AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Remote Control (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Don't forget to integrate lighting (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=507)

Masterlu 04-26-2009 09:38 AM

Don't forget to integrate lighting

Integrating lighting is a must do, especially if you have a Theater. I use Lutron Maestro products, easy & reliable. You can select any number of pre-selected "moods" or total lights out.

rlrct 04-26-2009 10:15 AM

When we did our addition, I did huge amounts of lighting in our sunroom and sparoom. I was primarily using Leviton and Lutron products and looked at the Maestro and similar products.

I ended up deciding to use a bunch of the Decora style switches with dimmers. It was simpler to setup than one of the panel-based sysems and it's more flexible in that it's easier to vary the lighting to suit our mood. You can vary the lighting with the preprogrammed panels but it's not as convenient as just changing some individual dimmers.

Whether you use a structured lighting panel or lots of individual dimmers, what's important to me is to have lots of lighting that can be dimmed to create the "mood" or brought up when you need to have enough light to work.

Masterlu 04-26-2009 10:22 AM

Don't forget those over head hi-beams (bars closed-time to go) ;)

JFR0317 04-26-2009 10:27 AM

Ivan, Universal Remote Control has just come out with a co-branded series of Lutron switches and dimmers that are activated by RF from the URC remotes. I'm planning on installing one in place of an IR-activated Lutron dimmer in my upstairs theater room.

Masterlu 04-26-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFR0317 (Post 8606)
Ivan, Universal Remote Control has just come out with a co-branded series of Lutron switches and dimmers that are activated by RF from the URC remotes. I'm planning on installing one in place of an IR-activated Lutron dimmer in my upstairs theater room.

That's a must own product, thanks.

jdandy 04-26-2009 11:30 AM

I use the Lutron IR dimmers in my home theater as well. I have two different set points programmed into the Pronto remote. It never fails to impress guests. They are expecting you to go to the switches on the wall. From the couch, I simply press the color touch screen lighting symbol, and down go the lights to theater mode. I love it.

Masterlu 04-26-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 8629)
I use the Lutron IR dimmers in my home theater as well. I have two different set points programmed into the Pronto remote. It never fails to impress guests. They are expecting you to go to the switches on the wall. From the couch, I simply press the color touch screen lighting symbol, and down go the lights to theater mode. I love it.

Yup, its a must have. Next best is to have HVAC in there too...

80B 04-26-2009 11:38 AM

You guys remind me of the scene in Animal House where the student is entertaining Dean Wormer's wife!:icon_beer::lmao:

OK, lighting does serve more than just one purpose.:D

Masterlu 04-26-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80B (Post 8635)
You guys remind me of the scene in Animal House where the student is entertaining Dean Wormer's wife!:icon_beer::lmao:

OK, lighting does serve more than just one purpose.:D

Funny, I don't recall that line in the movie... :smoking:

deafbykhorns 05-26-2009 08:55 PM

I use the new Leviton Vizia RF which does not require any additional wiring and works much better than the older X10 systems. They are also easier to install/program as well and integrate with all the high end "Z wave" compatible controllers. If your house is 8,000'++ with many scene stations then Lutron is the industry standard. Both products also look really nice with the screwless plates. :smoking: