AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Shindo Corton Charlemagne Q (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9519)

Jerome W 08-18-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1515 (Post 194147)
I have never seen any retail prices for their speakers, what do they go for?

Joe

Between 150k for bookshelves and 800k for the big ones.

Just kidding ! :D

PHC1 08-18-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Joe

Between $30k and $67k. The "field coil" versions are I would imagine where the magic is at and those are over $50k for the Petite and $67k for the larger version. Since we are, or at least I am used to looking at some real heft, size and modern technology (think Wilson Maxx3) for that kind of dough, one needs to be a real Shindo connoisseur to work up the appetite and courage to step up to the Shindo holy Grail speakers. With 100dB efficiency and 16 ohm impedance, these Shindo speakers will bring out the very best of any Shindo amps though. :yes:

So far I've been able to sidetrack myself from pulling the trigger. Why do you think I ordered the Tannoy Canterbury as an upgrade that will only cost me $7k to upgrade from my Kensingtons! :D

PHC1 08-18-2011 12:15 PM

The thought of having vacuum tubes inside speakers as well (field coil) is one that is tough to resist though! :D

Jerome W 08-18-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 194161)
The thought of having vacuum tubes inside speakers as well (field coil) is one that is tough to resist though! :D

Serge,
Resistance is futile !
Just sell one of the things with 4 wheels that you have in your garage and buy the Shindo TT and the big Latour :D !

PHC1 08-18-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194165)
Serge,
Resistance is futile !
Just sell one of the things with 4 wheels that you have in your garage and buy the Shindo TT and the big Latour :D !

I know Jerome, it's only a matter of time... :D

AA community is like the black hole, once you get anywhere near it's gravitational pull, there is only a smoking hole left in your pants where your wallet used to be... Pffffft....

Jerome W 08-18-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 194168)
I know Jerome, it's only a matter of time... :D

AA community is like the black hole, once you get anywhere near it's gravitational pull, there is only a smoking hole left in your pants where your wallet used to be... Pffffft....

Serge,
The day you set up a full Shindo system, be prepared to see me for a listening !

PHC1 08-18-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194174)
Serge,
The day you set up a full Shindo system, be prepared to see me for a listening !

Welcome any time my friend! :thumbsup:

jwhite613 08-18-2011 12:50 PM

Jerome... Could you build a small system in another room?

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194016)
Ok folks, many good thoughts here. Thanks a lot !

I cannot ignore Matt's recommendations and yet my experience with low power amps with the EB1i tells me that the 70 W Class A CCQ should be more than enough to drive them the way that I want to.

There is nothing wrong to me with the sound of the 2301's. Most of the time, I listen at moderate volumes. Yesterday night, I was listening at Patricia Barber's Fortnight in France, and I wanted to crank the volume up to peaks of 300 W but it does not happen often.

Ordering a Shindo preamp is a no no at this time. Too complicated to have 2 preamps in my system. Monoblocks are much easier to switch.

:scratch2: The fact that the speakers even require you to crank them to 300W peaks is indication enough that a tube amp is really wasn't the design center that the speakers were built around.

Like I mentioned, a Shindo preamp would mate perfectly with your amp and is the recommended route you should take.

I'm not saying you need to have two preamps. One is enough. :yes:

-M

Jerome W 08-18-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhite613 (Post 194176)
Jerome... Could you build a small system in another room?

I have already one but I will have to work hard on my wife to make her accept a real speakers placement.
She is not ready to accept a real high end system in an other room unfortunately.

Jerome W 08-18-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect (Post 194177)
:scratch2: The fact that the speakers even require you to crank them to 300W peaks is indication enough that a tube amp is really wasn't the design center that the speakers were built around.

Like I mentioned, a Shindo preamp would mate perfectly with your amp and is the recommended route you should take.

-M

Matt,
Interesting remark. But I have to correct you just a bit : the speakers were sounding very good with 30W. They did not "need" peaks of 300W. I just wanted them to make a real life volume and simulate a true double bass / piano and drums in the room.
Usually I don't listen at concert levels.
But I see what you mean.
A good amp / speakers matching should allow to reach concert levels at the power of the amp right ? I know that the CCQ won't be able to do that with my speakers. That's not my will since I want to keep the 2301's. Have you seen my post on the previous page ?
Ok, I'm thinking about the Masseto now :D ! Things become more complicated than I thought :scratch2:

JohnThomas 08-18-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect (Post 194177)

-M

Jerome,

So your the first to get suck in by Alberto and Serge's Shindo frenzy. I applaud you as I'm trying to avoid it. Being a prior PMC IB2 owner I don't see your speakers pulling off the Shindo amps unless your speakers are more efficient then the IB2's. I would take Matt's advise and try a preamp first. I know when I eventually get sucked in that's the route I would go. I could get my toes wet and still drive my Princes. But you will probably suprise us all which is a good thing to. I wish you luck.

Jerome W 08-18-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnThomas (Post 194192)
Jerome,

So your the first to get suck in by Alberto and Serge's Shindo frenzy. I applaud you as I'm trying to avoid it. Being a prior PMC IB2 owner I don't see your speakers pulling off the Shindo amps unless your speakers are more efficient then the IB2's. I would take Matt's advise and try a preamp first. I know when I eventually get sucked in that's the route I would go. I could get my toes wet and still drive my Princes. But you will probably suprise us all which is a good thing to. I wish you luck.

Nice image John ! :thumbsup:

Jerome W 08-18-2011 01:37 PM

Matt,
What is the power of the CCQ into 4 ohms ?
35 W ?

joe1515 08-18-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 194160)
Between $30k and $67k. The "field coil" versions are I would imagine where the magic is at and those are over $50k for the Petite and $67k for the larger version. Since we are, or at least I am used to looking at some real heft, size and modern technology (think Wilson Maxx3) for that kind of dough, one needs to be a real Shindo connoisseur to work up the appetite and courage to step up to the Shindo holy Grail speakers. With 100dB efficiency and 16 ohm impedance, these Shindo speakers will bring out the very best of any Shindo amps though. :yes:

So far I've been able to sidetrack myself from pulling the trigger. Why do you think I ordered the Tannoy Canterbury as an upgrade that will only cost me $7k to upgrade from my Kensingtons! :D

Thanks. I figured they were in those ballparks.

Joe

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Joe

Hi Joe,

Shindo speakers start at $29.9k for the Petite Latour and move all the way up to $67.5k for the full size Field Coil Latour.

In total, there are 8 versions of Shindo loudspeakers, all of them incredible in their own way. Your room size/listening distance will also be a determining factor in deciding the model.

There is something quite special when you have a 2 way, large cabinet based, 100~db 16Ω speaker. You'll find that 'lower powered' (8-20wpc, depending on room size) is all you need. They can be driven to concert levels by a 10wpc amplifier, and barely break a sweat.

Even the standard Petite Latour, for example, uses Alnico based compression high frequency unit & 12" short throw paper woofer, Shindo crossover, cabinet, etc. They give you, musically, far more than other loudspeakers. You won't find a tweaked $99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet in a Shindo speaker and sold for $30k. pr. :scratch2:

-M

PHC1 08-18-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect (Post 194218)
Hi Joe,

Shindo speakers start at $29.9k for the Petite Latour and move all the way up to $67.5k for the full size Field Coil Latour.

In total, there are 8 versions of Shindo loudspeakers, all of them incredible in their own way. Your room size/listening distance will also be a determining factor in deciding the model.

There is something quite special when you have a 2 way, large cabinet based, 100~db 16Ω speaker. You'll find that 'lower powered' (8-20wpc, depending on room size) is all you need. They can be driven to concert levels by a 10wpc amplifier, and barely break a sweat.

Even the standard Petite Latour, for example, uses Alnico based compression high frequency unit & 12" short throw paper woofer, Shindo crossover, cabinet, etc. They give you, musically, far more than other loudspeakers. You won't find a tweaked $99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet in a Shindo speaker and sold for $30k. pr. :scratch2:

-M

Matt, I'll have to take a flight and spend a few days on the west coast and would love to take a good listen to Shindo speakers. :yes:

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 02:46 PM

If it were me and I had Shindo, I'd be takin' a hard look at a pair of Zu Soul Superflys...

sibelius 08-18-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 194223)
If it were me and I had Shindo, I'd be takin' a hard look at a pair of Zu Soul Superflys...

Now that's funny.

PHC1 08-18-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 194223)

That thought did cross my mind. I doubt they sound as refined as the other candidates though. I've gathered they can sound relentless with anything but a warm and fuzzy tube amp like Dynaco70 for example. Shindo deserves and requires much better than that.

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 194017)
Audio Note.

Yes, these work well with a few Shindo amps - Montille, Montrachet in particular. You need corner clearance as they are designed particularly for corner room loading. This may or may not be possible in some listening environments.

-M

joe1515 08-18-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Hi Joe,

-M

Thanks Matt.

Joe

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 194227)
That thought did cross my mind. I doubt they sound as refined as the other candidates though. I've gathered they can sound relentless with anything but a warm and fuzzy tube amp like Dynaco70 for example. Shindo deserves and requires much better than that.

I've heard them and I would not characterize at all that way at all...

Jerome W 08-18-2011 03:48 PM

Does Art Dudley use Corton Charlemagne EL34 ( 2 x 25 W ) with his Wilson Sophia or is my memory wrong ?

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194245)
Does Art Dudley use Corton Charlemagne EL34 ( 2 x 25 W ) with his Wilson Sophia or is my memory wrong ?

Art uses them with Audio Note ANE4-6itizxsomething or other (keeping Audio Note model numbers straight is like trying to keep Harley-Davidson models straight with their FLXs and FLH2e and FXSRs, blah, blah...:scratch2:)

He has reviewed Wilsons and may have a pair on loan, but AFAIK, he does not own Wilsons...

Jerome W 08-18-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 194248)
Art uses them with Audio Note ANE4-6itizxsomething or other (keeping Audio Note model numbers straight is like trying to keep Harley-Davidson models straight with their FLXs and FLH2e and FXSRs, blah, blah...:scratch2:)

He has reviewed Wilsons and may have a pair on loan, but AFAIK, he does not own Wilsons...

Yep, I found where he says that he uses the Corton EL34 with the Sophia 3.

"My primary amplifiers during the Sophias' stay were a pair of Shindo Corton-Charlemagne monoblocks: 25W push-pull amps using two EL34s each in ultralinear mode, with zero global feedback (but a bit of local feedback around the input and driver tubes). Unusually among recent Shindos, the Cortons' output transformers can be wired for 4-ohm output, which I duly did."

Matt, what does the last phrase in black mean ?

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

You won't find a tweaked $99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet in a Shindo speaker and sold for $30k. pr. :scratch2:

-M

Hmmm..."$99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet"....sounds like Wils..er, never mind.

joe1515 08-18-2011 04:41 PM

I have always wondered why Devore speakers are such a good match with Shindo? The sensitivity for The Nines is only 90.5db and the Super 8's is 90db :scratch2:

Joe

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194251)
Yep, I found where he says that he uses the Corton EL34 with the Sophia 3.

"My primary amplifiers during the Sophias' stay were a pair of Shindo Corton-Charlemagne monoblocks: 25W push-pull amps using two EL34s each in ultralinear mode, with zero global feedback (but a bit of local feedback around the input and driver tubes). Unusually among recent Shindos, the Cortons' output transformers can be wired for 4-ohm output, which I duly did."

Matt, what does the last phrase in black mean ?

I think it's basically setting the output taps (binding posts) on the amp to be optimal for four ohm speaker loads..this involves rewiring the transformers. Some amps already come with 4, 8 or 16 ohm taps.

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194245)

Yes, he had used them when he reviewed the speakers.

-M

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 194252)
Hmmm..."$99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet"....sounds like Wils..er, never mind.

:D

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 194262)
I think it's basically setting the output taps (binding posts) on the amp to be optimal for four ohm speaker loads..this involves rewiring the transformers. Some amps already come with 4, 8 or 16 ohm taps.

Yes, correct, Art re-wired the output, to use the 4 ohm taps from the output transformer.

-M

Jerome W 08-18-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect

Yes, correct, Art re-wired the output, to use the 4 ohm taps from the output transformer.

-M

So it means that he gets 25 W on 4 ohms speakers ?
If I do so on the CCQ, will I get 70 W on 4 ohms or 35 W ?

Puma Cat 08-18-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194267)

Depends on the amp. With many SS designs, you get twice the power at the lower impedance, so a 100 Wpc SS amp at 8 ohms will deliver 200 Wpc at 4 ohms.

But that doesn't always hold true with tube amps...my C-J gives 70 Wpc at either 8 ohm or 4 ohm loads....might have something to do with the differences in transformer design between tube and SS amps.

JSCC 08-18-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 194219)
Matt, I'll have to take a flight and spend a few days on the west coast and would love to take a good listen to Shindo speakers. :yes:

Serge,

$$$ arre but numbers to you, akin to the number of 4 exotic wheels you had lined up in your garage. :yes:

Just tell yourself to find that one 4 wheel that you no longer fancy, and presto, it should be good enough to exchange for the ultimate pair of Latour (just go for the biggest one). :thumbsup:

Affordability is never a word in your dictionary. Its about "WHEN". :D

I am glad you are making the first move to go listen. I'll stay awake to read your post about it and more so, when you decided they shall be in your possession. :music:

Cheers! :banana:

Jerome W 08-18-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat

Depends on the amp. With many SS designs, you get twice the power at the lower impedance, so a 100 Wpc SS amp at 8 ohms will deliver 200 Wpc at 4 ohms.

I was told that the power of Shindo amps is divided by 2 from 8 ohms to 4 ohms.

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194267)

I do not know. This isn't always necessarily true that it is 'exactly' halved.

-M

Jerome W 08-18-2011 05:45 PM

Matt,
The technical informations about Shindo products are pretty rare to say the least.

pitch perfect 08-18-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C220MC275 (Post 194294)
Matt,
The technical informations about Shindo products are pretty rare to say the least.

The design goal around the CCQ's is 70wpc into 8ohm and above. This is how he rates the amps. He is not designing them for use into speakers that ideally require solid state power, so rating them into 4ohm is not in his mindset, you have to understand. 86,87.. 88, 89db w/8Ω~ stable impedance and above, not a problem..

Sincerely,
Matt

Jerome W 08-18-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect

The design goal around the CCQ's is 70wpc into 8ohm and above. This is how he rates the amps. He is not designing them for use into speakers that ideally require solid state power, so rating them into 4ohm is not in his mindset, you have to understand. 86,87.. 88, 89db w/8Ω~ stable impedance and above, not a problem..

Sincerely,
Matt

Ok Matt,
This is very clear. Thanks a lot. I will forget Shindo's amps for my speakers. You won !
In an other thread, you were stating that "high power " ( if 70W can be called this way...) Shindo amps can drive almost any speaker on the market. I believed I missed the point about 8 ohms and above....