AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Remote Control (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Want to use my iPad as my universal controller (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24408)

joe1515 12-15-2013 02:49 AM

Want to use my iPad as my universal controller

I use to use a Harmony 1100 until my at the time 1.5 year old daughter accidentally broke it. I am looking to use my iPad as as the main controller.

What apps or programs should I be considering? Is it possible to just use a standalone or do I need to pair with a Universal or Crestron remote, for example.

Thanks,

Joe

MyPal 12-15-2013 02:55 AM

iRule looks like the cheapest feature rich IP to IR based automation system for iPad & Android.

My Harmony days are over too & I'm weighing up smarter options like iRule. I do not believe that iRule product supply is as restrictive as the "other two".

You may wish to purchase spare parts for the 1100 on eBay if you want to resurrect it for awhile longer.

doggiehowser 12-15-2013 11:21 AM

You can also use a BT -> IR sender device. So you don't need line of sight to the device (as long as the IR sender is).

Gear4 UnityRemote Review | TV Accessories | CNET UK

I got one of these but the supported list wasn't very good - let down by software. Not sure where I've put the unit now. Maybe I should go see if the software has been updated

joe1515 12-15-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 560675)
You can also use a BT -> IR sender device. So you don't need line of sight to the device (as long as the IR sender is).

Gear4 UnityRemote Review | TV Accessories | CNET UK

I got one of these but the supported list wasn't very good - let down by software. Not sure where I've put the unit now. Maybe I should go see if the software has been updated

Good Morning,

Yes I will be using IR sensors for the hidden components.

Joe

Antonmb 12-15-2013 12:56 PM

I've been using the Harmony Smart Control on one of my systems. It includes an IR blaster that sits in my equipment rack and an iOS app that works pretty well to control everything over wifi. There's also a basic small handheld remote as backup. I know there are not a lot of Harmony fans here, but for $130 it seems to work pretty well.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...ontrol?crid=60

-E- 12-15-2013 02:02 PM

It really depends on what you are trying to integrate. You will almost certainly need something that can go back to IR, as MyPal mentioned.

iRule doesn't have the greatest of reviews - but that is probably because every lame brain out there who has an iPad thinks it can do everything, failing to realize it has no IR...

Yamaki 12-15-2013 04:58 PM

iRule has been suggested and I would suggest you look at Control4 as well.

Pearljam20 12-16-2013 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a harmony 1100 before, and now I use Roomie Remote on an ipad mini and/or my phone. Super easy to use.

Attachment 31040

2fastdriving 12-16-2013 02:09 AM

I have a Galaxy S4 phone, it has IR built into it...I wonder if any of the apps out there are good for it.

Still-One 12-16-2013 11:43 AM

It is too bad that L5 Remote is no longer being supported. It was a little wireless adaptor that you connected to a iPhone/iPad and created your own skin with whatever buttons you wanted on one or multiple screens. I still have it and occasionally use it with a old iPhone I still have. http://static.bhphoto.com/images/ima.../L5_696086.jpg

The Attorney 12-23-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 560885)
I have a Galaxy S4 phone, it has IR built into it...I wonder if any of the apps out there are good for it.

I also have an S4 and I've been looking for apps that can rival my old Harmony 885. The app that comes closest is the TouchSquid (2 versions, the Pro version has Macro support, which I can't decide if I need). It is Activity driven, like the Harmony.

My most important criteria is that I want to be able to configure exactly what buttons go where on the primary screen. The TouchSquid seems to do this, but I haven't actually tried it. It even has a default profile specifically for the S4, which is not quite the button arrangement I'm after, but ok as long as I can change it.

At a lower price, the Smart IR seems ok, but not as configurable.

Newshoundaussie 01-08-2014 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 560692)
I've been using the Harmony Smart Control on one of my systems. It includes an IR blaster that sits in my equipment rack and an iOS app that works pretty well to control everything over wifi. There's also a basic small handheld remote as backup. I know there are not a lot of Harmony fans here, but for $130 it seems to work pretty well.
Harmony Smart Control - Remote for iPad, iPhone & Android - Logitech

I have been using the harmony ultimate with my iPad works great.

Rod#S 01-20-2015 10:11 AM

What about the Harmony app from the app store? I'm a Harmony 1000 user myself and will soon be using a iPad to control a Bryston BDP-2 that I plan on purchasing later this year and I just stumbled onto this app today while doing a web search.

Is anyone familiar with the apple Harmony app? Is it as capable as the 1000/1100 remotes were? i.e.controlling as many devices at a time, macro support, etc. You certainly get a much larger screen by running it from a iPad.

Antonmb 01-20-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod#S (Post 668468)
What about the Harmony app from the app store? I'm a Harmony 1000 user myself and will soon be using a iPad to control a Bryston BDP-2 that I plan on purchasing later this year and I just stumbled onto this app today while doing a web search. Is anyone familiar with the apple Harmony app? Is it as capable as the 1000/1100 remotes were? i.e.controlling as many devices at a time, macro support, etc. You certainly get a much larger screen by running it from a iPad.

when used with a Harmony hub, it works well. I control two different rooms, each with different av setups, and with Bluray, Directv, Roku, Apple TV and AVR. I tend to use the handheld remote more, simply because it's easy to leave on the arm of my chair and grab for quick volume or channel changes, but the app will certainly do it all including full on and off sequences, switching automatically between sources, etc.

Rod#S 01-20-2015 10:35 AM

hmm, this sounds promising then. So what's the deal with this Harmony Hub product you mention, is that necessary as a companion for the app or can one accomplish all they need with just an iPad and the app?

o0OBillO0o 01-20-2015 02:12 PM

Yes, you need the Hub.

I use Harmony App and it works well. iRule was just plain miserable. :(

Note: I use both the hand held remote and iPad

CNET Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlpDSlpvguY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccSQYFiMIHU

Rod#S 01-20-2015 07:24 PM

Thanks

I just downloaded the app and like you mention you can't even perform any initial setup without 1st connecting to the hub. I was hoping I could at least get the app to the point where I can add devices and start setting up activities so I could see how flexible this is compared to my 1000. I don't want to spend the $100 for the hub only to find out this is at best equal to my 1000.

antipop 01-21-2015 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 560692)
Harmony Smart Control - Remote for iPad, iPhone & Android - Logitech

The issue I have with Harmony is that it requires an internet connection at all times and the remote would stop working if the internet goes down.

I don't know if they solved it in the last version. I can't find anything relating to that.

Antonmb 01-21-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 668676)
The issue I have with Harmony is that it requires an internet connection at all times and the remote would stop working if the internet goes down. I don't know if they solved it in the last version. I can't find anything relating to that.

Georges, the Harmony Hub and controller only require an Internet connection for setup, not for use. It does require wifi, since this is how the handheld remote and ipad communicate with the hub.

antipop 01-21-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 668690)
Georges, the Harmony Hub and controller only require an Internet connection for setup, not for use. It does require wifi, since this is how the handheld remote and ipad communicate with the hub.

My understanding is that you need a live connection to the internet to use the app on your iPhone or iPad.

However, the remote works fine without a connection.

If I'm correct, I don't understand why they do it like that and I don't see the gain compared to my 900 if you still need a remote.

Antonmb 01-21-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 668696)
My understanding is that you need a live connection to the internet to use the app on your iPhone or iPad. However, the remote works fine without a connection. If I'm correct, I don't understand why they do it like that and I don't see the gain compared to my 900 if you still need a remote.

I don't use the app that often, but I was pretty sure it works without an Internet connection as long as my home wifi is working. I'll unplug the Internet and verify it when I get home this evening.

Rod#S 01-21-2015 05:51 PM

Thanks for the past few posts. I'm curious to see if it does still function when you disconnect the Internet.

scirica 01-21-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod#S (Post 668771)
Thanks for the past few posts. I'm curious to see if it does still function when you disconnect the Internet.

Theoretically it should only need your home network once everything is set up. Don't see why you'd need the Internet for the actual remote functionality.

Antonmb 01-21-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 668781)
Theoretically it should only need your home network once everything is set up. Don't see why you'd need the Internet for the actual remote functionality.

you don't. I didn't think so either but I just verified to be sure: disconnected my modem and everything works as it should.

Antonmb 01-21-2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 668696)
My understanding is that you need a live connection to the internet to use the app on your iPhone or iPad. However, the remote works fine without a connection. If I'm correct, I don't understand why they do it like that and I don't see the gain compared to my 900 if you still need a remote.

Georges, verified this evening, no internet required to operate.

antipop 01-22-2015 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 668837)
Georges, verified this evening, no internet required to operate.

That's good news. So I guess they fixed it.

So you can use the app with no internet connected. You would only need to have the wifi working obviously.

Rod#S 01-22-2015 02:16 PM

Thanks

Daryn67 03-03-2015 09:25 PM

I have been using the Roomie app, and have even abandoned my Control4 in the livingroom in favor of it. I disconnected sat and went to broadcast tv and didn't want to pay my installer to come back out and reprogram so I thought what the heck, let's give it a try. I will continue to play and adjust but so far I love the function, just miss the hand held button style remote.

Daryn

Rod#S 08-25-2015 07:04 AM

I just recently ordered the Harmony Smart Home over the weekend, should be here late this week. For some reason all of a sudden my Harmony 1000 stopped being able to be updated, always stopped at 3%. I never had an issue with it before. After many failed attempts with my main laptop running Windows 8.1 I switched to my old laptop running Windows 7 but ran into the same issue. I had recently updated the remote back in June when I added the Bryston BDP-2 as a device and created an activity for it and there was no sign of any issues then.

If I had of left well enough alone the remote would still be useable but I thought perhaps reloading the firmware would fix the problem. The firmware was successfully reloaded so it's not as if communication to the remote can not be achieved but when loading the programming it failed again at 3%. So now the remote is useless :(

I also tried updating via the old web page and ran into a similar thing on both laptops, the update stops at step 3 every time. Step 3 comes up as 'Searching for Updated Information'. Perhaps something became corrupt in my account???

In an attempt to keep replacement costs down I decided to give the Smart Home a try as it was on sale for $99 essentially including the simple remote for free. I'm sure it will do the job but it just occurred to me this morning, I had to have my 1000 learn a lot of the commands from the original remotes. I suspect the Smart home, more likely it would be the Harmony hub is not a learning device? If that's the case then I'll still be stuck with keeping additional remotes out which is going to suck.

Rod#S 08-25-2015 09:31 AM

Ah interesting. I was just poking around the Harmony site and found out the hub can in fact learn so I should be covered.