AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   DeVore Fidelity (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   New DeVore Fidelity Forum (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25599)

Masterlu 04-04-2016 08:07 PM

Arr_w... Welcome to AA! :wave:

755a 04-04-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arr_w (Post 772066)
Hello, Currently I'm running a PTP Lenco with Schick 12" arm as my one and only source. I'm trying a Denon 103 with an aftermarket micro line diamond into a Cinemag SU -- jury is still out on the modified Denon. It is more than a full step better than the stock set up, but may not be 'enough' to rely on as the sole source. I am set in my ways with the Leben RS30EQ and Leben CS600. The biggest stumbling block I have is my room. Like most of us in Vancouver, I live in a relatively small apartment and need to make the audio fit the layout. Any set up tips for the O/96 are appreciated. Thanks, Steve

There is a very new review of these speakers by Rafe on another webpage. I don't think I can mention the site (as per rules here?). You should be able to find it. Contact Rafe as he deals with a small Vancouver apt as well. Dirtbag here also has them is a medium sized room in Vancouver as well.

Or spend 2 mill and buy a house in Vancouver.

Arr_w 04-05-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 755a (Post 772074)
There is a very new review of these speakers by Rafe on another webpage. I don't think I can mention the site (as per rules here?). You should be able to find it. Contact Rafe as he deals with a small Vancouver apt as well. Dirtbag here also has them is a medium sized room in Vancouver as well.

Or spend 2 mill and buy a house in Vancouver.

Yeah, I saw Rafe's apartment 'flip' article. It is somewhat inspiring and I may try it -- my place is very similar to his.

I tweaked a fair bit last night and got to a really good spot. The speakers are about 24" out from the front wall. I can afford a few more inches, but that does not seem to help much. 36" out got them more balanced; however, that means they are way too far into the room and too close to the listener. I have 6" of absorption leaning on the wall behind the enclosures, which tames the low end for now.

They are toe-ed in a fair bit. I can barely see the inner sides of the enclosures. Great centre image, stereo guitars are still coming 'from' each channel. Last night was a really good listening session. I was grooving and pulling a lot of emotion out of the system. There were some amazing phase effects from some 60's psych-soundtracks; I'd swear guitars where coming from 180° to my left. Still not a ton of depth in the sound stage, but that's probably more room effect than anything.

And yeah, I was looking around a possible move this winter. It was going to cost me an extra $150K on my mortgage just for another bedroom... bonkers.

steve

755a 04-05-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arr_w (Post 772211)
Yeah, I saw Rafe's apartment 'flip' article. It is somewhat inspiring and I may try it -- my place is very similar to his. I tweaked a fair bit last night and got to a really good spot. The speakers are about 24" out from the front wall. I can afford a few more inches, but that does not seem to help much. 36" out got them more balanced; however, that means they are way too far into the room and too close to the listener. I have 6" of absorption leaning on the wall behind the enclosures, which tames the low end for now. They are toe-ed in a fair bit. I can barely see the inner sides of the enclosures. Great centre image, stereo guitars are still coming 'from' each channel. Last night was a really good listening session. I was grooving and pulling a lot of emotion out of the system. There were some amazing phase effects from some 60's psych-soundtracks; I'd swear guitars where coming from 180° to my left. Still not a ton of depth in the sound stage, but that's probably more room effect than anything. And yeah, I was looking around a possible move this winter. It was going to cost me an extra $150K on my mortgage just for another bedroom... bonkers. steve

150k for a bedroom, sounds like a bargain! Or buy a dump on first avenue near Victoria for 1.5mil!

Contacting Rafe is not a bad idea. He can give you come pointed. He is a friend of mine and a super guy.

Arr_w 04-06-2016 12:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll reach out to Rafe in a bit. I'd like to try a few things at home first.

Everything is sounding pretty good. The low end is a little overpowering at times.

CFz 04-07-2016 08:38 AM

Arr_w,
I will have a mostly similar setup. My O96 are due to arrive next week and I will be pairing them with a Leben CS600. Still working on my vinyl setup but I am targeting the Leben phono. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Arr_w 04-14-2016 12:28 PM

Still having issues with low end extension on my O/96s. They are really singing for the most part. BUT, any music with high level of very low inflow becomes overbearing.

I have an 'L' shaped room and positions are limited at best. Still working things out.

Arr_w 04-14-2016 01:57 PM

I will be reaching out to the member's suggested, but I'm still new on this site and need to get a few extra posts and credibility on this site...

755a 04-14-2016 02:10 PM

Room treatment time? Hifi centre sells stuff that would work.

Arr_w 04-14-2016 02:19 PM

Yeah, I'm a bit more of a DIY guy for that. I currently have about 6" deep 2'x4' ridged fibreglass behind them. It helps a little but obviously the amount of power these speakers are pouching in the low end is huge, So my panels are likely just a drop in the bucket.

Has anyone had experience actually choking the low end frequency being sent to the speakers?