AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Harbeth Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Confused regarding Harbeth speakers and sensitivity (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47354)

urbanluthier 01-09-2020 10:50 AM

pjetrof 01-09-2020 04:08 PM

I have Harbeth 30.2 with Accuphase e650. The 30 watt with Harbeth more than enough!
Before this I had nuvista 600 with focal Sopra 2 more watts with higher efficiency speakers I could not reach same spl level as with Harbeth. Don’t know why, can’t be bothered neither. But the 30 watt class a is more than enough for my ears! Very happy music lover again!

GreginNH1 01-10-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanluthier (Post 991821)
Harbeths are easy to drive. The designer Alan Shaw recommends low distortion amps from 25-150w for the M30, C7s and SHL5+. The larger M40s can take a lot more power 500w+

I use a Bryston 3B3 with my SHL5+ which provides more headroom than I'll ever need

Agreed regarding your statement the 40s. More power certainly helped in my case.

ATC2 05-26-2020 09:53 PM

Audiofound, what are your impressions on your system? You didn’t come back with an update. If your like me you may still be moving your speakers around unless you dialed them in already. Honestly it took me a a couple of months. Hope your enjoying it...

orosie 01-13-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 990613)
Thank you, Tom. This was very helpful and informative. :thumbsup:

In the case of the SHL 5+, as this is a 3-way speaker with a dedicated midrange driver and a separate woofer, wouldn't the Doppler distortion be less of a problem or moot?

Cheers,
Stephen

Sorry for reviving an old post, but the SHL5+ does not have a dedicated midrange or separate woofer. It has a super tweeter, tweeter, and 8 inch mid/woofer that handles both midrange and bass. Am I missing something?

-Scott

Charles 01-16-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 990584)
No, they are easy to drive. No worries.

Yes. The Harbeth line of speakers have been in continual research and development for over 40 years by Alan Shaw, regarded as one of the best loudspeaker designers in the world. I would put Alan on the same level as Andrew Jones.

Harbeth don't excel in all areas of high-fi loudspeaker tech specs and "audiophile-geekery" based numbers, nor do they need to be made from X-material, concrete, or aluminum. They are manufactured and voiced like a fine classical music instrument, think of a Guarnerius violin. Each pair is also individually voiced by and matched by hand. Harbeth keeps meticulous records on each pair, and if they ever need to be repaired or refurbished, they can be return to their original specification of performance.

But...they play music better than most any other speaker I can think of.

So...just get 'em, pair 'em with your favorite amp, and call it a day. Sit back and bask in beautiful, natural, and engaging music.

You'll be able to live with these speakers for the rest of your life.

Stephen, you make some excellent points. Obviously, the Harbeths aren't going to do 20 Hz notes and will have some dynamic limitations. But your observation that they are tuned like a fine musical instrument as opposed to wringing out every bit of resonance is valid. It's a different and cost effective approach. I'm sure your system sounds amazing.:yes:

Best

Charles