AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Mark Levinson (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Cap replacement No 32 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40173)

Old School 08-07-2017 11:51 AM

Cap replacement No 32

I have been looking for a No 32 preamp for years and was finally able to get one. Wow what a difference over my 38s! I know these things are starting to get some age on them. The preamp that I have, I was told has more age on it than use time.

Just curious if I should send it in to have the capacitors replaced or just keep running with it? I have had the capacitors replaced in all my other gear. It would be tough not having a preamp while this is done.

jdandy 08-07-2017 12:08 PM

Old School.......Like the old saying goes; "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Cohibaman 08-07-2017 12:30 PM

I'd at least open it up and look to see if any caps are leaking.

Old School 08-07-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 860437)
I'd at least open it up and look to see if any caps are leaking.

I did do that, and it looks brand new inside.......

tdelahanty 08-07-2017 01:22 PM

The cap issue generally speaking was in power amps. I would not do anything to your preamp until it stops working.

Old School 08-07-2017 03:02 PM

Thanks I appreciate it, that's awesome to hear!

tunes 08-07-2017 08:06 PM

I would just leave it be until it needs servicing.
The 32 is a wonderful preamp. I had one with the optional phono boards and absolutely loved it. Went into tubes so ended up selling it and to the day is one of my few audio gear sales regrets. Enjoy it Old School.
Chris

Karl Maga 08-08-2017 10:46 PM

Old School, as I read your initial post, I had the notion that contacting Mark Levinson/Harmon Audio with your question might net an interesting response.

AudioIdiot 12-24-2018 02:12 PM

This is an interesting question and in particular while I am in search of a used 32.
I know that changing the caps in a poweramp can sometimes do wonders.
A friend of mine changed all caps in a 20 year old Sphinx Project 18 and as this amp is always on (also in standby) these caps must have been really worn. After the replacement he found he had a new amp.

I guess that in a pre-amp the caps get stressed less, but if it is 20 years old it might give you a new sound.

Not sure what I will do when I find one.

Old School 12-27-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioIdiot (Post 946153)
This is an interesting question and in particular while I am in search of a used 32.
I know that changing the caps in a poweramp can sometimes do wonders.
A friend of mine changed all caps in a 20 year old Sphinx Project 18 and as this amp is always on (also in standby) these caps must have been really worn. After the replacement he found he had a new amp.

I guess that in a pre-amp the caps get stressed less, but if it is 20 years old it might give you a new sound.

Not sure what I will do when I find one.

Good luck on your search it took me a while to find one.

I called pyramid audio in Texas to ask them their opinion on cap replacement. They're Mark Levinson service tech guy told me the number 32 preamp never had cap issues, and was designed very well from the beginning. He told me to leave it alone and enjoy it!