AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SACD Player With Hi Res Coax SPDIF Output (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47992)

LarsT 04-26-2020 03:33 PM

SACD Player With Hi Res Coax SPDIF Output

I will be experimenting with an Aurender A30. The plan is to use the preamplifier section straight into my amps. This will preclude me from playing SACD since the A30 does not have analog inputs, and my current SACD player does not have hi res output through Coax.

I am wondering what players allow for a hi res signal to pass via coax. I know the Directstream Memory Player has the feature, so I may look for a used one. Are there others?

And, yes, I do occasionally spin discs since I really enjoy the sound more than a ripped version.

Thanks

TommyC 04-26-2020 03:52 PM

Spdif cannot output DSD (from SACD). It is converted to 16bit / 44.1khz due to copyright reason.

The only players that can output DSD (from SACD) via Spdif are the OPPO 103 / 203 with a special Audiopraise Vanity card.

PS Audio Directstream Memory Player can only output DSD (via spdif) into its own DAC, not to other DACs.

Other companies have similar restrictions. DSD output (via spdif ) only to its own DAC.

LarsT 04-26-2020 04:13 PM

From the Memory Player Manual:

In non-PS Audio connected DACs, choosing an SACD later will provide a down sampled PCM version at DMP’s outputs. This down sampled PCM version, output at 88.2kHz/24 bit,is generally superior to the RedBook CD layer.

I only know this to be true because I previously owned a DMP and ran it into a non-PS DAC for a while.

TommyC 04-26-2020 04:41 PM

Interesting. SACD players that I owned cannot output SACD higher than 16bit/44.1 khz on the DSD layer. Perhaps I had the settings wrong?

You're right, according to the PS Audio manual, SACD will be downconverted to 24bit/88.2khz for output. But cannot do DSD unless using a modified OPPO.

W9TR 04-26-2020 04:43 PM

Sony locked down the digital output of the SACD specification to prevent digital copying of the DSD data stream directly.

This is true of any SACD player made by any manufacturer. So you won’t find an SACD player with an optical or coax output that is DSD.

Many SACD players have a PCM output which is sampled from the DSD data stream. The performance of this output is player dependent.

The OppO players mentioned earlier in this thread have a bug (feature ?) that allows access to the DSD data via a bit of bit wrangling.

audio bill 04-26-2020 04:51 PM

The Bryston BDA-3 DAC is able to convert the true DSD signal (not down converted) from SACD playback when connected via HDMI from an appropriate disc player with HDMI output and SACD support. You could check with a Bryston dealer to see which specific players are compatible with such a connection.

Weirdcuba 04-26-2020 05:01 PM

My direct stream memory player does very well, but not DSD, with my lampizator. The combo of a DS memory player and the PSA dac gets every last ounce out of an SACD - truly outstanding,

Kal Rubinson 04-26-2020 05:51 PM

The only way that I know of to do this is to either (1) rip the DSD to DSF files and play those back via JRiver, Roon, Audirvana, etc. or (2) get a D-BOB to take the HDMI feed from a player and output DoP* over coax to your DAC/player.

D-BOB review in May Stereophile.

*DoP = DSD Over PCM.

doggiehowser 04-26-2020 07:49 PM

My EMM Labs and Playback SACD players also sent out 24/88.2 on SPDIF

Kal Rubinson 04-26-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 1003140)
My EMM Labs and Playback SACD players also sent out 24/88.2 on SPDIF

Right. But not DSF.