AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Klipsch Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Cornwall III (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15129)

gtubes 07-19-2012 08:50 PM

Cornwall III

I have been planning to downsize and replace my mc602 for some time now. After a ton of research on lower powered tube monoblocks and class A integrated amps, I have decided Klipsch Cornwall IIIs are the way to go.

I am stuck on which amp to use...originally it was a pair of mc275s. I understand a single mc275 will be more than enough power for the Cornwalls in an average sized room but the monoblock route appeals to me.

Enter the Luxman class A, AX series, 550 or 590. Take budget out of the equation and tell me what you would do with the Cornwall IIIs:

a) a single mc275
b) two mc275s in mono
c) Luxman class A integrated

joeinid 07-19-2012 09:09 PM

I have Cornwall III's and love them. I've used everything from 8 wpc. tube amps to MC601's, Burmester 911mk3 and everything sounded great. I personally would have no problem with and would love the Class A Luxman integrated. The Cornwall III's are 105 dB efficient, so I think the solid state amp will be quieter and give you just as much joy in a smaller package.

Masterlu 07-19-2012 09:59 PM

No more MC602... :eek:

Will this divorce cause a name change? :D

JSCC 07-19-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 338902)

Hi MC602,

Luxman is good. My suggestion is you can try the SQ38U tube integrated. 30 watts is a LOT of power for the Cornwalls! Tube power too. Sweet.

I was then considering a whole works on the Luxman latest releases to match, the SQ38U Integrated, D38U CD player (tube too, somehow a hybrid of sorts) and a matching nice looking Turntable, a first after so many years, the PD171.

I am trying to spend your money! :D

You should change your name to LUX by then. Hmm, come to think of it, I should change mine too! :scratch2:

Cheers!

gtubes 07-19-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid (Post 338882)
I have Cornwall III's and love them. I've used everything from 8 wpc. tube amps to MC601's, Burmester 911mk3 and everything sounded great. I personally would have no problem with and would love the Class A Luxman integrated. The Cornwall III's are 105 dB efficient, so I think the solid state amp will be quieter and give you just as much joy in a smaller package.

What's interesting Joe is that your experience with the Cornwalls did contribute in a way to my decision. I agree the SS choice remains a compact solution but are you suggesting the tube route (mc275), might yield a noisier background with a 105db rating?

gtubes 07-19-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSCC (Post 338908)
Hi MC602,

Luxman is good. My suggestion is you can try the SQ38U tube integrated. 30 watts is a LOT of power for the Cornwalls! Tube power too. Sweet.

I was then considering a whole works on the Luxman latest releases to match, the SQ38U Integrated, D38U CD player (tube too, somehow a hybrid of sorts) and a matching nice looking Turntable, a first after so many years, the PD171.

I am trying to spend your money! :D

You should change your name to LUX by then. Hmm, come to think of it, I should change mine too! :scratch2:

Cheers!

Jerry, great recommendation. The heat generated from the class A is a bit of a concern, the SQ38U is a nice marriage between the tubes of a mc275 and the integrated one box 590AX solution minus the heat. I worry about the control of a 15" driver with the EL84 tube set though. Joe's support of the SS amp section solves that concern, but I do like the overall concept of a tubed integrated!

joeinid 07-19-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc602 (Post 338944)
What's interesting Joe is that your experience with the Cornwalls did contribute in a way to my decision. I agree the SS choice remains a compact solution but are you suggesting the tube route (mc275), might yield a noisier background with a 105db rating?

Wow! I appreciate the vote of confidence. I still love my Cornwall III's. I was getting the feeling from some that these are not "audiophile" quality speakers. I have to be honest, these speakers have provided the most outright enjoyment of any speaker I've owned and I should have/could have stopped right there (and saved quite a bit of money). The Cornwall III's with my stereo Burmester 911mk3 was an absolute joy to listen to :music: - whether at low volume or ear splitting, jump around dancing get into the music loud.

Maybe sightlier noisier because of tube rush. But zero maintenance with the solid state and the Luxman will be a touch on the warm side (which I love). If you are focusing in on tubes, the MC275 is a no brainer good choice (but I confess I have not heard one). But for me, I can't stand any system hiss. I mean none. Some people don't mind, but system hiss drills a hole in my head and it bothers me. I guess I am just more sensitive to it.

gtubes 07-19-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 338902)

:scratch2: hate to let it go but, maybe lol

gtubes 07-19-2012 11:50 PM

Joe, you are right. System noise of any kind especially a hiss is annoying. Growing up with a Luxman receiver in the house, I am very familiar with the brand. The Klipsch pursuit grew from recently using the very same Advent speakers from that time. The nostalgia, the sound and overall synergy has been very satisfying, and fun.

two dot 07-20-2012 12:14 AM

I went from a VERY high quality tube set up and AM VERY happy with the Luxman 590....

I only wish that it were driving a pair of Cornwalls (which I have owned AND loved)