AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Marantz (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Marantz SA-10 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38841)

John49 03-15-2017 02:37 AM

Marantz SA-10

I have started a new thread away from the one titled New Reference to carry my limited findings from a short home-trial. Will write something up when I feel a little better, I promise. [emoji56]

rnrmf1971 03-15-2017 02:01 PM

Looking forward to it! Feel Better!

bart 03-15-2017 03:00 PM

John, seriously, you're not allowed to die before you've written your report! :nono:

John49 03-22-2017 03:11 AM

Marantz SA-10

As I posted to the Headphone Amplifiers group on Facebook, the new Marantz SA-10 would make a great headphone amp...

My health is poor, so sorry to all interested parties that I have not managed to report back on my time with this very interesting Player/DAC.

Will try later today to at least put something together [emoji445]

bart 03-22-2017 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 838071)
As I posted to the Headphone Amplifiers group on Facebook, the new Marantz SA-10 would make a great headphone amp...

John, for 7K, it would be a bit of an expensive headphone amp.
I do hope it's going to be more than that: a top source for a high end 2-channel system.

I hope you get better soon! :hug:

John49 08-23-2020 06:47 AM

Marantz SA-10

I never managed to do it, did I... And now we have SA-12 on the horizon and all the associated posts, opinions, arguments, agreements etc.

For me, I went for PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player and PS Audio DirectStream DAC after selling my SA-7S1 because I was seduced by MQA. Might re-buy a pre-loved SA-7S1 though, as my partner misses it!

Crumhorn 08-23-2020 10:01 PM

I took a brief look at the Marantz Japan website (very brief, as I don't read Japanese), but noticed that the "official" price of the SA-10 is 600,000 yen, but the price of the SA-12 is only 300,000 yen, 50,000 yen cheaper than the price of the SA-12SE, and like the 12SE only has single-ended outputs.

So the SA-12 does not appear to be the successor to the SA-10, or a member of the "Reference" line.

Given that it is probably too late to change my existing order for the SA-10, I feel relieved!

Dilettante 08-24-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 1012395)
I took a brief look at the Marantz Japan website (very brief, as I don't read Japanese), but noticed that the "official" price of the SA-10 is 600,000 yen, but the price of the SA-12 is only 300,00 yen, 50,000 yen cheaper than the price of the SA-12SE, and like the 12SE only has single-ended outputs.

So the SA-12 does not appear to be the successor to the SA-10, or a member of the "Reference" line.

Given that it is probably too late to change my existing order for the SA-10, I feel relieved!

I believed the SA 12 is part of the Reference series line perhaps the entry level in the Reference line. Cause the Marantz non Reference series line their CD players are usually : SA 600x, SA 700x & SA 800x. there are 4 digit numbers following the SA. (SA XXXX). Unless if they name them differently in Japan that we aren't aware of.

Crumhorn 08-24-2020 05:29 PM

I don't remotely consider myself an authority on Marantz, but I have never seen "levels" of any component in their Reference line. The whole point of that line is "the best we make." An "entry level" Reference product doesn't make sense - that is what the lesser lines are...

Also, like the SA-12, the PM-12 integrated amp is half the price of the PM-10, and single-ended only, unlike the PM-10.

So the xx-12 series sure don't look like Reference-level successors to the xx-10 series. But I grant you that the "SA-12" model # sure makes it sound like it is. Maybe they are planning to use completely new designations for the next generation of their Reference line. (I hope they are not simply eliminating it...)

rnrmf1971 08-24-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 1012460)
I don't remotely consider myself an authority on Marantz, but I have never seen "levels" of any component in their Reference line. The whole point of that line is "the best we make." An "entry level" Reference product doesn't make sense - that is what the lesser lines are...

Also, like the SA-12, the PM-12 integrated amp is half the price of the PM-10, and single-ended only, unlike the PM-10.

So the xx-12 series sure don't look like Reference-level successors to the xx-10 series. But I grant you that the "SA-12" model # sure makes it sound like it is. Maybe they are planning to use completely new designations for the next generation of their Reference line. (I hope they are not simply eliminating it...)

Previously, Marantz had a more extensive "reference" line with different models at different price points.
Here's a screen shot from the 2010 Marantz Reference brochure:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4ce6cf92_c.jpg

Crumhorn 08-24-2020 06:23 PM

Wow! I stand corrected! Thanks!

So if they've used "SA-12" for a lesser Reference model, I wonder what they'll call the replacement for the SA-10. Maybe they'll use a higher number?

Dilettante 08-25-2020 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 1012466)
Wow! I stand corrected! Thanks!

So if they've used "SA-12" for a lesser Reference model, I wonder what they'll call the replacement for the SA-10. Maybe they'll use a higher number?

That's what I was trying to say in my earlier post that the SA-12 is a lesser Reference series line but it is still part of their Reference series product eventhough the SA-12 is way cheaper than the SA-10. I'm pretty familiar with most Marantz products line. Their Reference series CD/SACD players usually start ar around $3k or $3500. And the SA-10, being the flagship model, is at $7k. Not sure what they are going to call the successor for the SA-10 but I think it will be a while until we can see the successor of the SA-10.

Marantz has ceased manufacturing CD players for their regular lines (non Reference series line aka lesser line) lately. With their regular line (lesser line) Marantz now only makes network audio players & DACs for their digital front end source components. Got a feeling that they will do the same with their Reference series line pretty soon as we all know that CD & SACD (silver discs in general) are being phased out and going away. Except when it comes to AV or movies there will be still blu-ray discs and 4K UHD discs available since they are the best source for movies (AV) compared to movie streamings. But when it comes to digital audio only or listening to digital music nowadays many audiophiles & non audiophiles have turned away from using CD and SACD discs altogether.

Many high end hifi audio manufacturers have stopped making CD/SACD players and mainly focus on building high quality digital music streamers, DACs & network audio players. Linn has ceased manufacturing CD players since 2007 and has since shifted its focus on making high end streamers/DACs. As of 2 yrs ago Naim has also ceased their high end CD player productions. Both Naim and Linn have been making high quality streamers/DACs since 2006/2007.

silversurfer6 08-25-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilettante (Post 1012493)
Marantz has ceased manufacturing CD players for their regular lines (non Reference series line aka lesser line) lately. With their regular line (lesser line) Marantz now only makes network audio players & DACs for their digital front end source components. Got a feeling that they will do the same with their Reference series line pretty soon as we all know that CD & SACD (silver discs in general) are being phased out and going away. Except when it comes to AV or movies there will be still blu-ray discs and 4K UHD discs available since they are the best source for movies (AV) compared to movie streamings. But when it comes to digital audio only or listening to digital music nowadays many audiophiles & non audiophiles have turned away from using CD and SACD discs altogether.

Many high end hifi audio manufacturers have stopped making CD/SACD players and mainly focus on building high quality digital music streamers, DACs & network audio players. Linn has ceased manufacturing CD players since 2007 and has since shifted its focus on making high end streamers/DACs. As of 2 yrs ago Naim has also ceased their high end CD player productions. Both Naim and Linn have been making high quality streamers/DACs since 2006/2007.

Marantz is still releasing cd players and no sign of stopping. CD5005 is current and they just released CD6007.

SA10 continues, SA12 just released.

Another reference model is also being released next week.

So 5 players in line up, 3 completely new.

Crumhorn 08-25-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversurfer6 (Post 1012505)
Marantz is still releasing cd players and no sign of stopping. CD5005 is current and they just released CD6007.

Do you know if the model they are releasing next week will be a replacement for the SA-10? (It's probably too late to change my SA-10 order, but I'll try if a new top-of-the-line is imminent...)

silversurfer6 08-25-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 1012507)
Do you know if the model they are releasing next week will be a replacement for the SA-10? (It's probably too late to change my SA-10 order, but I'll try if a new top-of-the-line is imminent...)

Yes but cannot provide more info. I can assure it is not a competitor of the SA-10 and you have made the correct purchase.

Crumhorn 08-25-2020 10:35 AM

Thanks! I'm very glad to hear that!

I just saw a glowing review of the new Luxman D-10X - it really had me going! Wish I could afford it... ($16,500 in the U.S.)

Dilettante 08-25-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversurfer6 (Post 1012505)

You are right. Apparently Marantz discontinued the SA800x model CD/SACD players in their regular line (non Reference series line) but they are still releasing entry level CD500x & CD600x models that play only CD but not SACD. The SA800x CD/SACD player model has been ceased.
Thanks for the info. I just looked them up on the US Marantz website.

John49 08-26-2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 1012319)
I never managed to do it, did I... And now we have SA-12 on the horizon and all the associated posts, opinions, arguments, agreements etc.

For me, I went for PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player and PS Audio DirectStream DAC after selling my SA-7S1 because I was seduced by MQA. Might re-buy a pre-loved SA-7S1 though, as my partner misses it!

Bought a pre-loved SA-7S1...

Art Vandelay 08-26-2020 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John49 (Post 1012589)
Bought a pre-loved SA-7S1...

Congrats.

I just bought a SA7-S1 today too, and also bought the matching SC-7S2 preamp. Both in mint condition.

silversurfer6 08-26-2020 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilettante (Post 1012541)
You are right. Apparently Marantz discontinued the SA800x model CD/SACD players in their regular line (non Reference series line) but they are still releasing entry level CD500x & CD600x models that play only CD but not SACD. The SA800x CD/SACD player model has been ceased.
Thanks for the info. I just looked them up on the US Marantz website.

Additionally the have the ND8600 which is a great double machine (cd and streamer).

So a total of 6 cd players.

GSOphile 08-26-2020 07:51 AM

It's not an accident that the center of the CD/SACD player universe is Japan, where the physical media is still very popular.

anoutsos 02-24-2021 05:14 PM

Can someone comment on the differences, if any, between SA-10’s reproduction via the disc player and the asynchronous USB connected to a computer? I hear very nice things about the player and I would like to have a SA-10/PM-10 pair one day, but I’m worried that without an extensive SACD collection I would be using the less optimised part of a very expensive component. Also, does the SA-10 support playback of SACD images burnt on DVD-R? Thanks.

Masterlu 02-24-2021 06:18 PM

anoutsos... Welcome to AA! :wave:

rnrmf1971 02-24-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anoutsos (Post 1033372)
Can someone comment on the differences, if any, between SA-10’s reproduction via the disc player and the asynchronous USB connected to a computer? I hear very nice things about the player and I would like to have a SA-10/PM-10 pair one day, but I’m worried that without an extensive SACD collection I would be using the less optimised part of a very expensive component. Also, does the SA-10 support playback of SACD images burnt on DVD-R? Thanks.

It's the best CD player I've owned for compact discs. It doesn't have the smoothed over detail of DSD conversion that my Lumin streamer has or Esoteric K-01X had. I haven't used the usb input but the coaxial and optical inputs are on par with disc playback and I read at least one review (either of a streamer or perhaps an SA-10 review) that utilized the usb input that described playback as without faults.

It's essential to try the filters/noise shaping/dither settings once you get time on the player. I have my favorites and you might find settings that better suit your taste instead of the default options.

anoutsos 02-25-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1033377)
anoutsos... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Thank you, @Masterlu! :welcome3:

anoutsos 02-25-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 1033413)
It's the best CD player I've owned for compact discs. It doesn't have the smoothed over detail of DSD conversion that my Lumin streamer has or Esoteric K-01X had. I haven't used the usb input but the coaxial and optical inputs are on par with disc playback and I read at least one review (either of a streamer or perhaps an SA-10 review) that utilized the usb input that described playback as without faults.

It's essential to try the filters/noise shaping/dither settings once you get time on the player. I have my favorites and you might find settings that better suit your taste instead of the default options.

That's great! Thanks. I am seriously considering it for a future system, but I think room treatments are a priority. And do you find that you use the disc tray much, given that you can digitise all your collection and just use your streamer? This is the one thing that I'm in two minds about – i.e. paying for functionality I will rarely use. Although, I must say having the option to just pop in a cd/sacd is quite convenient sometimes.

rnrmf1971 02-25-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anoutsos (Post 1033454)
That's great! Thanks. I am seriously considering it for a future system, but I think room treatments are a priority. And do you find that you use the disc tray much, given that you can digitise all your collection and just use your streamer? This is the one thing that I'm in two minds about – i.e. paying for functionality I will rarely use. Although, I must say having the option to just pop in a cd/sacd is quite convenient sometimes.

I've had a problem buying compact discs that's continued for 35 years so I spin them, often!
I have most of them burned, too, but I still play them as I get them and don't add to the digitized library regularly.
For the last month or two I've mostly played discs, actually. Otherwise it might be 60/40 in favor of streaming.