AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Current state of Home Theater Processors/Receivers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50711)

doggiehowser 01-02-2022 01:08 PM

Sadly no. Anthem like Classé don’t support DSD.

Must be a Canadian thing.

Thing is - if you engage any room correction on the Marantz or Yamaha or Onkyo etc that do decide DSD, it gets converted back to PCM anyway.

I did choose my Marantz AVP for the DSD playback but I felt that I primarily used it for movies - and the Anthem was better for that purpose.

Kal Rubinson 01-02-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1052357)
One question: can you play multi-channel DSD from a SACD-player from your Anthem (without conversion to PCM in between)?

IIRC, no Anthem device supports DSD (SACD) directly and requires they be converted to PCM in the player.

bart 01-02-2022 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 1052380)
IIRC, no Anthem device supports DSD (SACD) directly and requires they be converted to PCM in the player.

Thank you Kal!
I was hoping you would chime in.

What is your experience with Anthem processors?
I read very positive reviews of them.

Is the added sound quality compared to the Marantz - if there is any - neutralised by the extra conversion DSD -> PCM?

I listen to my SACDs in pure audio mode. No Audyssey correction here. It didn't add, it took away in my experience.

bart 01-02-2022 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 1052376)
Sadly no. Anthem like Classé don’t support DSD.

Must be a Canadian thing.

Thing is - if you engage any room correction on the Marantz or Yamaha or Onkyo etc that do decide DSD, it gets converted back to PCM anyway.

I did choose my Marantz AVP for the DSD playback but I felt that I primarily used it for movies - and the Anthem was better for that purpose.

Thank you for your answer.
In our case we listen to music 95% of the time, and watch movies less than 5%.
We do find the Marantz does a pretty good job at that.

Kal Rubinson 01-02-2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1052387)
What is your experience with Anthem processors?

Limited and ancient.

Quote:

Is the added sound quality compared to the Marantz - if there is any - neutralised by the extra conversion DSD -> PCM?
In practice, no because any processing/EQ requires PCM conversion on any machine.

Quote:

I listen to my SACDs in pure audio mode. No Audyssey correction here. It didn't add, it took away in my experience.
Then I'd find a way to bypass the prepro, whichever one you choose.

bart 01-02-2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 1052405)

Then I'd find a way to bypass the prepro, whichever one you choose.

Thanks again Kal.

But I do use the DACs in my Marantz. I think they're better than the ones in my Oppo.
I know an exaSound S88 MII would provide better sound, but I haven't found a way around this problem: I have my Marantz (still needed for Apple TV/Netflix, if only occasionally) connected to my power amps via RCA. I could add a S88 via XLR, but then I'd have to switch the Hegel in the back each time I switch from the Marantz to the S88...

That's why I'm searching for a one box solution. If the Anthem will be Roon ready, it could do the streaming + SACDs + Apple TV (we don't watch cable TV anymore).

Sorry for hijacking this thread a bit, but it might be relevant for other members too.

thxthx 01-02-2022 06:53 PM

My next purchase will be the McIntosh MX123, after which I feel I’m done with any future upgrades. Personally I cannot find a better home theatre processor on the market. There are more expensive Mc processors, but for me they come with a bunch of features I’ll never use. I currently use the MX121 which I love, and only really looking to upgrade to get Dolby Atmos.

Kal Rubinson 01-02-2022 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1052410)
I could add a S88 via XLR, but then I'd have to switch the Hegel in the back each time I switch from the Marantz to the S88...

You could use the RCA outputs of the s88 (or the e68) with a simple RCA switch. Or you could feed the RCA outputs of the DAC into the 7.1 inputs of the Marantz.

SomeGeoffGuy 01-03-2022 12:09 AM

Emotiva just dropped a new basic 13.2 processor for $1000. It is exactly what I am looking for - something to take all my HDMI connectors, decode them, then send sound channels to my amps. It has their in house room correction too. I am using my Oppo for processing right now but it only has one HDMI input and I really need need 3. Mcintosh has something similar but it is $5000.

I like the Anthem and Marantz mega-processors but it seems like I am paying for a bunch of redundant features. I just need HDMI processing and switching!

-Geoff

bart 01-03-2022 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 1052425)
You could use the RCA outputs of the s88 (or the e68) with a simple RCA switch. Or you could feed the RCA outputs of the DAC into the 7.1 inputs of the Marantz.

Thanks again Kal!
The RCA switch is a very interesting idea.
Any brands worth exploring?