AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   BNC connector busted on my BDP-3, now what?.. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50407)

Parabellum 10-15-2021 05:05 PM

BNC connector busted on my BDP-3, now what?..

1 Attachment(s)
Hey there,

In my quest to find the perfect digital cable for my BDP-3/BDA-3 combo, I purchased a Kimber Kable Select KS2020 BNC/BNC. I was excited when I received it and was quick to have it hooked on that combo... But, no sound. The BDA-3 was not receiving any signal. Nothing. I first thought that the cable was shot but upon closer inspection, it seems the BNC connector of my BDP-3 surely is.

I purchased this unit as a demo from an authorized dealer with full warranty. So, that means that some other people tried this unit. But at some point there was an idiot who busted the connector by, what I believe, trying to insert a "RCA" S/PDIF cable......... Now the tiny connector of the BNC output is completely flared like those loony tunes canons. See picture.

I obviously know the difference between a BNC and RCA connector, so I didn't do any of this. Who would be responsible in this case, is it covered by the warranty? Can Bryston be of any assistance or am I left alone paying for everything?

Thanks for your input,

Parabellum 10-15-2021 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And a picture of what it is supposed to look like...

Masterlu 10-15-2021 05:16 PM

Serge… I can help, at least with an answer. Since it is not defective, Bryston would charge you. That said, you’re dealer should do the right thing and pick up the tab.

I know that I would. :yes:

Parabellum 10-15-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1047030)
Serge… I can help, at least with an answer. Since it is not defective, Bryston would charge you. That said, you’re dealer should do the right thing and pick up the tab.

I know that I would. :yes:

Thanks Ivan. I will start off by giving a call to Bryston and get an estimate about the costs of repair. What worries me most is how long it will take to get it repaired. I cannot imagine my system down for 2 or 3 months, maybe more thinking about Christmas coming quickly. Depending on the costs, I may take the hit and deal with it. I am in no mood to fight over this with a dealer.

Masterlu 10-15-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parabellum (Post 1047046)
Thanks Ivan. I will start off by giving a call to Bryston and get an estimate about the costs of repair. What worries me most is how long it will take to get it repaired. I cannot imagine my system down for 2 or 3 months, maybe more thinking about Christmas coming quickly. Depending on the costs, I may take the hit and deal with it. I am in no mood to fight over this with a dealer.

Bryston is currently running a minimum of 10 weeks on service repairs.

clpetersen 10-16-2021 09:14 AM

The connector is a standard part. If your dealer knows which end of a soldering iron gets hot, they should be able to repair. or any competent electronics shop. Just two solder points.

hdvidguy 10-16-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parabellum (Post 1047028)
Hey there,

In my quest to find the perfect digital cable for my BDP-3/BDA-3 combo, I purchased a Kimber Kable Select KS2020 BNC/BNC. I was excited when I received it and was quick to have it hooked on that combo... But, no sound. The BDA-3 was not receiving any signal. Nothing. I first thought that the cable was shot but upon closer inspection, it seems the BNC connector of my BDP-3 surely is.

I purchased this unit as a demo from an authorized dealer with full warranty. So, that means that some other people tried this unit. But at some point there was an idiot who busted the connector by, what I believe, trying to insert a "RCA" S/PDIF cable......... Now the tiny connector of the BNC output is completely flared like those loony tunes canons. See picture.

I obviously know the difference between a BNC and RCA connector, so I didn't do any of this. Who would be responsible in this case, is it covered by the warranty? Can Bryston be of any assistance or am I left alone paying for everything?

Thanks for your input,

Is BNC the best digital connection?
I use AES XLR connection. Hear HDMI may be also really good.

Parabellum 10-16-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdvidguy (Post 1047074)
Is BNC the best digital connection?
I use AES XLR connection. Hear HDMI may be also really good.

I will need my BDP-3 to be fixed so that I can relate my experience with the Kimber KS2020 and the BNC output. I have two AES/EBU cables now, the Inakustik Digital 2404 AIR and the Shunyata Alpha v2. I like both for different reasons but I wish to find the perfect balance between the two. It's a pricey endeavour but I had a good price on the KS2020 so I didn't really bother about it being BNC. If I really like it, I may get its AES/EBU variant with the KS2120.

Edit :
I read also that the HDMI output is supposed to be very good. I have some quality HDMI cables (Kimber HD29) so I think it could be a good opportunity to try it.

Parabellum 10-16-2021 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1047047)
Bryston is currently running a minimum of 10 weeks on service repairs.

Well, that's a bummer.. I cannot wait that long.
In this case, I will ask Bryston if I can purchase the IAD soundboard separately and replace it myself. It should not be more difficult that building a PC.
If, as suggested, one can only replace the BNC socket, I will send my damaged IAD to Bryston so that they fix it. This I don't mind they take 3 months to do the work as long as I have a new soundboard that I would have replaced myself.

John Jordan 10-16-2021 06:08 PM

Serge-

That's a real bummer. The positive "pin" looks like it was split apart as if a screwdriver or something was jammed in there.

As an aside, i did try a Blue Jeans BNC cable (~18US). I was surprised at how good the sound was but in the end preferred USB. Be interesting once you get this sorted out how a more expensive BNC fairs.

Also, of late, been preferring the AES over the USB.