AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Remote Control (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   RF Universal Remotes (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42045)

dixon007 01-31-2018 09:01 AM

RF Universal Remotes

Looking to replace an out-of-date RF Universal remote system (URS MSC-400 base). My A/V set-up includes HT (MX 121 processor) with MVP891 or Oppo 205, cable, Panasonic Kuro TV, Apple TV and 2-channel (C2600 pass-through for HT) with Esoteric N-05 and G-02 (understand that it may not be possible to program it for Esoteric). Curious if anyone has a good replacement RF universal remote system solution they would recommend.

nicoff 01-31-2018 10:18 AM

I use Logitech Harmony.

vintage_tube 01-31-2018 10:35 AM

Quite popular as nicoff posted:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...versal+remotes

Best Sir,

Bob

PMCH 01-31-2018 10:44 AM

I also use a Logitech Harmony remote. For $50 you can't go wrong.

cleeds 01-31-2018 12:52 PM

I like the Harmony 650, too. But it's an IR remote, not RF.

PMCH 01-31-2018 01:14 PM

Looks like for RF you need the Harmony Ultimate at about $185 if you can't get IR to work.

GaryProtein 01-31-2018 01:41 PM

I'm interested in hearing other responses. I wanted RF because IR is impossible to aim at my components from where I sit in the room.

I have the MX1200 and MSC400 base because I wanted one remote. I needed a serviceman to program it for me since I'm "remotely impaired" (that was a bad pun). These are not easy to program unless you are a computer guru. After programming, it has to be tested on your system in person. You can't send it away with a list of your components and expect it to work properly when it is shipped back.

If you get this type of system unless you have many remotes you wish to consolidate and have a great number of functions you need on it and are really good at programming these things, which I am not, it will be overkill. If you change any components, you will need it re-programmed.

nicoff 01-31-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 896386)
I'm interested in hearing other responses. I wanted RF because IR is impossible to aim at my components from where I sit in the room.

I have the MX1200 and MSC400 base because I wanted one remote. I needed a serviceman to program it for me since I'm "remotely impaired" (that was a bad pun). These are not easy to program unless you are a computer guru. After programming, it has to be tested on your system in person. You can't send it away with a list of your components and expect it to work properly when it is shipped back.

If you get this type of system unless you have many remotes you wish to consolidate and have a great number of functions you need on it and are really good at programming these things, which I am not, it will be overkill. If you change any components, you will need it re-programmed.

The Logitech is one of the easiest to use and easiest to program. But you definitely have to have at some computer knowledge. Maybe a friend can help you set it up. Once it is set up properly, it should just work.
Maybe someone else can chime in with other options.

Antonmb 02-01-2018 03:18 AM

RF Universal Remotes

I’ve been using Logitech Harmony remotes for years. I currently use the Harmony Ultimate in my theater setup and the Harmony Companion in the bedroom. I find them easy to program and adjust with either a computer or an iPad, and not much in the way of special skills required. The handheld is comfortable and easy to use, and the iPhone/iPad app can control the system as well. The system actually works over Wi-Fi, not RF, and is pretty consistent.

dixon007 02-02-2018 10:02 AM

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts.

Bones13 05-30-2018 06:45 AM

I use Harmony with hub currently. My wife could never use the very wonky Control4 system we started with 5 years ago. Lots of flexibility, and they keep updating it, and the supported device list.

In my previous house I used an IR remote receiver (wired) to a small IR signal repeater box to send the signals to devices that were inside the cabinet. Another consideration for you. The box had a wall wart, and allowed me to plug in the little wired IR emmiters.

W9TR 05-30-2018 08:23 AM

RF Universal Remotes

Logitech Harmony Elite w/Hub here. It runs all my gear, the Lutron Caseta lighting, and Hunter Douglas PowerView Shades.

Unless you are looking for deep integration it works great. By deep integration I mean one touch events like placing the source in pause raises the lights to 30%. That is now a 2 step process because the home automation functions like shades and lights can’t be combined with simple device control actions. At least I haven’t figured out how to do it yet.

Lots of flexibility in power on and power off sequences, including lights, shades, etc. So for example when I start the gear for a movie, all the blinds go down and the lights turn on at 50%.

There is a huge library of devices to choose from, although the McIntosh list is a little thin in spots but still very workable. If your device isn’t listed you can always learn its codes, a little tedious but easy to do.

I have an MX 151, C 1100 and the HT passthru works perfectly. I have several activities programmed;
Listen to Vinyl
Listen to Tidal
Watch a Movie
Watch TV
Watch Roku

Highly recommended.

Tom

nicoff 05-30-2018 09:02 AM

I should mention that the Logitech Harmony can integrate with Amazon Alexa. So it is possible to integrate a series of Alexa controlled devices to a single voice command. For example, a command such as “Alexa, turn on the TV” can close shades, turn down the lights and trigger the Logitech Play TV activity.

edkoz 05-30-2018 09:35 AM

Maybe it's time to move from the MX880 to the Logitech Harmony. I like the idea of integration with alexa.
Ed

dixon007 05-30-2018 10:25 AM

Thank you everyone for input. The Logitech Harmony is a compelling one.

Paret 07-19-2018 08:46 PM

Does anyone know how to program the alternate remote codes for a C2600 on a Harmony 650?

I’m using it with Passthru in conjunction with my MX-151 and have the HT part all programmed.

To listen to music it powers the MX and not the C2600 which I have setup with the alternate remote codes.

I can use the Mc remote just for this but the Harmony works great with everything else and it would be awesome to use just one remote.

Thank you.

-E- 07-19-2018 09:06 PM

Used to do Logitech, now I'll only touch URC. PITA to program but once you do, holy cow now that is a proper remote!

clpetersen 07-20-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 896391)
The Logitech is one of the easiest to use and easiest to program. But you definitely have to have at some computer knowledge. Maybe a friend can help you set it up. Once it is set up properly, it should just work.
Maybe someone else can chime in with other options.

We also use Logitech. Have had the 650 (best value at about $70), the Harmony 'Companion' (~$100) which uses the RF 'Hub' and now the Elite ($300) which also uses a Hub. The remote to the Hub is RF, Hub to components is IR, but you can add IR extenders to go inside cabinets, etc.

The Elite is worth the money in my opinion. Easy to program using the iPad app or a computer, but the app is better.

Tip: the best thing we did to get this working seamlessly in our media room is give everything ample time (like 8 seconds or more) to turn on before sending more commands. HDMI handshaking, the bane of home theaters these days, was the biggest headache solved by adequate turn-on timing and getting the turn-on sequence right.

Mr. Big 07-20-2018 06:41 PM

I know I'm in the minority here, but I found that the URC MSC-400 Base Station and MRX-1200 remote was much more flexible and easier to program than the Harmony in terms of programming discrete codes and macros. With any of my RS232-capable components, I can program events such as powering on my home theater and 2-channel systems with a single touch of a button, and setting all the right inputs in any order I want to get me going. The Harmony just didn't allow me to program specific events and inputs in any order. This was a few years ago and maybe things have changed, but I'm afraid I'll have to find something else sometime soon because URC has discontinued the MSC-400 and it cannot be programed on anything but a 32-bit Windows system.

Weirdcuba 07-22-2018 12:23 PM

Are URC’s programmable by consumers or does one have to have a dealer do it? I would be doing this on an apple. The URC website indicates dealer programming only so far as I can tell.

Masterlu 07-22-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 924156)
Are URC’s programmable by consumers or does one have to have a dealer do it? I would be doing this on an apple. The URC website indicates dealer programming only so far as I can tell.

URC Programming software is only made available to dealers.

W9TR 07-22-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paret (Post 923854)
Does anyone know how to program the alternate remote codes for a C2600 on a Harmony 650?

I’m using it with Passthru in conjunction with my MX-151 and have the HT part all programmed.

To listen to music it powers the MX and not the C2600 which I have setup with the alternate remote codes.

I can use the Mc remote just for this but the Harmony works great with everything else and it would be awesome to use just one remote.

Thank you.

Similar situation here. MX 152 and C1100. The workaround I used with my Harmony Elite was to teach it the few alternate codes needed for my C1100 preamp. A bit of a tedious process but it works great.

Tom

Mr. Big 07-22-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 924156)

Even if you could get the software it'll only work on a Windows operating system, or you can use a emulator such as Parallels on a Mac.

Weirdcuba 07-22-2018 11:13 PM

I have an old urc. I may try to have the dealer work on it, but the harmonys are very reasonably priced.

Mr. Big 07-23-2018 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 924240)
I have an old urc. I may try to have the dealer work on it, but the harmonys are very reasonably priced.

If your old URC is as old as my old MX-950, you might have trouble finding someone to program it. It can only be programmed with the old Windows XP operating system which is why I had to toss it back in 2006.

ssto5535 07-23-2018 02:52 PM

I have a Logitech Harmony companion + Hub for the home theater system. I purchased several off-brand IR emitters for my equipment and I have been very happy with it for the last year. I sent the first unit back for a replacement when it stopped maintaining a reliable connection to my wifi network (new one drops Wifi too, so it is probably my AP). This is no longer a problem since I configured the hub to send IR to my Roku instead of using the network. Ironic that old-school IR is still more robust than wifi. The only improvement I desire on the hub would be the addition of Ethernet (possibly POE) since it is more robust than wifi.

I also have two Harmony 350's, one for the living room and one for the bedroom setups. My only dislikes are inability to support macros and that it is not RF (But I knew that and accepted the trade-offs when I purchased them).

Poppyhome 07-23-2018 03:11 PM

I use the Harmony Elite here, and you can configure easily to your hearts content. :thumbsup:

Ron