AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Venom PS8 plus defender (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34005)

Venere 12-12-2015 03:14 PM

Venom PS8 plus defender

Anybody have first hand experience with the Venom PS8 power distributor and/or the Defender filter? I have pretty modest system and the $1k cost is about all i am willing to spend on power conditioing. Would replace a Furman PST-8D if anyone is familiar wit that product. Thanks for any feedback.

Masterlu 12-12-2015 03:37 PM

I own a few Venom PS8's and Defenders; also familiar with your Furman model. I'll post my experience a bit later when on my computer.

Masterlu 12-12-2015 04:47 PM

The Venom PS8 is the real deal; for superb power distribution. Along with a quality power cord and a Defender you would be all set.

The Furman is for lack of better words a toy in comparison. I use the PS8 in a few of my systems where I need no nonsense power outlets. Solidly built, with high quality outlets and internal wiring, these offer high current power delivery. When used along with a Defender, you will add an extra measure of surge protection; highly recommended.

Antonmb 12-12-2015 05:04 PM

Second Ivan's comments, I have a PS8 and Defender, it's a great setup and all you should need besides good power cords.

Venere 12-13-2015 01:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Sold, and anxious to hear the results.

Venere 12-13-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 746614)
The Venom PS8 is the real deal; for superb power distribution. Along with a quality power cord and a Defender you would be all set. The Furman is for lack of better words a toy in comparison. I use the PS8 in a few of my systems where I need no nonsense power outlets. Solidly built, with high quality outlets and internal wiring, these offer high current power delivery. When used along with a Defender, you will add an extra measure of surge protection; highly recommended.

Ivan, do you recommend using the Defender in most applications? I know some folks are fans of straight power distribution with no filters/surge protection, etc. Does use of the Defender inhibit dynamics, transients, etc? I am a little wary of not having any noise filtration or surge protection, so was planning on using the Defender. Your thoughts please?

Masterlu 12-13-2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venere (Post 746777)
Ivan, do you recommend using the Defender in most applications? I know some folks are fans of straight power distribution with no filters/surge protection, etc. Does use of the Defender inhibit dynamics, transients, etc? I am a little wary of not having any noise filtration or surge protection, so was planning on using the Defender. Your thoughts please?

The Defender is great, I use them throughout all of my systems. Since they are a parallel device, it won't affect dynamics or current delivery in any way.

Venere 12-13-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 746780)
The Defender is great, I use them throughout all of my systems. Since they are a parallel device, it won't affect dynamics or current delivery in any way.

Excellent. Thanks for the info Ivan.

PLK 12-13-2015 03:46 PM

I tried a Defender, it did nothing to improve my system.

Make sure you're able to return it, if you have the same experience.

Higgens 12-13-2015 04:03 PM

I have a PS8/Defender combo and am a happy customer. Keep in mind the Defender is both a power conditioner as well as a surge protector.