AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tannoy Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Upgrading from Canterbury SE to GR (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40231)

MisterBritt 03-18-2018 01:52 PM

Very nice. Thanks for posting. I'm still running the SEs. :thumbsup:

GingerDB 02-29-2020 07:28 AM

@ mulveling: whats the speaker cables that you use to connect the Tannoys please ? They look majestic indeed!

Masterlu 02-29-2020 04:31 PM

GingerDB... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Formerly YB-2 02-29-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 863165)
Here's the Blue Hawaii amp (fitted with NOS EL34, as it should be for best sound). Amazing amp, inside and out (and sonically):
http://i.imgur.com/LIHIkXy.jpg

Indeed, as impressive as the rest of your system.:thumbsup: As a fellow EL34 fan, I've found the Tung-Sol reissue excellent, but not quite up the Gold Lion KT77. Am deciding between the Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR and 7581A to roll in to compare. EDIT - no longer deciding. 7581As are inbound.

Do you have a Tannoy B&M store in the Atlanta area?

kajos 04-02-2020 05:41 AM

Hey guys, i have a question for you...

What would be better for 35sq meters room, from these 3 choices:

1.) Kensington SE (love their sound....!!!)
2.) Westminster TW (love their look! Didn’t hear them)
3.) Canterbury SE (i read/heard that they are less colorful and clear, and closer to Kensington SE sound only in their GR version)

Generally their price is quite similar, at least now in Europe.
If any of them would need some re-wiring, i’m fine to play with that..no problem...if sound will improve.

Generally i’m happy with Kensington SE sound, but anyway.... what and why would you suggest? Bigger speaker and driver means surely nicer bass..not big need for directioning & positioning speakers...?!?

Btw. My current amp is 2x 30watt in dual-mono, pure class A, tubes 6550 and i like whole set around a lot...

Thank you for sharing your experience and ideas!

Karel

mulveling 03-04-2021 07:57 PM

Wow, it's been a few years since I posted my then-new Canterbury GR system. I still love them! As I've refined the rest of my system they give more and more. The most impactful upgrades were as follows:

1. Going from Rogue Ares Magnum phono stage to a VAC Renaissance SE phono. Holy cow, lol.
2. Koetsu diamond cantilever upgrade. Now I have a Blue Lace and CoralStone with the upgrade. Big WOW!
3. Went to VAC Signature 200iQ monoblocks over the Rogue Apollo Darks. What sweet, sweet amps these VACs are.
4. Preamp - The ARC Reference 6 has been stellar. It replaced a Rogue Hera II that I loved, but battled with its noise issues on. BUT I recently made a decision to go all VAC and order a Master preamp. Love the way VAC does midrange, and this will complete an all-VAC electronic chain.

PHC1 03-04-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kajos (Post 1000474)
Hey guys, i have a question for you...

What would be better for 35sq meters room, from these 3 choices:

1.) Kensington SE (love their sound....!!!)
2.) Westminster TW (love their look! Didn’t hear them)
3.) Canterbury SE (i read/heard that they are less colorful and clear, and closer to Kensington SE sound only in their GR version)

Generally their price is quite similar, at least now in Europe.
If any of them would need some re-wiring, i’m fine to play with that..no problem...if sound will improve.

Generally i’m happy with Kensington SE sound, but anyway.... what and why would you suggest? Bigger speaker and driver means surely nicer bass..not big need for directioning & positioning speakers...?!?

Btw. My current amp is 2x 30watt in dual-mono, pure class A, tubes 6550 and i like whole set around a lot...

Thank you for sharing your experience and ideas!

Karel

Did not notice this post so it is probably way too late nearly a year later to be useful but could be useful for others I guess. I had Sandringhams, Kensington and Canterburry SEs in a room that was approximately 15x18 feet. Do not hesitate to go with Canterburry but not much smaller than those dimensions as they do like some room to breathe. Both the Sandringhams and Kensingtons are absolutely fine in rooms even smaller.

All very enjoyable speakers with the Canterburry being able to provide a larger, more vivid and lifelike presentation with more palpable and focused imaging and purity of tone. Of course they were much more $ than the other pairs.

PHC1 03-04-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 1034087)
Wow, it's been a few years since I posted my then-new Canterbury GR system. I still love them! As I've refined the rest of my system they give more and more. The most impactful upgrades were as follows:

1. Going from Rogue Ares Magnum phono stage to a VAC Renaissance SE phono. Holy cow, lol.
2. Koetsu diamond cantilever upgrade. Now I have a Blue Lace and CoralStone with the upgrade. Big WOW!
3. Went to VAC Signature 200iQ monoblocks over the Rogue Apollo Darks. What sweet, sweet amps these VACs are.
4. Preamp - The ARC Reference 6 has been stellar. It replaced a Rogue Hera II that I loved, but battled with its noise issues on. BUT I recently made a decision to go all VAC and order a Master preamp. Love the way VAC does midrange, and this will complete an all-VAC electronic chain.

Sounds like a fantastic system. Enjoy. :music:

mulveling 03-09-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1034089)
Did not notice this post so it is probably way too late nearly a year later to be useful but could be useful for others I guess. I had Sandringhams, Kensington and Canterburry SEs in a room that was approximately 15x18 feet. Do not hesitate to go with Canterburry but not much smaller than those dimensions as they do like some room to breathe. Both the Sandringhams and Kensingtons are absolutely fine in rooms even smaller.

All very enjoyable speakers with the Canterburry being able to provide a larger, more vivid and lifelike presentation with more palpable and focused imaging and purity of tone. Of course they were much more $ than the other pairs.

Wow, I thought I had answered that question but looks like I inadvertently ignored it - sorry to Kajos!

Yeah I totally agree. Canterbury should be fine in 18'x15' but don't go into smaller rooms with that model. The Canterbury renders a BIG lifelike presentation the smaller drivers can't match. But the Kensington SE should really sing in ~ 15'x18'; seems pretty close to optimal for it - and it also has a beautiful midrange and vivid sound and more clarity versus Canterbury SE. The Canterbury SE is on the warmer/thicker side whereas the Kensington SE is a bit leaner (though still with beautiful lush mids), and watch those tweeters on gear matching!

Karel's room however is 35sq meters, which is what in american eagle units - 24'x16'? That's a good room size. At that size I'd say consider supplementing the Kensington SE with dual subs. Of course the Canterbury will be quite happy on its own in that room size, and though I don't have Westminster experience it should also be great in that room.

Quote:

Sounds like a fantastic system. Enjoy.
Thank you sir! Going all VAC now, with a Master preamp replacing the Reference 6 :)

Anthony 03-21-2021 07:35 AM

The Tannoy Canterbury GRs have impressed me greatly. I've spend numerous hours at the dealer immersed in the special sound driven with base VTL pre and monoblocks via streaming.
I've hand clapped at the end of numerous tracks as they sounded so superb, virtually 10/10.

I only wish I could listen at home and compare them to my Sonus Faber Amati Futuras.

I also like the latest styling of the Tannoy Kingdom Royal.

Anthony