AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Focals and McIntosh (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26342)

ILUVAUDIO 04-17-2014 11:51 PM

Focals and McIntosh

Utopia listening sessions - Focal

Here is one for Ivan, since the Focal speakers are being powered by McIntosh gear!!! :banana:

Cheers,

scirica 04-19-2014 08:54 PM

That has to be great combination. Hoping my 948's will play well with my new Mac gear!

HKJDH 05-31-2014 12:40 PM

MA7900 and Focal Aira 936

I paired the Focal Aira 936 with the MA7900 for around a week. The sound is getting better and better. The details are coming up.

Masterlu 05-31-2014 03:11 PM

HKJDH... Welcome to AA! :wave:

tweet 05-31-2014 05:48 PM

HKJDH... Welcome to AA! :wave:

cmalak 05-31-2014 09:01 PM

scirica and HKJDH...can you share with us your thoughts on Focal's new Aria line of speakers. Interested in both your models. How would you describe their sonic character? What speakers did they replace? How long have you had them? Are you happy with them, etc...? Any and all info/impressions would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

scirica 05-31-2014 09:28 PM

Cmalak: I am extremely impressed with the 948's given the relatively low cost. Of course low when compared to the average speakers on this forum in particular! I upgraded from Linn AV5140 main and center speakers, Anthem MRX500 as a pre/pro, and a Proceed Amp5. Current system is in signature. Focal/Mcintosh system blows away my old system in every way imaginable. It's more dynamic, detailed, and has the darkest noise floor I've ever "not" heard. I'd say the Aria's do a great job with midrange and higher. Bass is good, but needs a subwoofer for true extension past 40hz. I did have the Aria's running off the Anthem/Proceed combo for a few weeks and was quite pleased with the step up from the Linns. However, when combined with the Mcintosh MX121 & MC205 they really started to shine. Some speakers seem to like certain electronics better than others. Aria's LOVE Mcintosh!

cmalak 05-31-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 611380)
Cmalak:

I am extremely impressed with the 948's given the relatively low cost. Of course low when compared to the average speakers on this forum in particular!

I upgraded from Linn AV5140 main and center speakers, Anthem MC500 as a pre/pro, and a Proceed Amp5. Current system is in signature.

Focal/Mcintosh system blows away my old system in every way imaginable. It's more dynamic, detailed, and has the darkest noise floor I've ever "not" heard. I'd say the Aria's do a great job with midrange and higher. Bass is good, but needs a subwoofer for true extension past 40hz.

I did have the Aria's running off the Anthem/Proceed combo for a few weeks and was quite pleased with the step up from the Linns. However, when combined with the Mcintosh MX121 & MC205 they really started to shine. Some speakers seem to like certain electronics better than others. Aria's LOVE Mcintosh!

thx for the feedback :thumbsup:

HKJDH 06-01-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 611368)
scirica and HKJDH...can you share with us your thoughts on Focal's new Aria line of speakers. Interested in both your models. How would you describe their sonic character? What speakers did they replace? How long have you had them? Are you happy with them, etc...? Any and all info/impressions would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

I like the clarity of the music reproduced which could not be noticed in my previous KEF 104/2. The sound of musical instruments are faithfully reproduced in a dynamically manner. It is a great experience to me. It is the vocal part that I found noticeably different from my KEF - the vocal is not so sweet and focus. I do hope the situation will be improved after the breaking-in.

BTW, another factor for my choice for Focal is that they are made in France where gives me the confidence on quality assurance. Most products with such competitive price go to China nowadays.

HKJDH 06-01-2014 12:25 AM

@cmalak
I am new to this App and it appears that I made a reply to you instead of this thread. Please check.