AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Chinese High-End Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Line Magnetic spoken here? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=19702)

Freestone 03-07-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev313 (Post 455070)

Here is another showing the A23 bass module.

This looks great.

Kt77 03-09-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardave (Post 455005)
I know this is a Shindo forum, but I thought some folks might be interested in the Line Magnetic products, since they are imported by the same people and carried at many of the same dealers. The new Gold series is out, and it looks simply stunning, and sounds really good. It is a bit more expensive than the silver series, but much less than classic. The amps have a pre-in function which I am using with great success with my Aurieges, but the integrated function sounds really good also. I originally bought the KT120 version, which arrived with a couple of damaged tubes. (My UPS driver is NOT a music lover) The importer graciously allowed my to take the opportunity to trade it for the 845 SET version. FYI...
If this should be in a different forum, moderator, please feel free, I understand.

Hi Dave,

That's an absolutely beautiful amp you've there. Thanks for sharing.
I for one have been following then for the last 2 years, and read between the lines - if Johnathan told enough of them to bring them in....., they've to be magical.

Some, see/view them as the poor man's Shindo - and from what I've heard - that's good enough for me.

Enjoy her - she's a looker.
O_o scar

audiot servant 03-09-2013 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought both these sounded great (please excuse dodgy iphone photography) above is the Gold Series 845 integrated and below is the new Line Magnetic DAC.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...1&d=1362867421
The LM Dac reminded me quite a bit of the Lampizator level 4 which was also in the rack... at half the price it was making some pretty marvellous music. As the LMs were not long in it is difficult to say much more than that... would definitely put it on a digital audition list if you love the glow of valves. If I hadn't just got in a new DAC recently I'd have been quite keen myself.

But the amp was the real winner of the two... won me over straight away and I personally much preferred it to the 300B integrated by Line Magnetic but that's just a valve preference... either way its purely extraordinary value in valves.

Initially listened to it straight as an integrated and you could hear the deep space the 845 SET created and that musical immediacy it has... then later using it with a Shindo up front and the Shindo pre just turns it into a much livelier and more beguiling proposition again and makes this quite a magical combo.... wish they did a straight stereo version of the 845 amp. Very stylish looks in real life as well... very cool looking bit of gear. Not too retro and nice warm looking mix of metals and the gloss white valve covers.

Listened to both the Devore 0/93 and 0/96 with the Line Magnetics... despite some slight hesitation I have on the balance each time I hear the 0/96 it is such a great speaker in most every other way that while the 93's are great value the bigger brother is just the perfect match for the Line Magnetic electronics... just throw in a Shindo pre and press play.

The thing that amazes me is this gear is less dollars than my first valve gear that I bought back in the 80's and it is so musical. Great time for valves atm.

G

guitardave 03-09-2013 11:46 PM

I now have about 100 hrs. on the amp and it has opened up nicely. Initially I felt it was better as an integrated, but now as it is breaking in I feel it is at LEAST as good as just a power amp using the pre-in function. I have now upgraded the input tubes with great results. I continue to be totally impressed in every way, but particularly with the Aurieges driving it.

psyopwak 03-11-2013 07:42 PM

The white and gold LM Audio look outstanding, really different. I love my 216IA and it drives some Vandersteen 2CE Sig II speakers beautifully.

Masterlu 03-11-2013 08:55 PM

Kt77... Welcome! :wave:

bakerman 03-11-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyopwak (Post 458359)
The white and gold LM Audio look outstanding, really different. I love my 216IA and it drives some Vandersteen 2CE Sig II speakers beautifully.

They are great little amps. I'm surprised that the 216IA drives the 86db Vandersteens. Do you run it in the triode or ultra-linear mode?

psyopwak 03-11-2013 09:25 PM

Yes I run them in triode mode. But I had auditioned them at my dealers home first and they sounded terrific on the music I play. Which is jazz and blues and instrumental. Upright bass was tight and full and went low. I changed to Gold Lion KT88 power tubes and sylvania NOS tubes upfront. Vocals were heavenly. But as an ace in the hole, I also have a Parasound A21 that I can swap in. If I feel the Parasound sounds head over heels better, I will find some speakers easier to drive.

I tend to buy more speakers than the wife likes.....he he

bakerman 03-11-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyopwak (Post 458397)
Yes I run them in triode mode. But I had auditioned them at my dealers home first and they sounded terrific on the music I play. Which is jazz and blues and instrumental. Upright bass was tight and full and went low. I changed to Gold Lion KT88 power tubes and sylvania NOS tubes upfront. Vocals were heavenly. But as an ace in the hole, I also have a Parasound A21 that I can swap in. If I feel the Parasound sounds head over heels better, I will find some speakers easier to drive.

I tend to buy more speakers than the wife likes.....he he

It really is amazing how loud 20 some odd watts can go. For that type of music I bet it does sound fantastic, especially with the GL KT88's. :yes:

psyopwak 03-11-2013 09:52 PM

BTW Line Magnetic Audio is kinda flying under the radar, but it's changing slowly. I think some Chinese audio companies have not been taken that seriously. My dealer was astounded by the sound of the LM Audio line, and the large SET amp just blew him away driving the Devore Orangutan speakers. He does not carry slouch audio gear. He carries Shindo, ARC, Sonus Faber, Leben and others. For the money he was so impressed by the LM Audio line, he decided to carry them.

It's not crazy I think to imagine China to become a big audio player in the future, if the govt allows it. Some of the stuff coming out is very good. The LM Audio gear is largely designed after the old Western Electric Company of the USA.

Have you seen some of the LM field coil speakers?? I heard a pair and they are very nice indeed...