AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   TAD Speakers & Electronics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Giving the TAD CR-1's a spin! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13284)

jdebonth 03-31-2012 06:56 PM

Giving the TAD CR-1's a spin!

1 Attachment(s)
I managed to find a great deal on a pair of CR-1's so I figured I would pick them up to compare to my (recently acquired) Rockport Ankaa's. I will be able to make a well informed decision in terms of best match to my room, music taste and electronics.

I will post my findings in this thread. First impressions are that although the bass performance out of these 8" woofers blows my mind (I measured flat down to 30Hz), I do miss the 20-30Hz region (largely due to the type of music I listen to) and a single (or pair) of subs would be needed. Second the CST drive unit is absolutely sublime; incredibly detailed and resolving and there is alot more high frequency 'sparkle' then what I have now gotten used to with the Ankaa's which are darker and not as spotlit in this regard (I should note that the latest generation Rockport's have beryllium tweeters however I am not familiar with their sound).

Oh, and my girlfriend has a strong aesthetic preference for the CR-1's so that may play a role also :hug: :yes:

Will post back again later!

Masterlu 03-31-2012 06:58 PM

Let the Fun begin! :banana:

chessman 03-31-2012 06:59 PM

Joost, what a sweet dilemma to have: Rockport or Tad. Wow!!

joeinid 03-31-2012 07:15 PM

Congratulations Joost!

Wow! There is nothing like trying them out in your own environment. I have not had the pleasure of hearing mine on the Burmester 911's yet. I can't wait for that to happen. These are amazing speakers. My neck was sore for the first week because I kept turning my head thinking I was hearing things to the left, right and behind me. Totally unreal. I absolutely love mine. Keep us updated. BTW, your girlfriend has excellent taste ;)

jwhite613 03-31-2012 08:36 PM

Joost...Keep 'em both, Variety is the spice of life! :D Enjoy them both and take your time. :yes:

KahunaCanuck 03-31-2012 09:55 PM

What a great way to do a full on comparison! Have fun and keep us in the loop!

:thumbsup:

cmalak 04-01-2012 01:21 AM

Joost...congrats on the TAD CR-1s. Absolutely gorgeous. Looking forward to your comparison :thumbsup:

Jerome W 04-01-2012 02:43 AM

Joost,

Having such speakers for a tryout is a blessing.
Enjoy !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Still-One 04-01-2012 08:44 AM

There is nothing like being able to try out speakers in your own room. Nice choice.

Jim

JohnThomas 04-01-2012 09:50 AM

I agree with your girlfriend. The CR-1's are TAD better looking. Look forward to your impressions.