AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audeze (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Deckard (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39347)

Elvis160 05-10-2017 11:27 AM

Deckard

Hello,

Has anyone used the Deckard headphone amp with a stand alone preamp? I wonder if the Deckard would offer improvement over the built-in headphone amp in my Mcintosh C 2300. I am using the LCD-2 headphones. I have an opportunity to acquire a Deckard. I would not use the built-in DAC.

Thanks!

BlueSky 05-15-2017 08:17 PM

Although not having any experience with the headphone amp in the C2300, I can say that the Deckard is a very capable headphone amp when used with my LCD-XC closed back headphones. It never runs out of power or feels like it's being pressed too hard. It compares well to the iFi Pro ICAN tube type amp I also have although I do like the sound of the NOS GE tubes in the ICAN.

If you can try before you buy or otherwise have a satisfaction "guarantee" why not give it a try?

Elvis160 05-17-2017 01:37 AM

Thank you, Blue Sky!

mallen123 05-28-2018 12:57 PM

realize this is an old post, but i use the Deckard as HP amp only for my LCD 3's and it's quite good.

My only challenge is my pre amp (CJ GAT ) inverts phase, which I take care of by reversing polarity of the speaker cables. Since i cant do that with my HP Cables (other than having a custom out of phase set built), I probably am not hearing the full capability of the Deckard in my system.

But it drives the LCD 3 very well - no hint of compression, so just wanted to share my experience.

Elvis160 06-01-2018 01:18 AM

Thanks, mallen 123. I ended up getting the Woo Audio WA6SE, which pairs up real well with my LCD-2's. Have you compared the LCD-2's to the LCD-3's? Thanks.

PHC1 06-01-2018 09:27 AM

I have a Deckard on my desk as well. By itself it is a very smooth class A amp/DAC that is warmish and musical but I use the DAC and Deckard variable output to drive my Woo WA6 headphone amp. In this setup the results are fantastic as I can dial in the “pre-gain” and get the Woo amp to sing in the range it likes and sounds best. :music:

saru 06-14-2018 04:39 PM

I enjoy my Deckard as well. I have it connected to my desktop for those times when I can't play loud music through the main system. One of the better bang-for-buck values among my audio purchases! My headphones are a set of open-backed EL-8's, which are just dandy but I'm certain that the Deckard would serve me well if I chose to upgrade to a higher-end set of Audeze 'phones.

PHC1 06-14-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saru (Post 918792)
I enjoy my Deckard as well. I have it connected to my desktop for those times when I can't play loud music through the main system. One of the better bang-for-buck values among my audio purchases! My headphones are a set of open-backed EL-8's, which are just dandy but I'm certain that the Deckard would serve me well if I chose to upgrade to a higher-end set of Audeze 'phones.

Absolutely. I loved the Deckard with LC2C and especially LCD3