AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JBL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   250 Ti vs 4345? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=17227)

Cornholio 11-14-2012 03:19 PM

250 Ti vs 4345?

I'm a happy owner of 250 Ti which I currently drive with the newly bought McIntosh 452 amp. After a long shootout the 250's replaced B&W 800 Diamonds in my system and that's saying quite a lot about how good they are! But the upgrade itch never leaves me as I keep hearing about the magic of 43 series. I keep longing for even bigger bass, more punch and dynamics and more "in your gut" sound. Will 4345 give me all that? Are there areas where 250 Ti is better?

jdandy 11-14-2012 04:52 PM

Cornholio.......There is quite a bit of difference between the JBL 250Ti and the JBL 4345. The 250Ti was developed as a home audio speaker with its beautiful pyramid styling designed to integrate and compliment most home interiors. The JBL 4345 is from JBL's professional line of speakers. The 4345 was develop for applications in live clubs and larger venues as sound reinforcement for live performances. Their cabinet designs are more utilitarian, designed with commercial applications in mind.

The JBL 4345 uses an 18" woofer that can be biamped separately from the other drivers in the cabinet, and its sensitivity is 95 dB, a full 5 dB greater sensitivity than the JBL 250Ti. That represents a substantial increase in sound pressure level without having to increase amplifier output power level. I would expect the 4345's to create the type of visceral low frequency impact you described as your goal. I have not personally auditioned this particular model of JBL, although I have experienced the low bass output of the JBL B460 subwoofer with the 18" woofer powered by a McIntosh MC501 at Pete's (Vintage Pete) home, and I can tell you it moved a tremendous amount of air. The bass physically thumps you in the chest. I would expect the JBL 4345's 18" woofers to do the same.

How the remaining driver compliment in the JBL 4345 will stand up to the JBL 250Ti's midrange and tweeter will be a determining factor as well. Both speakers use multiple cone drives for the midrange frequencies, but the 250Ti uses a titanium dome tweeter where the 4345 uses a compression driver with a horn and lens system for the upper frequency range. The latter approach is typical of the JBL professional line in a effort to gain wide dispersion when installed in commercial applications.

I hope this information proves helpful. JBL makes fine speakers. I have been a JBL fan for many years and owned a number of Altec Lansing and JBL speakers through those years. I loved them all and still enjoy my JBL 4312A monitors with a McIntosh MA5100 integrated amplifier.

JBL 4345

http://odoo.co.kr/data/file/market_1...beacefa_zz.jpg

Vintage Pete 11-14-2012 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I will just chime in here....

Dan.....your assessment of these two (actually three) JBL systems is excellent, and right on the mark. I would just add that, in actuality, the JBL B460 subwoofer that I have was actually designed to compliment the L250 Loudspeaker system, predecessor of the 250ti).

So to Cornholio's point, I wouldn't for a moment hesitate to recommend that, rather than "upgrade" the beautiful 250ti, that he consider the addition of a B460 Sub (along with the BX63 or BX63A active crossover). Not to slight at all the 43 series-as they are excellent-but if all he is really looking for is a bass improvement, and likes the 250ti otherwise (and who wouldn't) then the B460 would be just the ticket...if he can find one. It may take a little while to find one, but will be well worth the wait. There can be do doubt the synergy between the 250ti and the B460 would be excellent. After all the 250ti, with its improved network and titanium dome tweeter, was a refinement of one of Greg Timber's finest accomplishments, the L250. Of course, the B460 will require a separate amplifier....but he will also gain here from the additional headroom and lower IM from both his amplifiers and his main loudspeakers. He also has to allow physical room for the B460, but if he can pull it off, he will be very pleased, I am quite sure.

Cornholio.....good luck in your quest! See attached Brochures.

Pete

jdandy 11-14-2012 11:30 PM

Pete.......I knew if there was a new JBL thread you would be along soon. :D

Great suggestion on adding the B460 to the JBL 250ti set up. That would do it for sure. There is no denying the ability of the JBL B460 subwoofer and its active crossover to pressurize a room with deep, strong, solid bass.

http://audio-heritage.jp/JBL/speaker/b460wx.JPG . . http://audio-database.com/JBL/speaker/250ti.JPG

redm 11-14-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornholio (Post 394580)
After a long shootout the 250's replaced B&W 800 Diamonds in my system and that's saying quite a lot about how good they are!

That really is saying something. I honestly didn't know JBL made speakers at that level. Going to have to rethink my opinion of them. Good luck with the upgrade. :thumbsup:

Vintage Pete 11-15-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 394833)
Pete.......I knew if there was a new JBL thread you would be along soon. :D

Great suggestion on adding the B460 to the JBL 250ti set up. That would do it for sure. There is no denying the ability of the JBL B460 subwoofer and its active crossover to pressurize a room with deep, strong, solid bass.

http://audio-heritage.jp/JBL/speaker/b460wx.JPG . . http://audio-database.com/JBL/speaker/250ti.JPG

What made you think I would respond to a JBL thread Dan? :D

These are very nice photos of the B460 and 250ti....they get my juices flowing, and I already own the B460! I've always admired the appearance of the L250 and 250ti. I auditioned the L250 when it came out and was quite impressed, but I had just purchased my L220A's maybe 6 months prior to that and didn't really see a need to upgrade that quickly. 30 years later, I still like my L220's....and there is a great synergy between them and the B460.

Pete

Cornholio 11-15-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 394802)
I will just chime in here....

Dan.....your assessment of these two (actually three) JBL systems is excellent, and right on the mark. I would just add that, in actuality, the JBL B460 subwoofer that I have was actually designed to compliment the L250 Loudspeaker system, predecessor of the 250ti).

So to Cornholio's point, I wouldn't for a moment hesitate to recommend that, rather than "upgrade" the beautiful 250ti, that he consider the addition of a B460 Sub (along with the BX63 or BX63A active crossover). Not to slight at all the 43 series-as they are excellent-but if all he is really looking for is a bass improvement, and likes the 250ti otherwise (and who wouldn't) then the B460 would be just the ticket...if he can find one. It may take a little while to find one, but will be well worth the wait. There can be do doubt the synergy between the 250ti and the B460 would be excellent. After all the 250ti, with its improved network and titanium dome tweeter, was a refinement of one of Greg Timber's finest accomplishments, the L250. Of course, the B460 will require a separate amplifier....but he will also gain here from the additional headroom and lower IM from both his amplifiers and his main loudspeakers. He also has to allow physical room for the B460, but if he can pull it off, he will be very pleased, I am quite sure.

Cornholio.....good luck in your quest! See attached Brochures.

Pete

I'm sure that an excellent idea but bass is not all I'm looking for. I'll try to explain with the post I wrote on Lansing Heritage forum:

"Let me try to explain - while I love the detail of 250 Ti they are a bit too modern sounding, too Hi Fi (or even Hi End). They compared VERY favourably with B&W 800 Diamonds for Christ sake! There is clear separation between bass, mids and highs - now some folks may ask what's wrong about it? Nothing at all. But the JBL's I fell in love a few years ago were L150's - while there were nowhere near 250's in quality of each sound they had an incredible in your face TOGETHERNESS of sound that was just jumping out of the speakers with my modest McIntosh 6900 integrated. They sounded big, warm and fat - you know the feeling when you go "That's how this 1977 LP was meant to sound back in the day!". I just kept forgetting about all audiophile analysis and kept rocking one album after another. Now that I have a great McIntosh set up of 1100 CD player/500 tube preamp/452 amp I want to experience this togetherness that made me a JBL fan but on another level. That's why I thought about 4345."

redm 11-15-2012 12:40 PM

These speakers must be no longer produced? All I can see on JBL's website are lower end speakers? :scratch2:

lakesailor 11-15-2012 02:21 PM

What about JBL L300 Summit's as an idea ?

tom1120s 11-15-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakesailor (Post 395068)
What about JBL L300 Summit's as an idea ?

Since you have great modern gear, I would check out the JBL S4700's. I bet they may give you what you want.

Home | JBL Synthesis