AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Model T Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=21383)

James Tanner - Bryston 03-02-2016 10:15 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston A3 Speaker – Distributor Comments

March 2016

Hi James,

Three (3) wonderful products arrived at PMC from Bryston recently.

We’ve just run up the Bryston A3 speakers and we’re really excited. They sound great and they offer a lot of performance for the money.

The Cubed amps are amazing. So much smoother, greater depth and height information. It all sounds so much more “real” A big thank you to whoever came up with this improvement. We are measuring substantially lower THD at high frequencies (always a good sign) and the common mode rejection of the balanced inputs is almost 20dB better……incredible results!

The BDA-3 blows the BDA-2 out of the game. So much more detail, smoother and well-judged overall balance.

Thank you,
Peter Thomas
Managing Director

James Tanner - Bryston 03-03-2016 01:16 PM

Hi James,

It's being a while, about 5 months (close to 2000 hours) now since getting my model T Signatures. I would like to share my thoughts on how they sound against my (EDIT) on 2 channel music.

I have a very difficult room, in a basement. It's 16x16 foot with, a 7 foot 2" suspended ceiling. I have done major work on the room trying to make it more speaker friendly. It has major sound proofing, double dry wall with green glue in between, acoustic paneling, and bass traps in the corners. For my front end, I am using a high end Esoteric CD player, Esoteric preamp and Esoteric 2 channel amp. Over the past 6 years i have been lucky enough to own/test a variety of (edit) speakers. Certain (edit) speakers like the (edit) sounded great in my friends houses, but not so good in mine.

In My room, the (edit) are very detailed/transparent, providing a 3D soundstage on good recordings. They reveal all the good and bad in recordings. Unfortunately much of the not so good recordings become irritating on the (edit). Even average recordings would be ok for a limited listening time. But, good recordings were just outstanding. In my room the (edit) always sounded a bit too lean with not enough bass. The only way to get enough bass was to run a 10" sub with them. But I did not like how the sub sounded with the (eit). I have had a number of people over to try and figure out how to fix my bass problem. Everyone was at a loss. Even my dealer came over and could not believe what he was hearing. We finally narrowed it down to a a major floor bounce suck out in the 60-80 Hz range. James you had explained this phenomenon in the Bryston loudspeaker thread on speakers with a single bass driver. I had also tried a number of high end cables/and mid range cables, to aid in taming them. My best taming the top end, came with using a pair of Manley Snapper tube amps. But, the Bass was still lacking.

I had heard the Model T Passive version when they first came out. I did like the bass/midrange, but thought the top end was lacking the detail I wanted. So I continued to look. A few years later and a few more (edit) models, I decided they weren't the speaker for my room. Knowing that Bryston had changed the tweeters, I decided to give the Model T Signatures a go this time. The outboard crossover would provide me with numerous cable tweaking opportunities, to each individual driver, plus the option to go fully active in the future.

I ran the speakers for up to 10-15 hours a day at different volume levels. I took about 120 hours before the bass started to loosen up. The high end seemed a bit congested up to about the 175 hour mark, and then slowly more detail began to emerge. The speakers started to sound good around the 250 hour mark. The first thing I noticed was how much fuller (a bit too much) and warmer the model T sounded in my room. They seemed to fill the room completely. I finally had the bass I was lacking, but it was a bit loose. They still were not as detailed and transparent as my (edit). I invited over a friend who can hear grass grow, to get his opinion We found the cables that worked the best on the (edit) did not sound as good on the Model T's. To bring out more detail and transparency we turned off the up sampling on my esoteric CD player and changed the digital filter option. That made a big difference in the top end detail and openness, but the bass was still a bit loose. So i decided to experiment with speaker cable options. I ended up with running DH labs Q10 silver Sonic bi-wired in to the crossovers (bass and mid) with a q10 jumper from the mid to high, and then Q10 out of the crossover in each binding post on the speakers. This cable opened up the top end more, and also provided a touch more detail, without sounding bright. The bass also tightened up nicely.

What is my Decision?

The (edit) speakers are no doubt very detailed and transparent, but will show all the warts in music. I have heard these in a friend’s house with tube amps and they sounded really great. But in my room they were too bright and fatiguing. Also they use a transmission line bass that some people may not like.

The Model T Signature's (after my adjustments) are still not as detailed and transparent, but now come much closer to the (edit). They have a huge soundstage. They are still fuller and warmer but less so, in a good way, now that I changed the cable to the Q10. There is also zero listening fatigue. I also find you can turn up the volume higher and they do not fall apart. The fullness seems to make average recordings sound better, and bad ones tolerant. I also found these speaker sound much better for surround sound duty (I also have the Model T Center) than my (edit) did. Oh, the bass, did I say I really like the bass on these I no longer even think of adding a sub.

As other people have said, these speakers provide very good bang for the buck. I am comparing them to speakers that cost almost 3 times as much. Are they as good – maybe no, but they sure get very close. In my case the room was the factor, and the Model T's just was a better fit for my listening ear. So, i ended up keeping the Model T's.

Adol290

James Tanner - Bryston 04-12-2016 06:37 AM

Hi James,

A review of the Mini A, just posted in Malaysia…

Bryston Mini A Loudspeakers - av2day.com

Best regards,
Low

James Tanner - Bryston 04-16-2016 09:45 PM

The Rang
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
Today at 05:54 pm

Finally listened to Bryston speakers today, the Mini T.

I think I might have to buy me a set.

Like them better than the Audio Physic Classics 20s on heavy discount that I was seriously considering The Mini T sounds more cohesive, the mids are strangley disjointed on the AP and it really bugged me. No such problem with the Bryston.

The Brystons aren't anywhere near as pretty but it's the sound that counts.
If I buy I'll get the MR50 (20") stands to go with them. The stands are a great price, expected them to be much higher. Will probably get the custom top plates too, (even though they are a bit pricey).

One thing I'm not clear about, is Walnut considered a custom (ie extra cost) finish?

James Tanner - Bryston 04-18-2016 07:50 AM

SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Speaker – Dealer Feedback

Subject: Unboxed Bryston Model T Speakers

James,

“My customer dropped by and allowed us to unpack his new Bryston Model T speakers.

What a smile on his face when we hooked them up. He left with an unforgettable grin, excited to know they will sound even better when the 28B Cubes arrive. He left yesterday with the look that says he found what he is looking for (I feel proud that I really made a customer that happy). Having lived much of his music enjoying life listening to (EDIT) speakers, he now has the means to have audiophile sound and has discovered he can still have emotion fueling volume.

I do not recall having this much fun listening to a speaker since the (EDIT) over 20 years ago. WOW! WOW! WOW! Incredible bass, open airy mids and highs and remaining uncongested into louder than usual volumes. It's delicate but powerful.

I am sitting typing this 60 feet away from the Model T's that are sitting in a different room and they continue to impress (no, amaze me) They take me to the concert like no other speaker I can remember. Thank you for making me and my staff get excited about our music again. ALL the staff brought their favorite cd's to work this morning.

FOLLOW UP:

My God have you made a memorable product, at the end of the day yesterday after a long, stressful week we hung around the store for 2 hours listening to your Model T speakers. The interesting thing is that we can't quite put our finger on exactly why we absolutely love these speakers. It's the highs, they're extended but not screechy. No, it's the mids, vocals and instruments big and spacious, never sounding congested even when we're irresponsible with the volume. No, it's that insane bass, when have we heard the sound of amazing bass that would impress with speed metal and rap. We have zero hours in adjusting them yet and they sound incredible.

Good job sneaking up on us with your product, have a great rest of your weekend.”

Sincerely,
Brad Ferguson, Audio Concepts

James Tanner - Bryston 04-20-2016 03:00 PM

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2...eviews_Son.pdf

james

James Tanner - Bryston 06-12-2016 10:11 AM

Hi James

I've had so many people over to hear and enjoy the eye candy in a year since I got the Bryston A1 speakers.

I have a second system (Vintage 1981 4B) completely gone over and updated right down to a power switch and new feet by your great staff. It's in another zone of flat with a pair RP280F Klipsch.

Second system is sweet … 4BSST2, BP6, and of course the A1's.

Mostly everyone is floored. Folk, Rock, Pop, Metal, Punk, my live recordings around the planet etc... All have been played on the system. Lol... ;)

Absolutely in love with Bryston!

Thanks James
Ken.

phishphan 06-26-2016 08:21 PM

I haven't been around here for a while, but I though this would be the place to get some feedback on these speakers. I just bought a new house and have 2 rooms I need (want) to put speakers in. My main floor living room is a 2 story living room that connects to the kitchen and will have a TV and I need some discreet speakers. I'm tempted by the Bryston TIW's, but Bryston doesn't offer an in wall center.. And my wife has been VERY clear she doesn't want speakers showing. I have a Anthem A5 that has a bad center channel (so I have 4 channels) which is more than enough juice to power whatever I want to install. Has anyone heard the TIW's? My local Bryston retailer doesn't, and hasn't. He does have some of the, much more expensive, KEF in walls that sound amazing, but I'd be in 6k for LR & C. Thoughts? James, what would you use for a center?

In my basement, I have a SP3, 9bsst2, BIT 15, and I just ordered a 4b3 that'll be here in a couple of weeks. I'm ditching my current surrounds because they're bookshelf speakers and I (cough cough, my wife) doesn't want anything hanging form the ceiling. My LR & C are Aperion Audio's Grand Versus that I picked up a couple of years ago. I must say, for the $3000 I spent on the set up, I've always been impressed. BUT - I want to upgrade and I want all my speakers from the same company. So again, I'm back to the idea of TIW's for my back and surrounds. It would also not break the bank. Because of those, I've been looking at the Model T's and center. .... Now I know this is a Bryston forum, and from what I already have I think everyone understands I love Bryston, but how do the Model T's stack up agains the KEF reference series? I've been reading review after review about the T's and I'm seeing that the bass as as solid as a rock, but the some reviewers have commented that the upper middle-high range lacks the detail of other speakers... Which is what pointed me to the KEF's.

Ok.. This was a bit of rambling. But anyone want to weigh in? I've heard the KEF's in wall, and the reference 3's. Both are drop dead amazing. And if I were going to spend the dough, I'd just pony up for the 5's. But that's 25k once I get the center. - I've yet to hear the Bryston's, and no one in town (Minneapolis) has them.

James Tanner - Bryston 06-27-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phishphan (Post 788349)
I haven't been around here for a while, but I though this would be the place to get some feedback on these speakers. I just bought a new house and have 2 rooms I need (want) to put speakers in. My main floor living room is a 2 story living room that connects to the kitchen and will have a TV and I need some discreet speakers. I'm tempted by the Bryston TIW's, but Bryston doesn't offer an in wall center.. And my wife has been VERY clear she doesn't want speakers showing. I have a Anthem A5 that has a bad center channel (so I have 4 channels) which is more than enough juice to power whatever I want to install. Has anyone heard the TIW's? My local Bryston retailer doesn't, and hasn't. He does have some of the, much more expensive, KEF in walls that sound f**king amazing, but I'd be in 6k for LR & C. Thoughts? James, what would you use for a center?

In my basement, I have a SP3, 9bsst2, and I just ordered a 4b3 (and a BIT15) that'll be here in a couple of weeks. I'm ditching my current surrounds because they're bookshelf speakers and I (cough cough, my wife) doesn't want anything hanging form the ceiling. My LR & C are Aperion Audio's Grand Versus that I picked up a couple of years ago. I must say, for the $3000 I spent on the set up, I've always been impressed. BUT - I want to upgrade and I want all my speakers from the same company. So again, I'm back to the idea of TIW's for my back and surrounds. At $600 a speaker, it would also not break the bank. Because of those, I've been looking at the Model T's and center. .... Now I know this is a Bryston forum, and from what I already have I think everyone understands I love Bryston, but how do the Model T's stack up agains the KEF reference series? I've been reading review after review about the T's and I'm seeing that the bass as as solid as a rock, but the some reviewers have commented that the upper middle-high range lacks the detail of other speakers... Which is what pointed me to the KEF's.

Ok.. This was a bit of rambling. But anyone want to weigh in? I've heard the KEF's in wall, and the reference 3's. Both are drop dead amazing. And if I were going to spend the dough, I'd just pony up for the 5's. But that's 25k once I get the center. - I've yet to hear the Bryston's, and no one in town (Minneapolis) has them.

HI

You can use the TOW's in wall on its side as the dispersion is very wide both vertically and horizontally and we have done a few systems this way with a modified grill cover for the center speaker to place the logo properly.

james

James Tanner - Bryston 06-28-2016 06:55 AM

SUBJECT: Bryston System – Customer Feedback

Hi Gary,

We exchanged emails a few months back about the email newsletter. I have received a few since then thank you.

Regarding the all Bryston system we were looking at, we went ahead with the purchase of the following components from Rick at The Audio Alternative, Fort Collins, CO.

BRYSTON:
BDP-2 Player
BDA-3 DAC
BP-26 Preamp
MPS-2 PS
7B3- Mono
BIT-20 Balanced
Model T Passive
Speakers

I have included a picture of the set-up in our living room. Please ignore the fireplace. The restoration of which took a backseat to the stereo. We would like to give praise to Rick at The Audio Alternative who drove from Fort Collins, Colorado to Salt Lake City to make sure we were happy with the set-up. That kind of customer service is exactly what we are looking for with this type of purchase as it is more of a long-term relationship than a one off purchase. We look forward to making future additions to our system with Rick. We are very excited about the Bryston turntable and are waiting for Rick's analysis. He has some stiff competition at his shop with Linn and Thorens.

We are very happy with the system we purchased and look forward to many years of enjoyable (sometimes loud) listening.

Matt & Amelia