AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MCT 500 a nice piece of gear (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50022)

Charles 07-04-2021 01:23 AM

MCT 500 a nice piece of gear

Just connected my new MCT 500 into the system. Sounds great. Very pleased. Pics posted in the Mac gallery.

https://i.imgur.com/CrgpMmwh.jpg

Best

Charles

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

miner 07-04-2021 03:53 PM

McIntosh makes very capable digital transport and playback gear. Enjoy your new MCT500!

Bob Bubeck 07-05-2021 02:30 PM

>> Just connected my new MCT 500 into the system. Sounds great. Very pleased. <<

There is a good deal of agreement about the MCT500. See:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49679

Enjoy!

Bob
__________________________________________________ ____________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.

Charles 07-05-2021 03:11 PM

Thanks to all. Like a little kid, which for a not insignificant part I am, I've been listening non stop for hours. I really like this transport. It has a crystalline quality. If I had to describe it in a phrase: "transparency without edge". This has resulted in an additional expense: a new WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for my incoming MVP 901.

Best

Charles

Charles 07-06-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck (Post 1040995)
>> Just connected my new MCT 500 into the system. Sounds great. Very pleased. <<

There is a good deal of agreement about the MCT500. See:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49679

Enjoy!

Bob
__________________________________________________ ____________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.

Bob I just read the review. Certainly very favorable. The MVP 901 has also received a very favorable review. It led to my ordering the expensive coaxial digital cable. I think it superior to the optical cable. I think the MCT connection a real winner. In my opinion with the MCT there really is no need for another digital connection. SACD on the Mac with the MCT is fabulous.

Best

Charles

p.s. I can't believe how expensive these AQ coaxial cables are. Fortunately, the 901 will set just above the D1100 so .75 meter will work. I sat there wondering if I could live with a Wild but then I knew I couldn't.

substance 07-07-2021 02:13 PM

MCT connector sends the clock, bi-phase, and word signals on separate balanced pairs therefore avoids the SPDIF conversion in the digital coax and Toslink. A lot less jitter and much better noise rejection. Sony doesn’t allow DSD to be transported over SPDIF for copy-write concerns. MCT is a nice work around this too.

Great machine! I am looking to add one soon too. I wish D1100 had multiple MCT inputs.

Charles 07-08-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by substance (Post 1041073)
MCT connector sends the clock, bi-phase, and word signals on separate balanced pairs therefore avoids the SPDIF conversion in the digital coax and Toslink. A lot less jitter and much better noise rejection. Sony doesn’t allow DSD to be transported over SPDIF for copy-write concerns. MCT is a nice work around this too.

Great machine! I am looking to add one soon too. I wish D1100 had multiple MCT inputs.

substance, thank you for this information. I could not be more pleased with the MCT 500. I particularly like the AES/EBU output. I think it superior to coaxial and at least on par with the MCT but this with a WEL cable that costs 10 times as much. Some expensive transports that use a specialized connection only offer as an option, an additional coaxial output, no AES/EBU. With the MCT 500 you get both. I will be interested to see how the MVP 901 sounds through the coaxial digital output with a WEL digital cable as opposed to my current setup: MVP 881 through AQ Diamond optical cable to D1100. :yes:

p.s. However, I did not purchase the WEL digital cable. I received it as a gift from my dealer. Very unexpected. I listen to CD's through it. If you AB it with the MCT (easy to do) you couldn't tell any difference. The MCT is that good.

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport
Sources: McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

JurisHP 07-08-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1040925)
Just connected my new MCT 500 into the system. Sounds great. Very pleased. Pics posted in the Mac gallery.

https://i.imgur.com/CrgpMmwh.jpg

Best

Charles

I have the same one...GREAT unit!

Masterlu 07-08-2021 05:49 PM

JurisHP… Welcome to AA! :wave:

streetspirit 07-08-2021 10:17 PM

Charles, big congrats on the new gear! Great pic and I’m sure it sounds fantastic!

Mitch