AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Bryston bdp-3 Sweet Streamer! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49504)

blacsno 02-13-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 1032327)
Can you please explain what you mean here? Do you think the BDP-3 is colored?

I have the Naim nd5 x2 and the Bryston BDP-3. When going back and forth between the units in listening to the same song. They aren't same in musical presentations. I must say........ this isn't a case of "a" is better than "b" or in any combination. The Bryston BDP-3 is bright and open vs warm and open. Neither are bad at all, they both kick the living crap out of my prior PC setup with a RME Hammerfall 9632 audio card! If Naim tech support hadn't been a total waste, I've wouldn't looked into the Bryston BDP-3 as a replacement. Believe me I don't have buyers remorse on either unit!!! I'm still going to pester Naim to fix their OPINION on upnp implementation!!!

gbaby 02-13-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacsno (Post 1032336)
I have the Naim nd5 x2 and the Bryston BDP-3. When going back and forth between the units in listening to the same song. They aren't same in musical presentations. I must say........ this isn't a case of "a" is better than "b" or in any combination. The Bryston BDP-3 is bright and open vs warm and open. Neither are bad at all, they both kick the living crap out of my prior PC setup with a RME Hammerfall 9632 audio card! If Naim tech support hadn't been a total waste, I've wouldn't looked into the Bryston BDP-3 as a replacement. Believe me I don't have buyers remorse on either unit!!! I'm still going to pester Naim to fix their OPINION on upnp implementation!!!

What are you using for a D/A converter? Are you using AES, optical or coaxial?

blacsno 02-13-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbaby (Post 1032340)
What are you using for a D/A converter? Are you using AES, optical or coaxial?

DAC: McIntosh MDA1000 via coaxial

hdvidguy 02-13-2021 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacsno (Post 1032342)
DAC: McIntosh MDA1000 via coaxial

I'm using Madrigal AES from my BDP-2 to my SP3. I hear AES is still the best digital interconnect. Never tried USB.

Have you tried AES to your MDA1000?

blacsno 02-13-2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1032349)
I'm using Madrigal AES from my BDP-2 to my SP3. I hear AES is still the best digital interconnect. Never tried USB.

Have you tried AES to your MDA1000?

Yes! The Naim doesn't have AES connector only coaxial. But on the Bryston I just hooked both AES and coaxial and switch back and forth on the MDA1000 playing a song. I repeat..... On this system they had the same sound. Side note it could be the design of the MDA1000?:scratch2: I found the same sounding identical results using a RME Hammerfall pci audio card. Maybe if I had D1100 I might get different results? Either way I'm not worrying about it!

AVfile 02-15-2021 01:46 PM

Bryston bdp-3 Sweet Streamer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbaby (Post 1032235)
Well, just ask yourself which is more important, a slick interface or sound quality. I read where either you or someone else had an Aurender, but traded it for the BDP-3. Remember, with the BDP-3, you have a fully functional interface and pristine sound quality. The sound quality and ease of use of the interface is the most important priority. A "slick" interface will increase the cost of this product when, in fact, the interface is unimportant when one considers the sound quality.

I think “slick interface” is oversimplifying the issue. For starters we need an interface that doesn’t require opening a computer with large screen to browse my collection in the tiny bottom right corner of a web page that keeps losing its place while fighting multiple scroll bars.

Once you are used to a native app like Tidal or Spotify (regardless if you are a desktop or mobile user) the Bryston way seems very cumbersome. There are programming interfaces like Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect that they should look into. This is what the leading competitors use.

blacsno 02-15-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVfile (Post 1032551)
I think “slick” is the wrong word. I just want an interface that has the functionality we are used to on native apps, that don’t require opening a 15” laptop with full HD screen to browse my collection in the tiny bottom right corner of a web page that keeps losing its place while fighting multiple scroll bars. Nothing fancy!

I think you misread my last post. Those apps that I suggested are for iPad/iPhone/iPad mini devices or Android tablets/phones devices. No laptop needed to use!

gbaby 02-15-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1032349)
I'm using Madrigal AES from my BDP-2 to my SP3. Never tried USB.

You may want to have both AES and USB connected to the SP3. I have it connected both ways and it sounds good but it depends on the composition. It can sound a little dry after sustained listening, but I think you owe it to yourself to have it as a listening option. Do not get a cheap cable as the sonic difference is shocking.

AVfile 02-15-2021 09:02 PM

Bryston bdp-3 Sweet Streamer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacsno (Post 1032594)
I think you misread my last post. Those apps that I suggested are for iPad/iPhone/iPad mini devices or Android tablets/phones devices. No laptop needed to use!

I was referring to the problems with a browser based interface like MM. I use Rigelian too. These apps definitely provide a neat, simplified alternative to MM. Unfortunately they don’t integrate with the streaming services like Tidal. So I just wanted to clarify for [mention]gbaby [/mention] that the problems with MM are beyond aesthetics, and you’re right that some of these problems are overcome by simple 3rd party apps.

However the “artist view” in MM has great potential. Unfortunately I didn’t even know it existed until recently when I saw a YouTube demo. I don’t think I would have understood it without the demo either. The other problem is it keeps dropping out of my Tidal account and have to log in every time I turn on the BDP!

hdvidguy 02-16-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbaby (Post 1032595)
You may want to have both AES and USB connected to the SP3. I have it connected both ways and it sounds good but it depends on the composition. It can sound a little dry after sustained listening, but I think you owe it to yourself to have it as a listening option. Do not get a cheap cable as the sonic difference is shocking.

Can you PM me on a suggested USB cable?