AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DAC 2 vs MCD12000? Favorite USB-connected streamer (For Roon) for use with either? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51493)

DaftDoki 08-22-2022 11:07 PM

DAC 2 vs MCD12000? Favorite USB-connected streamer (For Roon) for use with either?

Hey all,

I'm considering a C53 and maybe a MCD12000, and I'm curious to hear folks experience with both. Purely as a DAC, how do you perceive the performance difference between the two? How do you think they compare to other companies offerings?

I'm also a heavy Roon user, and plan to use the USB in on either for the main Roon connection and was wondering what everyone's favorite endpoint is to use with them and what your experience has been like. I've got a collection of the usual high-res and CD quality PCM and also a pile of DSD ripped from my SACD collection.

I also think the ability to choose between solid state and tube outputs could be a nice option to have.

Thanks!

JBT 08-23-2022 11:27 AM

I don't think anyone on the forum has a MCD 1200 yet.

gsabath 08-23-2022 08:27 PM

I can only comment on endpoints. Been very happy with Raspberry PI running Ropieee. Very stable and is always identified by the DA1 unit. Never a disconnect.

DaftDoki 08-23-2022 11:23 PM

I'm running a ropiee right now too, and it's pretty nice. I've got the RPI screen attached and it makes a great now playing display.

I don't really need anything other than Roon, but it would be nice to have a device that can do some other things.

-D

Puma Cat 08-24-2022 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaftDoki (Post 1065513)
I'm also a heavy Roon user, and plan to use the USB in on either for the main Roon connection and was wondering what everyone's favorite endpoint is to use with them...

Lumin X-1 or P-1...

dkorbal 08-24-2022 09:29 AM

Currently.... Sonore OpticalRendu w/power supply. Connected to DA2 in c2700.

Botill 08-24-2022 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaftDoki (Post 1065513)
Hey all,

I'm considering a C53 and maybe a MCD12000, and I'm curious to hear folks experience with both. Purely as a DAC, how do you perceive the performance difference between the two? How do you think they compare to other companies offerings?

I'm also a heavy Roon user, and plan to use the USB in on either for the main Roon connection and was wondering what everyone's favorite endpoint is to use with them and what your experience has been like. I've got a collection of the usual high-res and CD quality PCM and also a pile of DSD ripped from my SACD collection.

I also think the ability to choose between solid state and tube outputs could be a nice option to have.

Thanks!

I have owned an MCD12000 for a few weeks. Pretty happy with the unit and sound but mine is not flawless. There are noises at startup when playing Roon through the USB input. Performs perfectly once the 1-2 minute sequence of noise runs it's course. Same Roon source using AES input performs perfectly and other sources using USB input performs perfectly. Maybe this is a something Roon and McIntosh need to fine tune. Hoping it might be resolved with an update at some point. Might want to consider this or test well if you do decide on purchasing one and plan to use Roon through USB.

W9TR 08-24-2022 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Botill (Post 1065566)
I have owned an MCD12000 for a few weeks. Pretty happy with the unit and sound but mine is not flawless. There are noises at startup when playing Roon through the USB input. Performs perfectly once the 1-2 minute sequence of noise runs it's course. Same Roon source using AES input performs perfectly and other sources using USB input performs perfectly. Maybe this is a something Roon and McIntosh need to fine tune. Hoping it might be resolved with an update at some point. Might want to consider this or test well if you do decide on purchasing one and plan to use Roon through USB.

Botilll - what is your source? When a $12,000 McIntosh player has issues I have to wonder what is feeding it? A $100 endpoint (RPi4+ROPIEEE) seems to work fine. I’m not defending McIntosh - they have a history of poor USB implementations and I would like to think they have it figured out by now. This gives me pause….

Whatever it is you need to call McIntosh and your streamer supplier and let them sort it out. It’s just unacceptable whatever gear is causing the issue.

JBT 08-24-2022 09:49 PM

It's a Roon thing that Mcintosh and Roon still haven't worked out. My Aurender N10 streamer is hooked up via USB to my D1100 and it's fantastic. About 5 years ago on Computer Audiophile the Roon Rep posted he knew the D1100 had problems with USB and Roon and they were working on it. JRiver works fine, Conductor works fine. This issue needs to be resolved. Why is it only Roon?

Botill 08-24-2022 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1065581)
Botilll - what is your source? When a $12,000 McIntosh player has issues I have to wonder what is feeding it? A $100 endpoint (RPi4+ROPIEEE) seems to work fine. I’m not defending McIntosh - they have a history of poor USB implementations and I would like to think they have it figured out by now. This gives me pause….

Whatever it is you need to call McIntosh and your streamer supplier and let them sort it out. It’s just unacceptable whatever gear is causing the issue.

Roon Nucleus connected directly and also HiFi Rose used as a Roon endpoint have produced the same result for me. Roon through the MCD’s usb input is the common denominator it seems. No issues with either source unit feeding my D1100 via usb or when feeding the MCD12000 with AES connection from the Rose. Also no issue using other services/sources other than Roon through usb input. McIntosh is aware of my issue, has been responsive and I’m sure they’re working to duplicate and solve.

Providing my experience to the OP since he shows interest in using Roon via USB with the new MCD.