AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   How Do You Sort Your Classical LP/CD’s Poll (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49898)

Audiophilehi 05-19-2021 05:24 PM

How Do You Sort Your Classical LP/CD’s Poll

So how does everyone sort their Classical LP/CD’s? I usually do it by conductor followed by title. I’m moving to a new dedicated room and wondering if I should sort by composer.

bart 05-19-2021 05:32 PM

Composer here.
Or artist when the album is oriented towards that artist performing for example different composers from the baroque period (e.g. the album 'Sacrificium' from la Bartoli).

Audiophilehi 05-19-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 1038636)
Composer here.
Or artist when the album is oriented towards that artist performing for example different composers from the baroque period (e.g. the album 'Sacrificium' from la Bartoli).

Thanks Bart...so if you have a composer with the same title by multiple conductors do you then sort by conductor?

I believe that’s what I’m going to move to. :yes:

audioguy3107 05-19-2021 06:41 PM

I sort mine by composer unless it's a disc/album that is more of an individual effort, like, Yo Yo Ma, Angela Hewitt, Nicola Benedetti, Lang Lang. Those are sorted in alphabetical order.

- Buck

Antonmb 05-19-2021 07:18 PM

Similar to Bart and Buck, I sort my vinyl by composer first, then by ensemble, unless there are multiple composers on the same recording. In that case, if it’s a featured performer or conductor, I sort by that. If no featured performer, then I place under V for Various Composers, then by album title. The grand exception to these rules is the Bach family. If the recording is of multiple Bachs, it goes under Bach.

Kal Rubinson 05-19-2021 07:41 PM

That issue was a concern until I moved (almost) entirely to file-based playback. All my music is easily searched and accessible by any parameter or combination of parameters. My only physical library is of concert/opera/ballet BluRay discs and they are sorted by composer but there are only a few hundred.

Audiophilehi 05-19-2021 08:00 PM

Thanks to all for the replies. It appears I am the only one so far that sorted by conductor. Not sure why I did it that way but it’s time for a change. It also makes sense to me now.

Thanks again!!

bart 05-20-2021 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1038641)
Similar to Bart and Buck, I sort my vinyl by composer first, then by ensemble, unless there are multiple composers on the same recording. In that case, if it’s a featured performer or conductor, I sort by that. If no featured performer, then I place under V for Various Composers, then by album title. The grand exception to these rules is the Bach family. If the recording is of multiple Bachs, it goes under Bach.

:thumbsup:

Bach rules!

tima 05-21-2021 02:45 AM

I went through this decision process a few months ago and came down to Compose, Type, Work, Conductor (alphabetic) though I gave some thought to Composer, Type, Conductor, Work

Composer: Sibelius
Type: Symphony
-Symphony 1
--- Davis
--- Karajan
--- Maazel
-Symphony 2
--- Davis
--- Karajan
--- Maazel
type: Tone Poem
-Swan of Tuonella
--- Kamu
--- Karajan
--- Ormandy
-Tapiola
--- Kamu
--- Karajan
--- Ormandy

etc.

When there were multiple composers on an album I tended to group by whomever was predominant or who was side 1 track 1. However I did have a couple groups like "The Russian Five" (Dui, Borodin, Balakirev, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov). And I did end up with a category of Unclassified and tried to keep that small.

The actually doing was something of a "rebuilding the boat while at sea" riot:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5419