AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Altaira Chassis Hub or Alpha NR v.2 PC for the bedroom? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51722)

jimtranr 11-03-2022 07:21 PM

Altaira Chassis Hub or Alpha NR v.2 PC for the bedroom?

Given system variables, I understand that this may not be an easy question to answer, but in looking ahead to my post-Christmas break-in to my penny jar (I like to plan ahead), which option is likely to improve sonic performance more in the bedroom system detailed in my signature block--an Altaira chassis hub with Venom v3 ground cables or an Alpha NR v.2 PC for my c-j Premier 17LS line stage (currently fed by a Delta NR v2)?

I ask because replacing the Delta XC v2 with an Alpha XC v2 to feed my Delta D6 power distributor has effected a significant improvement in perceptible resolution, soundstage dimensionality, and transient quickness. My first thought was to consider an Alpha NR to feed the c-j line stage currently fed by a Delta NR. But seeing the Altaira video and reading commentary on the unit suggests that my pennies might be better spent on dealing with system grounding.

Note that none of my source components has a dedicated ground terminal, but each has at least one spare set of RCA input jacks available, so I'd ground-connect via that route. The amp has neither a ground terminal nor a spare set of jacks, so I'd have to find a chassis screw that would provide an actual ground connection.

Your thoughts and advice appreciated.

TIA.

jimtranr 11-03-2022 07:34 PM

I don't know if this will help, but here's a wiring diagram of the bedroom audio system:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5723

Masterlu 11-03-2022 09:04 PM

Jim… the Altaira ground chassis hub with Venom v3 ground cables, will easily outperform an Alpha NR v.2 PC on your c-j Premier 17LS line stage.

The Altaira ground chassis hub, is nothing short of phenomenal. :yes:

In addition, this upgrade will treat your entire system to a much lower noise floor; not just your c-j Premier 17LS.

jimtranr 11-04-2022 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1068139)
Jim… the Altaira ground chassis hub with Venom v3 ground cables, will easily outperform an Alpha NR v.2 PC on your c-j Premier 17LS line stage.

In addition, this upgrade will treat your entire system to a much lower noise floor; not just your c-j Premier 17LS.

Thank you, Ivan. That's very helpful. Expect to hear from me. :D

crwilli 11-04-2022 09:11 AM

I would agree on the Altaira option. I would add to not assume your signal outputs can be used as chassis grounds. You must test for continuity to prove that. When testing, you should also simply test a chassis screw, normally something close to your IEC inlet. Very important to follow the guidance on the Shunyata website.

Masterlu 11-04-2022 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1068151)
I would agree on the Altaira option. I would add to not assume your signal outputs can be used as chassis grounds. You must test for continuity to prove that. When testing, you should also simply test a chassis screw, normally something close to your IEC inlet. Very important to follow the guidance on the Shunyata website.

100% correct, and your dealer. ;)

jimtranr 11-04-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1068151)

Thanks, Craig. I'd already downloaded the Shunyata worksheet and various guides, and I have a Fluke DMM at the ready, so I'll be sure to make those checks before proceeding further.

The one thing I'd add re chassis screws is to avoid loosening one that might secure critical internal components.

Puma Cat 11-04-2022 08:31 PM

Quote:

100% agree with Ivan on this one. :yes:

Also, Jim, my CJ LP07S power amp did not have an accessible chassis ground post (it has chassis screw that indicates connection to "earth ground", but that's not usable as it has a locknut on it inside the chassis). So...I drilled a hole in my chassis at a convenient location on the back, and installed a 3-way binding post that connects to chassis ground (checked and confirmed with multimeter).

https://photos.imageevent.com/puma_c...-LP70_Rear.jpg

And, then I connected it to an Altaira! Oh, yeahhh....:music:

Quote:

A very accurate observation and also 100% correct. :thumbsup: The entire system benefits, not just the one component.

I'll just add that I've got Altaira Signal Ground hub "dedicated" solely to the Constellation Inspiration integrated amp I am presently using, and connecting the Altaira to it transformed an already very, very impressive sounding integrated amp, and took the Inspiration to another level altogether. So, much so, I'm going to be selling my "separates", First Sound Presence Deluxe preamp and my CJ LP70S power amp, and just go with the Inspiration integrated.

https://photos.imageevent.com/puma_c...nd-Altaira.jpg

Adding an Altaira hub will transform your set-up, and...your musical experience. :yes:

jimtranr 11-04-2022 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1068182)
100% agree with Ivan on this one. :yes:

Also, Jim, my CJ LP07S power amp did not have an accessible chassis ground post (it has chassis screw that indicates connection to "earth ground", but that's not usable as it has a locknut on it inside the chassis). So...I drilled a hole in my chassis at a convenient location on the back, and installed a 3-way binding post that connects to chassis ground (checked and confirmed with multimeter).

https://photos.imageevent.com/puma_c...-LP70_Rear.jpg

And, then I connected it to an Altaira! Oh, yeahhh....:music:

Adding an Altaira hub will transform your set-up, and...your musical experience. :yes:

Thanks, Stephen. It's what I'll have to do with, at minimum, the MF2500. So I appreciate the tip.

JazzMaster 11-05-2022 07:28 PM

These intrigue me; time to PM Ivan also.