AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bryston Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Noise on 7B2 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49541)

Formerly YB-2 04-09-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVfile (Post 1036507)
While the weather is looking good we got hit with a third wave of Covid and have only vaccinated 10% of the population. So the province is back into a 4 week lockdown and summer festivals are being canceled! You should cancel your booking unless you want to spend it in quarantine. Sucks for us too because we appreciate your tourism.

We spoke with the folks at Chateau Laurier in Ottawa yesterday and they were not very hopeful that we will be able to get into Canada the 2nd week of May. Plus, the Tulip Festival has been canceled. Bummer.

Sorry to read about Bryston not taking care of your amp/preamp issues. Not what I expected based on my past experience.

W9TR 04-10-2021 09:24 AM

Couple of things....I wouldn't be concerned about a 7 mV DC offset. It will cause a small current to flow in your woofer, about 1 mA or so if you've got 8 ohm speakers.

As far as measuring noise at the output - most manufacturers use a 20 Hz to 20 kHz bandpass filter when measuring noise. Some will measure noise with an 'A' weighting filter which gives them about a 10 dB improvement and is alleged to be more inline with human perception.

That -117 dB S/N is measured below full 600 W/8ohm output. If you are like me I listen at maybe 3 watts, so the noise will be 23 dB worse if I reference 3 watts compared to 600. So the good looking -117 spec is now -94 in real world terms, something easily heard with your ear up to the speaker.

Anyway, this is not to dismiss the impact of what you are hearing. Just to note that your amp is probably in spec, but disappointing that they didn't adjust the offset while it was on the bench.

AVfile 06-27-2021 12:19 PM

Noise on 7B2

[mention]WTR9 [/mention] thanks and I agree. What bothers me is how silent everyone says Bryston amps and preamps are. The professional reviews wax poetic but rarely mention the glitches and strange noises. I have news for them: my 20-year old TUBE PREAMP makes less noise than my BP17 Cubed!

Now I am thinking of getting the 7B’s rewired in parallel mode by the factory. I am driving low impedance (2.4 ohms minimum) Thiel speakers now. If this can’t be done I will be looking for a new amp with a design like Krell or Classe that truly “doubles down” the current for low impedance loads.

Masterlu 06-27-2021 12:41 PM

FWIW; I have 2 all Bryston systems, they are both dead silent

BTW; I would pass on Krell, they can’t even service components from just 5 years ago; they blame it on poor design, lack of circuit boards, and a few other things.

AVfile 06-27-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1040497)
BTW; I would pass on Krell, they can’t even service components from just 5 years ago; they blame it on poor design, lack of circuit boards, and a few other things.

Oh, good point and thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten what a pain servicing Krell can be. I would be buying older models and likely servicing them on my own, if I went down that road.