more like the M21 than the M1 is. They each have their own sonic feel to them.

Not sure I could really justify the extra cost for the M21 though. I know its better but $8K better? Hmm...

Early on I tried M3 straight to my MC2301s. Was good BUT I liked the C1100 in the mix. Just had a more full sound to it. Granted having the c1100 out of the mix brought more clarity and detail but also lost some midrange fullness...I need to try again as that was very early.

Also with a Turntable I need a preamp.

The M3 is an awesome DAC. When we listened to the M1SE it was great as well. There's a little bit more depth and "air' if you will on the M3 and M21 to me vs the M1.

Just my .02 cents.

Bricasti is truly a great brand that backs their product and updates their entire line.

SL1800 06-28-2020 07:47 AM

Jeff and Craig. My M21 now has the MDx digital board but to be honest I upgraded that board at the same time as receiving the M28 amplifiers so I can’t say what the MDx board did for sound.

sircharles 06-28-2020 08:39 AM

The M3 sounds like a true winner, and deserves a strong consideration for those in the market for a new DAC. As for me...I have had the pleasure of enjoying the M1se DAC since 2017 and on Tuesday the MDx board will be installed at the factory (a 50 min drive from my house). I am excited and can't wait to hear the improvements the upgrade will yield. I especially like the history/culture of Bricasti making available several upgrades at reasonable pricing, without having to buy a new product each time.

Projectman 06-28-2020 10:09 AM

I installed the MDx board in my M3 last week. A substantial improvement in sound. Bricasti charged $720.00 shipped and I did the install, which was very straight forward. A worthwhile upgrade, and in July I understand from Bricasti the MDx upgrade price will increase to $1000.00.

crwilli 06-29-2020 04:17 PM

Based on some fabulous in house listening of an M1SE with Network input (pre MDx), I have purchased an M3 with Network Input. It is ‘planned’ to be a first step as my expectation is I will move to the M21. The simplification the Bricasti products make possible to my front end is mind blowing to me. More to come after it arrives.

Yes, I am giving up spinning SACDs or CDs. Whew! I said it.

sircharles 06-29-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1008115)
Based on some fabulous in house listening of an M1SE with Network input (pre MDx), I have purchased an M3 with Network Input. It is ‘planned’ to be a first step as my expectation is I will move to the M21. The simplification the Bricasti products make possible to my front end is mind blowing to me. More to come after it arrives.

Yes, I am giving up spinning SACDs or CDs. Whew! I said it.

Very interesting how your current decision reflects what happened to me.... I came to the same conclusion as you in 2017 when i demoed the M1 . Two weeks after the demo, i purchased the M1SE (no network input was available at the time). Then came the Network Card upgrade and boy... was that a game changer! I completely forgot about any other input including the USB input i had fallen for and moved full-time to the Ethernet-Input. It just sounded so right in every way. Shortly after the Network Card was installed, I purchased a Melco N1ZH Sever. The dedicated Ethernet player port played a big role in matching the Melco with the Bricasti. To my ears the combo is stunning and very hard to beat. The only question left to answer was, what was i going to do with all my cherished CD's? Well... Melco had the answer... Enter the Melco D100 ripper. I burned all my CD's saved them to the Melco server and passed them through the Bricasti via the Ethernet card and i have never been happier. Everything sounds fantastic! Now i'm left wondering how much better can it get? So, even though i am very satisfied at the moment, curiosity and rave reviews have got me reaching for my wallet again.... The new MDx board and a firmware upgrade happen tomorrow and it can't come soon enough.

crwilli 06-29-2020 07:54 PM

New Bricasti Design M3 DAC

I have found the digital music world emphasizes the point to “never say never”. I never thought I would sell my K-03X unless it was to move up the Esoteric food chain. In fact, I came close to pulling the trigger on a K-1.

The technology moves fast in the digital world.

crwilli 07-06-2020 03:20 PM

New M3 in the house. Easily and quickly set up as my preamp with the network input (While it is working as a ROON endpoint, it shows as “uncertified” by ROON)

Sounds great out of the box. Lots of detail in the music. I will let it run for the week and see how it may change.

It is a small unit. Lots of room in my rack now.

JGlackan 07-06-2020 05:54 PM

https://www.audioaficionado.org/imag...ies/cronie.gif

SCAudiophile 07-07-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1008609)
New M3 in the house. Easily and quickly set up as my preamp with the network input (While it is working as a ROON endpoint, it shows as “uncertified” by ROON)

Sounds great out of the box. Lots of detail in the music. I will let it run for the week and see how it may change.

Congratulations!

Bones13 07-10-2020 10:56 PM

Quote:

Well done! Enjoy.

DaveM 08-20-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Hey Craig,
I noticed the M21 listed in your signature. Did you upgrade from the M3? If so, that was fast and wondering why!
Dave

crwilli 08-20-2020 12:22 PM

Hi Dave, Yes I moved through the M3 in a few weeks. After hearing the M1SE and M3 in my room and speaking with the dealer about the signatures of the family, I decided to move to the M21.

I wanted the extra power supplies, higher build quality and the ladder DAC.

DaveM 08-20-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1012053)
Hi Dave, Yes I moved through the M3 in a few weeks. After hearing the M1SE and M3 in my room and speaking with the dealer about the signatures of the family, I decided to move to the M21.

I wanted the extra power supplies, higher build quality and the ladder DAC.

Congratulations! :chillin: