AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Dan Clark Audio “Stealth” (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50196)

JemHadar 08-20-2021 10:16 AM

Dan Clark Audio “Stealth”

1 Attachment(s)
Planar Magnetic Closed Back
I’m not even going to bother with the temptation stage…asked my dealer for a quote. Apparently availability in Europe could be an issue.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1629468888

Antonmb 08-20-2021 11:13 AM

They look like an upgrade to the Aeon 2 closed, which I’ve found to be one of the most comfortable headphones ever. These are going to have to go on my Christmas list.

JemHadar 08-25-2021 04:55 PM

Have one on order…now the wait begins…

bart 08-25-2021 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemHadar (Post 1043964)
Have one on order…now the wait begins…

:lurk:

And congrats!

JemHadar 10-17-2021 11:00 AM

I wish I could say, as some have, that the Dan Clark Audio Stealth offers a transformative experience in audio. In my case it didn’t. As a matter of fact I’m quite conflicted about this headphone and the substantial void it made in my audio-toys budget.

So why these ramblings? Apparently I’m not alone in my findings.

For a 4.000$ headphone the execution should be flawless, even for a boutique product like the Stealth. Unfortunately my specimen isn’t. One cup has what looks like a haze of glue residue only the size of a few mm; the other cup has some indentations like from a gripping mechanism or pincer. Very minor defects, probably too minor to make a case about them, but for an OCD inclined person expecting perfection, no easy thing and definitely not helping the experience. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

So what about first impressions:

For a planar magnetic it is relatively light. For a closed back it sounds surprisingly open. The tonal balance is very natural from the midrange all the way up the treble; no funny stuff with cymbals or sibilance. Isolation is better than the LCD XC. Bass goes low but is very recessed. Detail retrieval and instrument separation are excellent. However no slam or any hint of dynamics whatsoever and this is sorely missed in the bass and sub bass region.

The Stealth sounds very un-headphone like and comes closer to a loudspeaker experience, but once again the lack of bass is a killjoy.

Where the LCD XC is rock ‘n roll, the Stealth is very polite, maybe too polite in its presentation.

The Stealth is not a bad headphone, far from it. The tuning alone makes it king of the hill as far as closed back headphones go. However the bass thing is completely unexpected.

I’m hoping that using a balanced cable (on order but not yet received) will elevate the performance to a level worthy of its high-end SOTA aspirations and matching price tag.

A little card in the box tells me the headphone needs 50 up to 100 hours of use to settle and I’m not there yet by a long shot. So the jury is still out and the final verdict will be rendered at a later date.

As always, try to audition first if you can. If that is not possible and if one is a bass head or expecting slam, impact and macro dynamics, the Stealth is most likely not for you. Voila, I saved you a lot of money.

On a side note, totally unexpected and in an almost wry kind of way I appreciate my Audeze LCD XC (2020) even more now. In combination with the Audeze Roon DSP plugin it offers incredible value for the buck. It is heavy, but that really doesn’t bother me.

It would seem, when scouring the interwebs, that right now, the Audeze LCD XC 2021 edition offers one of the best value propositions as far as closed back planars go today. So I can only recommend comparing the LCD XC 2021 to the Stealth side by side if you are in the market for a closed back HP.

Antonmb 10-17-2021 12:26 PM

Thanks for this review - I’ve been considering the Stealth but will try to find a way to audition them and wait for your update with the balanced cable (I would use them with a balanced amp).

Masterlu 10-17-2021 03:06 PM

FWIW, the very best headphone that I heard/owned, are the Meze Empyrean’s by a wide Margin.

At last count; I have 14 pairs of cans.

bart 10-17-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1047158)
FWIW, the very best headphone that I heard/owned, are the Meze Empyrean’s by a wide Margin.

At last count; I have 14 pairs of cans.

Ivan, the Meze is open back, and I think Mrs Jacques would/could object.
But I am with you, it is a terrific headphone, and probably the one I would buy... but now there is the Meze Elite, which seems to even improve on the Empyrean.
There was an article from a trusted reviewer who could compare both.
It is 4K instead of 3K though...

bart 10-17-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemHadar (Post 1047144)
I wish I could say, as some have, that the Dan Clark Audio Stealth offers a transformative experience in audio. In my case it didn’t. As a matter of fact I’m quite conflicted about this headphone and the substantial void it made in my audio-toys budget.

So why these ramblings? Apparently I’m not alone in my findings.

For a 4.000$ headphone the execution should be flawless, even for a boutique product like the Stealth. Unfortunately my specimen isn’t. One cup has what looks like a haze of glue residue only the size of a few mm; the other cup has some indentations like from a gripping mechanism or pincer. Very minor defects, probably too minor to make a case about them, but for an OCD inclined person expecting perfection, no easy thing and definitely not helping the experience. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

So what about first impressions:

For a planar magnetic it is relatively light. For a closed back it sounds surprisingly open. The tonal balance is very natural from the midrange all the way up the treble; no funny stuff with cymbals or sibilance. Isolation is better than the LCD XC. Bass goes low but is very recessed. Detail retrieval and instrument separation are excellent. However no slam or any hint of dynamics whatsoever and this is sorely missed in the bass and sub bass region.

The Stealth sounds very un-headphone like and comes closer to a loudspeaker experience, but once again the lack of bass is a killjoy.

Where the LCD XC is rock ‘n roll, the Stealth is very polite, maybe too polite in its presentation.

The Stealth is not a bad headphone, far from it. The tuning alone makes it king of the hill as far as closed back headphones go. However the bass thing is completely unexpected.

I’m hoping that using a balanced cable (on order but not yet received) will elevate the performance to a level worthy of its high-end SOTA aspirations and matching price tag.

A little card in the box tells me the headphone needs 50 up to 100 hours of use to settle and I’m not there yet by a long shot. So the jury is still out and the final verdict will be rendered at a later date.

As always, try to audition first if you can. If that is not possible and if one is a bass head or expecting slam, impact and macro dynamics, the Stealth is most likely not for you. Voila, I saved you a lot of money.

On a side note, totally unexpected and in an almost wry kind of way I appreciate my Audeze LCD XC (2020) even more now. In combination with the Audeze Roon DSP plugin it offers incredible value for the buck. It is heavy, but that really doesn’t bother me.

It would seem, when scouring the interwebs, that right now, the Audeze LCD XC 2021 edition offers one of the best value propositions as far as closed back planars go today. So I can only recommend comparing the LCD XC 2021 to the Stealth side by side if you are in the market for a closed back HP.

Jacques, could the imperfections be a reason to turn it back?

JemHadar 10-17-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1047171)
Jacques, could the imperfections be a reason to turn it back?

Although these defects shouldn’t be there and shouldn’t have gotten past quality control they are very very minor. I will give them their 100 hours and see what happens.