AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Events & Demos (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   RMAF 2020 Gaylord Rockies Convention Center (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48010)

audioguy3107 05-01-2020 10:21 AM

RMAF 2020 Gaylord Rockies Convention Center

Well, here's to hope. I guess I'll start the official 2020 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest thread here since we're about six months away. I suppose I'll address the elephant in the room, we don't know for sure this is going to happen yet, but as of right now, I believe it would be silly to cancel a show like this this far ahead. 6 months is an eternity and a lot could happen between now and then, so if it does eventually get cancelled, I guess we'll just ignore the thread!! :thumbsup:

https://www.colorado.com/sites/defau...?itok=Fm3Efirw

My personal opinion here is that unless the industry is willing to accept the death of the high end audio show, the show must go on. Unless the coronavirus disappears into history (which can happen, viruses come and go with no explanation), trade shows are either going to die or keep going with accepted risks. Anyway, enough of that.

What does the A.A. community think right now about the possibilities? In my opinion, let's say the show happens. I think the RMAF organizers have a real opportunity here. Munich and Axpona are both cancelled, this offers RMAF a real golden opportunity here, especially with the size and quality of the venue in Denver. They could promote this years' event as THE premier audio show in the world. They have the room to provide tons of exhibitors, live entertainment and seminars. Audiophiles and families would most likely be ready to go to something like this especially with shows being absent since the beginning of the year. If manufacturers have the means, this would be their primary opportunity of the year to make a splash and get business going. Anyway, what do you guys think? Let's assume the Covid situation doesn't get any worse but is kind of in a status quo situation. Will you attend and do you think the high end industry will embrace the opportunity?

- Buck

Antonmb 05-01-2020 11:58 AM

RMAF 2020 Gaylord Rockies Convention Center

I still have rooms booked, but if the show happens I’ll make a final decision based on what’s happening at the time.

I think you’re right that it would be a great opportunity for the show to stake a claim to being the premiere event, in North America anyway, but unless the rate of infection has dropped significantly and the rate of testing has increased, I think people will still be nervous enough so attendance could be disastrously low. A significant portion of attendees in the past have been older men (me included) who are more at risk and may be more reluctant if the circumstances around Covid-19 haven’t significantly improved. The other consideration is that, while attendees can wait until the last minute to make a decision, the show and exhibitors have to start spending money much sooner than we do, so they’ll have to make a decision much sooner as well.

Puma Cat 05-01-2020 12:04 PM

Never gonna happen.

salamander 05-01-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1003581)
Never gonna happen.

+1

PHC1 05-01-2020 12:30 PM

I’d settle for a “virtual tour” :D

2fastdriving 05-01-2020 01:01 PM

If it doesn't happen, we can turn this into a "what gear did you buy with your RMAF booking refund" thread!

SCAudiophile 05-01-2020 06:47 PM

Great commentary Buck!

Kal Rubinson 05-01-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 1003569)

What a messy, unappetizing place!

audioguy3107 05-01-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 1003620)

Kal - Ha! I really loved it last year, sure it was a bit pricey but I admit I'm a sucker for nice resorts. The outdoor pool area was great, food was good. I really hope they can pull this off, it would be a shame for the hobby to go a whole year with no trade shows. I'm an optimistic guy and am hoping for the best. If I was a betting man, I'd have to agree with Stephen, I believe they would cancel out of caution but we still have many months to go. Tony brings up a good point....if the average show go-er is in the higher risk category, then even if it goes on you have to wonder about attendance.

- Buck

Puma Cat 05-01-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 1003620)

It's unappetizing because the Photoshop compositing in this image looks like it was done by a 7 year-old.