AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Anybody have the CLX art? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=22411)

Mamba24 08-06-2013 09:38 PM

Anybody have the CLX art?

I just purchased a pair of CLX art today along with a Mcintosh C1000 pre amp and MCD1100 CD/SACD player. Does anyone have these speakers? If so, what do you think? They were incredible when I demoed them.

jrsystems 08-06-2013 11:54 PM

Congratulation! They are very special speakers. I'm going on two years with them. First, be prepared for a rather lengthy break-in period. Out of the box, mine were pretty harsh. Took a good few weeks to settle in.

I have demoed many of the finest speakers made and some of the best sounds I've ever heard are in my listening room. The transparency, the accuracy, rivals the very best. That being said, there are some compromises. They are brutally unforgiving to the source material, good material is great and great material can boggle the mind. However, poor recordings can be almost unbearable. I often listen to very random playlists. One track is breathtakingly clear with a huge stage, then the next track sounds like a clock radio set between the two speakers. So be prepared for that - if you want to listen to MP3s, stick to your iPod and some cheap buds!

The other big issue is the bass, they just don't go very deep. They play loud and have great dynamic range, it just doesn't get ground shaking. This also manifests itself with a slight thinness to the sound. Subs are a popular solution, but tough to match. I have had no luck matching up my single JL f113. However, I recently moved an old ML Depth into the system and that small, single sub actually mates pretty well. Still not shaking the room, but more fullness in the bass and less thinness overall. I will continue to tweak this (obviously, tweaking is involuntary!)

So, they really are special beasts. Anything that comes close is way more expensive. Enjoy, please feel free to post or PM questions and please post your experiences.

asindc 08-07-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsystems (Post 519308)
Congratulation! They are very special speakers. I'm going on two years with them. First, be prepared for a rather lengthy break-in period. Out of the box, mine were pretty harsh. Took a good few weeks to settle in.

I have demoed many of the finest speakers made and some of the best sounds I've ever heard are in my listening room. The transparency, the accuracy, rivals the very best. That being said, there are some compromises. They are brutally unforgiving to the source material, good material is great and great material can boggle the mind. However, poor recordings can be almost unbearable. I often listen to very random playlists. One track is breathtakingly clear with a huge stage, then the next track sounds like a clock radio set between the two speakers. So be prepared for that - if you want to listen to MP3s, stick to your iPod and some cheap buds!

The other big issue is the bass, they just don't go very deep. They play loud and have great dynamic range, it just doesn't get ground shaking. This also manifests itself with a slight thinness to the sound. Subs are a popular solution, but tough to match. I have had no luck matching up my single JL f113. However, I recently moved an old ML Depth into the system and that small, single sub actually mates pretty well. Still not shaking the room, but more fullness in the bass and less thinness overall. I will continue to tweak this (obviously, tweaking is involuntary!)

So, they really are special beasts. Anything that comes close is way more expensive. Enjoy, please feel free to post or PM questions and please post your experiences.

JR,

If you haven't thought about buying a second Depth I recommend doing so, along with buying the CLX crossovers for both. Made all the difference in my friend's system. His soundstage is seamless now.

Mamba24 08-07-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asindc (Post 519379)

JR,

If you haven't thought about buying a second Depth I recommend doing so, along with buying the CLX crossovers for both. Made all the difference in my friend's system. His soundstage is seamless now.

I ordered 2 Descent i's to go along with the CLX's. I have a couple of Descent i subs right now for my HT. They are awesome subwoofers.

Harlequin 08-07-2013 04:29 PM

Good evening .

I can but echo JR's comments regarding the CLX's , for my part I am running CLX Aniversary's in concert with single Descenti sporting the CLX crossover card.

I had to skip a good half of my Redbook material upon acquisition.
The huge presentation also tends to magnify tape hiss and less than pristeen vinyl grunge.

However when all the planets align something truly exceptional may ensue .

Jasper.

Mamba24 08-07-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsystems (Post 519308)

Thanks JR, will do.

jrsystems 08-07-2013 11:25 PM

Would those who have experienced them say that the Descent's with the CLX cards are basically plug and play? Do they require minimal set up and tweaking?

asindc 08-08-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asindc (Post 519379)
JR,

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsystems (Post 519553)
Would those who have experienced them say that the Descent's with the CLX cards are basically plug and play? Do they require minimal set up and tweaking?

I asked my friend this question on your behalf and he said "Yes. Very easy."

Mamba24 08-10-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asindc (Post 519647)

I asked my friend this question on your behalf and he said "Yes. Very easy."

I've heard also that it's pretty easy.

jrsystems 08-11-2013 08:13 AM

Hmmm...