AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Headphones, Personal Listening Gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Topping brand (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49098)

PHC1 11-29-2020 12:39 PM

Topping brand

Topping brand seems to be gaining a lot of popularity with their DACs and headphone amps among the streaming/computer desk audiophiles. Tidalians? Qobuzians? Roonians? :D

Has anyone had a chance to play with a Topping DAC/Headphone amp?

Review of the Topping A90. https://youtu.be/e0BEt1-qg0M

W9TR 11-29-2020 12:54 PM

I have a Topping D50. I own several ESS-based DAC's and this is the worst sounding of the bunch. Living with it for awhile proves it to be less than musically engaging. Like 70's era solid state.

I think all of the Topping love comes from a biased and totally measurement-focused forum called Audio Science Review.

Sometimes, even if you paid close to nothing, you realize that you've been taken. :)

Puma Cat 11-29-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1023072)
I have a Topping D50. I own several ESS-based DAC's and this is the worst sounding of the bunch. Living with it for awhile proves it to be less than musically engaging. Like 70's era solid state.

I think all of the Topping love comes from a biased and totally measurement-focused forum called Audio Science Review.

Sometimes, even if you paid close to nothing, you realize that you've been taken. :)

:thumbsup:

PHC1 11-29-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1023072)

Thanks for the info Tom. Seems to be another case of "group confirmation-bias contagion".

Definitely not for my ears then. :D

I am very happy with the Audeze Deckard DAC and variable preamp-outs that I can feed my Woo Audio tubes and headphones depending on SS vs Toob mood.

My DAC was not a favorite of Audio Science Reviews so obviously we have a difference of taste there. :D

Higgens 11-29-2020 01:45 PM

The Topping D-90 uses an AK DAC chip FWIW

PHC1 11-29-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgens (Post 1023082)
The Topping D-90 uses an AK DAC chip FWIW

That might make a very significant difference. DAC chips are not fancy power cords, one can hear a difference!

Higgens 11-29-2020 01:50 PM

Jim Smith, who is on that other forum you frequently visit, owns one and likes it.

PHC1 11-29-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgens (Post 1023084)
Jim Smith, who is on that other forum you frequently visit, owns one and likes it.

I'll inquire, thanks. It is really for a friend of mine who wants to get into computer desk streaming/listening. I love my tubes but want to keep it simple for the non-audiophile friend.

W9TR 11-29-2020 02:37 PM

Topping brand

If I were to suggest desktop options for personal listening they would all come from Schiit. One of their multi-bit DAC’s and a SS headamp.

Great value and great sound, made in the US of A. Hard to beat.

PHC1 11-29-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1023093)
If I were to suggest desktop options for personal listening they would all come from Schiit. One of their multi-bit DAC’s and a SS headamp.

Great value and great sound, made in the US of A. Hard to beat.

Oh, I've been knee deep in schiit (in a good way :D) I've done many comparisons and reviews in this section of AA.

That will be my next suggestion if the Topping that has interested him is eliminated. The Schiit Asgard with the multibit DAC module was outstanding for $399 in my own experience. He may go for Jotunheim with the multi-bit for balanced option. My suggestion was to keep it simple at first and see where it takes him as the upgrade bug will inevitably bite at some point.