AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   JVC/Sony 4K Laser Projectors (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51714)

UFTE 11-02-2022 01:52 PM

JVC/Sony 4K Laser Projectors

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on a possible upgrade for my HT projector. I have had a Pioneer Elite Pro-FPJ1 (1080P, 600 lumen, 200w lamp) for quite some time and have the upgrade bug. Last year I took some serious consideration into a JVC DLA-NX7 (4K, 1,900 lumen, 265w lamp), but due to availability and then disinterest, I never followed through. Looking now it appears that both Sony & JVC offer laser projectors in the $6-12k range that I am willing to spend.

Sticking with basically the JVC side, the DLA-NZ7R (4K laser, 2,200 lumens, and motorized lens) appeared to be the better choice for me, but it looks like all JVC projectors are back ordered because of chip shortages.

I looked into Sony as well, and their two models in my price range; VPLXW500ES and the VPLXW600ES (both 4K laser). The manual/standard 4K lens drives me away from the 500ES, so the 600ES with additional lumens (2,500 vs 2,000) and motorized/ACF-lens seems the much better option. Both Sony models also appear to be currently in stock.

I have what I would call a very well light controlled room if need be, and believe my 120” StudioTek 130 G4 screen would be more than OK for pretty much any projector. I’m also thinking the new laser options would be better than lamp (picture, cost of replacement lamps, etc)?

I’m trying to educate myself before making a final decision, so any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. It seem that JVC or Sony seem to be the brands to stick with. I also plan to try and see some options in person when time becomes available.

Masterlu 11-02-2022 05:56 PM

Ryan… I am very much in Sony’s corner. Aside from being a Sony Platinum dealer, I own the VPLXW600ES and love it.

Of course no one can match my pricing, and I have a network of Professional ISF certified installer/calibration experts nationwide that I work with.

W9TR 11-03-2022 10:04 AM

This is a high class problem to have. ISF calibration will be the deciding factor in terms of installed performance of either projector. You will be amazed at the difference compared to your old projector.

UFTE 11-03-2022 10:44 AM

Quote:

Of course no one can match my pricing, and I have a network of Professional ISF certified installer/calibration experts nationwide that I work with.
Oh boy....looks like you will have a PM on this shortly;)

Quote:

This is a high class problem to have. ISF calibration will be the deciding factor in terms of installed performance of either projector. You will be amazed at the difference compared to your old projector.
I am sure hoping so!

macman007 11-03-2022 12:44 PM

I recently bought, and received my Sony projector from Ivan; perfect transaction. Now if my contractors build out went as smooth. :sigh:

UFTE 11-03-2022 01:30 PM

Quote:

I recently bought, and received my Sony projector from Ivan; perfect transaction. Now if my contractors build out went as smooth.
Good to hear. I think everything would be much simpler if handled the way Ivan does:) Good luck with your project and hopefully we all see some pics here on the site when complete!

Porsche993TT 11-03-2022 06:12 PM

jvc at $11k and $25k are hard to beat, needs the calibration tho to maximize them

thughes 11-03-2022 06:16 PM

Both are choices I'm looking at. A deciding factor for me is 3D. Both do 3D, but I already have 10 or 12 Sony glasses.

UFTE 11-04-2022 01:31 PM

Well that was fast....Sony VPL-XW6000ES on order....thank you again Mr. Ivan for the call, feedback and unbelievable price! Once the unit arrives and is installed I will chime in. I was planning on watching Top Gun: Maverick this weekend, but will push that until the new projector is ready to roll:thumbsup:

Masterlu 11-04-2022 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFTE (Post 1068161)
Well that was fast....Sony VPL-XW6000ES on order....thank you again Mr. Ivan for the call, feedback and unbelievable price! Once the unit arrives and is installed I will chime in. I was planning on watching Top Gun: Maverick this weekend, but will push that until the new projector is ready to roll:thumbsup:

Ryan… you are most welcome! Your new Sony Projector has already shipped; tracker to follow. :ok: