AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   ZYX R100 H/zn HOMC (.48mV) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50476)

slovell1 11-02-2021 08:04 PM

ZYX R100 H/zn HOMC (.48mV)

Would this cart be a good match with my VPI Scout/JMW9? I've never heard a ZYX cart but I've read a few reviews about them. I've been offered this one at a really good price. I'm concerned about the light weight (5 grams) and the compliance numbers (15 X 10-6 cm/dyne horizontal and 12 X 10-6 cm/dyne vertical) being a mismatch for the JMW9. Anyone have any experience with this cartridge they could pass on to me? I presently have an Audio Technica ART9 on the Scout which I'm happy with. I'm considering this ZYX just to try something different for a change. This is my first post here and any info will be appreciated.
Regards,
Sam

Masterlu 11-02-2021 08:06 PM

Sam… Welcome to AA! :wave:

slovell1 11-02-2021 08:13 PM

Hi Ivan,
Thanks for the welcome. I'll get around to listing my details in a day or two. What can I say, I'm old and lazy.

slovell1 11-03-2021 06:37 PM

Still undecided about this cart. From what I've been able to learn about it, I'll have to add weight to it and it may be no better than my ART9. I'm trying to decide if I want to try the ZYX or maybe an Ortofon Cadenza Blue.

Formerly YB-2 11-03-2021 10:06 PM

Can't go wrong with a Cadenza. Is the best cart in my stable and worked great on my JMW9Sig.

slovell1 11-04-2021 01:37 AM

Well, I'm going to try the ZYX. The seller ended up making me an offer I couldn't turn down. Now where did I put my VPI 3 gram headshell weight? Gotta be around here somewhere. lol
If I don't like it I'll sell it along and go for the Cadenza or keep the ZYX and get the Cadenza anyway.

Formerly YB-2 11-04-2021 07:07 AM

Try it without the weight, as well. You may find there is no difference or you like it better than with the weight.

slovell1 11-04-2021 01:55 PM

I'm concerned that I won't have enough adjustment left on the arm to balance the ZYX without the added weight. I've only got around 1/4" left right now with the ART9 on there and it weighs 8.5 grams. The ZYX weighs 5 grams. I know it'll work with the weight but I may not have the adjustment to use it without it. I'll try it both ways when I mount it and see.
Regards,
Sam

slovell1 11-11-2021 01:39 AM

Well, I got it this morning and sent it back for a refund. The cantilever was off center and skewed to the right. I could probably have gotten it aligned but the seller said it was mint and it was clearly not. It looked like it had been used either with the anti-skate way out of whack or it had been lowered and hit the edge of the record. The seller was decent about it, asked me for photos, then immediately confirmed the refund and sent me a return label. I think I'm going to get a new Ortofon Cadenza Blue when the refund is processed and be done with it.