AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   JL Audio Fathom f113 repair (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43298)

Weirdcuba 07-06-2018 10:01 PM

Wow. Maybe I’ll have to break my rule that if it requires a tool, I have someone else do it.

Congrats. Way over my head and beyond my capabilities.

jdandy 07-06-2018 10:10 PM

Terry.......

Jim.......

If you can handle a screw driver, a couple of hex keys, and a soldering iron, you can make this repair. That is, of course, that the issue on any particular subwoofer is a power supply capacitor.

audio bill 07-06-2018 10:16 PM

Congrats on the successful repair Dan, kudos on a job well done!

Cohibaman 07-06-2018 10:27 PM

JL Audio Fathom f113 repair

Dan,

Congrats!!! Panasonic caps are the Esoteric brand of caps. When possible, it’s my go-to brand. Well done, sir!!!!

mchydro 07-06-2018 11:31 PM

Good work Dan!

crwilli 07-06-2018 11:33 PM

Well done Dan! That type of repair brings such great satisfaction to me!

mtroo 07-06-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 922188)
Terry.......

Jim.......

If you can handle a screw driver, a couple of hex keys, and a soldering iron, you can make this repair. That is, of course, that the issue on any particular subwoofer is a power supply capacitor.

Dan,
I don’t have the same skill set. You are one of the many talented folks on this forum with electronics, but I have never soldered anything. Sure there are videos, but lots of videos make things look easy.

I found a video on mitral valve repair. Not sure I want to try this either...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTHPLWBNjCU

Good job on the repair. I am a little envious.

Masterlu 07-06-2018 11:51 PM

Dan... well done! :ok:

jdandy 07-07-2018 01:03 AM

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/847/2...e2c081cb_o.jpg

Ivan.......Thank you. I REALLY did not want to have to pack and ship the Fathom. After two months without the f113 working it is a pleasure to have the super low frequency reinforcement back in the living room sound system. I was so happy to see the Master light and the Calibrate button illuminate. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Type in JL Audio Fathom f113 repair in the Google search line and the thread already comes up. I hope this thread proves worthwhile to others who may be experiencing the same issue I had. A little DIY project sure saved a lot of energy and money. What's not to like about that?

jdandy 07-07-2018 11:56 AM

This morning's music with my coffee and pastry sounded so good with the f113 back in the system. I listened to Liz Story with Joel Di Bartolo. Joel's acoustic double bass was so enticing, the perfect compliment to Liz Story's amazing talent on the piano. I guess I was missing my subwoofer more than I realized. Sure good to have it up and running again.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3837/...3f0eb109_o.jpg

Masterlu 07-07-2018 11:58 AM

So Dan... how much for a house call? :lmao:

Masterlu 07-07-2018 12:00 PM

Reliability Side Note; between both my homes I’m running 16 JL Audio Subs. I have only had 2 failures (F113v1 x 2) in 15 years. :)

oddeophile 07-07-2018 12:15 PM

Good for you Ivan. You must be lucky. 3 F113’s and two of them went down with the same issue. For me a 67% failure rate in my home isn’t good. Since it’s s known part that goes would have expected JL to redesign or replace with a superior part to withstand the obvious load its carrying.
I sold two of my subs. One has been sitting dead in the corner for three years. Someday will decide if it’s worth it to fix or just sell as is.
On the other hand JL does have good CS when contacted. I’m just in a position with a severe disability at this point in my life restricting me from being able to lift, pull or otherwise handle the weight involved.
Overall, given JL’s reputation I would have thought they would have recognized the issue early on and take steps to resolve on future units.

Masterlu 07-07-2018 01:55 PM

I agree; and didn’t realize it was this common/widespread.

Cohibaman 07-07-2018 02:11 PM

Electrolytic capacitors are used in nearly every electronic device including microwave ovens, TVs, uninterruptible power supplies, toys, computers, etc.

Generally speaking, capacitors are very reliable, but they are susceptible to over-voltage and over-temperature. If a capacitor is chosen for a given application and it’s close to it’s limits for voltage and temperature, it will fail eventually. Moreover, there are some brands that tend to fail more than others.

I’ve resurrected/repaired many electronic items including major name TVs and stereo components due to failed capacitors.

This is not a problem specific to JL audio; it’s industry wide and the nature of the beast.

tweet 07-07-2018 02:12 PM

Here's a current f113 for sale description by a dealer on another site. Best regardless of price but they all need service? Hmm... :scratch2:

Best subwoofer regardless of price. Purchased from us in 2014. Just recently serviced. All the version 1’s will need service at one point or another so this is good to go for a long time. Comes in version 2 box.

oddeophile 07-07-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 922276)
Electrolytic capacitors are used in nearly every electronic device including microwave ovens, TVs, uninterruptible power supplies, toys, computers, etc.

Generally speaking, capacitors are very reliable, but they are susceptible to over-voltage and over-temperature. If a capacitor is chosen for a given application and it’s close to it’s limits for voltage and temperature, it will fail eventually. Moreover, there are some brands that tend to fail more than others.

I’ve resurrected/repaired many electronic items including major name TVs and stereo components due to failed capacitors.

This is not a problem specific to JL audio; it’s industry wide and the nature of the beast.

Indeed but not the same part with a very high known issue. I higher voltage rating etc with a more rugged construction and/or mfr. I’ve owned amps and components over the eons and never had a failure let alone two of the three I own amp boards I owned. So it’s very suspect.

As an example my beloved MESA Engineering Baron dual mono tube amp I’ve owned for 19 years and a good portion of that it was in storage -a condition which can cause electrolytic caps to leak or dry up. Had it thoroughly checked out a couple years ago out of concern after long storage and the United ChemiCon electrolytic caps were smack on in spec and still flawless.

They can have a custom cap designed specifically for their application to solve the issue. Again knowing JLs reputation quite surprised they haven’t.

BTW I ran mine off P10s so had constant voltage supplied.

jdandy 07-08-2018 04:56 PM

This morning I ran the JL Audio automatic room optimization on my newly repaired Fathom f113. I contemplated not doing it because the calibration button light was illuminated, which the manual states: If you have already run A.R.O. once, the “Calibrate” light will already be on. Each time A.R.O. calibration is run, the previous settings are erased and the new settings are stored. My calibration button light was on, so I assume that meant my original ARO calibration was still stored in a non-volatile memory chip. The Fathom has been sounding excellent these past two days, so it is likely my previous calibration was still working. After mulling it over I decided to go ahead with ARO again. Once I plugged the calibration microphone into the f113 and followed the manual's instructions the ARO process went smoothly. I had forgotten how powerful those low frequency test tone sweeps are. So I now have a fresh automatic room optimization curve stored and all seems perfectly fine. I can't really tell if the new ARO curve is different from the original curve. All I know is the subwoofer is integrating very well with my PMC EB1i speakers while using all of the same control settings I had previously set. I am happy with the way the capacitor repair went. Having the Fathom f113 back in action pleases me to no end.

Cohibaman 07-08-2018 07:07 PM

Nice job, Dan :thumbsup:

McDaddy 07-08-2018 08:57 PM

Dan, do you happen to recall what size 2” machine screw you used to dislodge the heat sink?

I’m now 2 for 2 with the same problem after 3 years of use on each sub (very frustrated)? I sent the first one back for repair but I’m going to replace the cap myself as i’m confident it’s the same issue.

Karl

jdandy 07-08-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDaddy (Post 922462)
Dan, do you happen to recall what size 2” machine screw you used to dislodge the heat sink?

I’m now 2 for 2 with the same problem after 3 years of use on each sub (very frustrated)? I sent the first one back for repair but I’m going to replace the cap myself as i’m confident it’s the same issue.

Karl.......I used four metric M6 phillips pan head machine screws. They measure 45mm length. They are slightly larger than the hole in the heat sink but the softer aluminum allows the machine screw to tap threads into it. Gradually screw them through the heat sink across the top, then screw each screw a turn or so back across the top until the amp heat sink pulls away from the recessed area of the subwoofer cabinet. Once the amp plate is free, unscrew the machine screws and save for future use.

tweet 07-08-2018 10:24 PM

http://www.inforum.com/sites/default...?itok=QaH773n-

:D

Audiophilehi 07-08-2018 10:26 PM

Thanks for the detailed information Dan! I’ll be saving this thread just in case I need it in the future. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

McDaddy 07-08-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 922473)
Karl.......I used four metric M6 phillips pan head machine screws. They measure 45mm length. They are slightly larger than the hole in the heat sink but the softer aluminum allows the machine screw to tap threads into it. Gradually screw them through the heat sink across the top, then screw each screw a turn or so back across the top until the amp heat sink pulls away from the recessed area of the subwoofer cabinet. Once the amp plate is free, unscrew the machine screws and save for future use.

Thank you Dan, much appreciated!

jdandy 07-08-2018 11:21 PM

Gentlemen....... :tiphat:

Masterlu 07-09-2018 12:10 AM

I just made this a Sticky Thread. :thumbsup:

jdandy 07-09-2018 12:41 AM

Ivan.......Good idea. I hope this thread helps some owners bring their JL Audio subwoofers back to life without the need to ship them to Florida.

paazel 07-10-2018 06:19 AM

Wow congrats Dan! I wish I had your skills, otherwise I'd try it on my F110!

jdandy 07-10-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paazel (Post 922616)
Wow congrats Dan! I wish I had your skills, otherwise I'd try it on my F110!

paazel.......It is not as difficult a task as it may appear. Perhaps you could pull the amp yourself, then have a local tech replace the capacitor for you.

I hope some members give this repair a try. I am relatively confident replacing the capacitor in the stand-by power supply will solve the issue of the subwoofer not powering up.

Mr. Big 07-10-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 921530)
Mike.......Thanks. A bit of positive energy never hurts.

My research has turned up several people's f113's that have been successfully restored by replacing the 100uf/35volt/85C cap (red arrow) with a 100uf/35volt/105C cap. I may also replace the 33uf/400volt/85c cap (yellow arrow) with a 33uf/400volt/105C cap. I should have the two capacitors by Friday. I hope this solves my issue of the subwoofer not powering up. If not then the amp will get shipped to JL Audio for repair. I did find a fuse on the circuit board. It checked good. Shipping a 33 lb amp will be much easier and cheaper than shipping a 147 lb factory carton by freight.

Dan, where did you source the caps? Thanks!

jdandy 07-10-2018 02:17 PM

Steve.......I ordered the capacitors online from Mouser Electronics. mouser.com

Mouser #:
667-EEU-HD1V101
Mfr. #:
EEU-HD1V101
Desc.:
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 100uF 35volts 6.3x11.2 LS 2.5mm

$0.64
$0.64
1 Shipped

Mouser #:
647-UVY2G330MHD
Mfr. #:
UVY2G330MHD
Desc.:
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 400volts 33uF 16x25 20% 7.5LS

$1.30
$1.30
1 Shipped

MERCHANDISE TOTAL:
$1.94
Order Total:
$9.93

W9TR 07-10-2018 03:46 PM

Dan - glad to see you were able to easily fix the issue - congrats!

jdandy 07-10-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 922662)
Dan - glad to see you were able to easily fix the issue - congrats!

Tom.......Thank you. I would be pleased to learn that this information helped another member bring his JL Audio Fathom back to life.

Mr. Big 07-10-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 922655)

MERCHANDISE TOTAL:
$1.94
Order Total:
$9.93

Geez, less than 10 bucks... who said hi-end repairs are expensive!

djwhog 07-10-2018 07:45 PM

Fantastic Dan, great find and fix, was ready to say Pete needs to come out for a visit to help ship the beast,but WOW you are the guy, this is a great repair story at a minimal cost.

I bet over the years many electronic failures from a simple $1-$10 part resulted in throwing away $1000s invested in gear.

You sure are helping a lot of folks :)

I also agree after 9 years and a decent amount of play time etc, not to mention all the power electrical storms in Florida right?

Anyway I think very high of JL and the build quality. This resolved perfect in the end thank you Dan! :thumbsup:

nicoff 07-10-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Big (Post 922692)

They are expensive! You are not only paying for the parts! The biggest expense is determining what to fix!

jdandy 07-10-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Big (Post 922692)

Steve.......The shipping cost four times the parts. Then I only required the single 100uF/35volt capacitor which cost $0.64. Even at $9.93 it was still a tremendous bargain.

jdandy 07-11-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 922697)
Fantastic Dan, great find and fix, was ready to say Pete needs to come out for a visit to help ship the beast,but WOW you are the guy, this is a great repair story at a minimal cost.

I bet over the years many electronic failures from a simple $1-$10 part resulted in throwing away $1000s invested in gear.

You sure are helping a lot of folks :)

I also agree after 9 years and a decent amount of play time etc, not to mention all the power electrical storms in Florida right?

Anyway I think very high of JL and the build quality. This resolved perfect in the end thank you Dan! :thumbsup:

Dave.......Thanks, and you're right, high-end audio repairs can get expensive quick. I have been fortunate through the years. The few repairs I had to pay for were typically less than $400.00. This particular DIY repair was driven by the fact that I did not want to deal with packing and shipping the weight of the Fathom f113. I knew there had to be a more appealing alternative. As I understand it, JL Audio has a $300.00 flat rate repair cost for out of warranty subwoofers that includes return shipping. Add in the shipping cost to get the subwoofer to Miramar, Florida, I was looking at a total of about $450.00. Between the cost and the back breaking effort to get the Fathom shipped, plus getting the sub unpacked and back upstairs when it was returned, I decided it made more sense to try to figure out what the problem was and repair it myself. Needless to say, I am pleased as punch the end results worked in my favor. I really hope others will benefit, too.

jdandy 07-13-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDaddy (Post 922462)

Karl.......Are you still planning to pull the Fathom amp and replace the power supply capacitor yourself? Please keep us posted how it turns out. I have my fingers crossed for you.

McDaddy 07-14-2018 03:19 PM

I am indeed Dan. I ordered the cap with some extras from Mouser just in case and will be doing the repair in a few weeks. Thanks for checking...I will certainly keep you all posted.

Karl