AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Remote Control (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Can This Be Done? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25447)

Jack in Wilmington 02-21-2014 11:15 AM

Can This Be Done?

OK guys, I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition and I want to use it to stream movies and play them on my Panny plasma. The TV does not have wireless capability but I want to be able to pause the movie or show from my chair. Now I am using my laptop with an HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV. Is there an easy way to do this with an IR repeater or something else? Thanks, Jack

redm 02-21-2014 11:21 AM

Where do you want to stream them from? If you use UPNP there are a variety of options. If you are doing it via some player on your laptop, your controller is limited to the OS options (screen sharing or remote keyboard) or the player if it has an app.

jdandy 02-21-2014 01:37 PM

Jack.......It is much simpler to connect a Roku 3 to your widescreen. It gives you wireless streaming and access to a huge library of content including Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon, and a ton of free programming. The Roku 3 has its own remote and costs $99.99 with free shipping. You should take a look at it. I really like mine.

Alberto 02-21-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 583025)
Jack.......It is much simpler to connect a Roku 3 to your widescreen. It gives you wireless streaming and access to a huge library of content including Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon, and a ton of free programming. The Roku 3 has its own remote and costs $99.99 with free shipping. You should take a look at it. I really like mine.

I second that recommendation. I also love my Roku!

Alberto

Alberto 02-21-2014 02:23 PM

BTW. I also like Google's Chromecast. A deal at ~$30.

Alberto

-E- 02-21-2014 02:29 PM

Chromecast is your winner.

Jack in Wilmington 02-21-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -E- (Post 583042)
Chromecast is your winner.

From what I read, I plug the Chromecast into the TV and I use my tablet to stream movies to the TV through the Chromecast, or does the Chromecast store the data like a flash drive?

jdandy 02-21-2014 03:40 PM

Jack.......The issues I see with Chromecast is you still need your smartphone, tablet or laptop to send videos to the television as well as needing one of those same smartphones, tablets, or laptops to control it. For my use the Roku 3 is much simpler with it's own dedicated remote. In addition, the Roku 3 also has Ethernet connectivity should you choose not to use it wirelessly.

Jack in Wilmington 02-21-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 583052)
Jack.......The issues I see with Chromecast is you still need your smartphone, tablet or laptop to send videos to the television as well as needing one of those same smartphones, tablets, or laptops to control it. For my use the Roku 3 is much simpler with it's own dedicated remote. In addition, the Roku 3 also has Ethernet connectivity should you choose not to use it wirelessly.

I just watched the you tube videos on each one and the Roku appears to be more of what I'm looking for Dan. Thanks for you help, everyone.

Alberto 02-21-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington (Post 583055)
I just watched the you tube videos on each one and the Roku appears to be more of what I'm looking for Dan. Thanks for you help, everyone.

You should consider both (at $30 the Chromecast is a steal.) With my cable provider, I can't access all of the HBOGo shows on demand through the Roku -- some kind of deal (or lack thereof) but it works great with the Chromecast.

I also like the ability to see YouTube video on the full screen TV, a cinch with Chromecast.

I have both and enjoy them both a lot.

Alberto