AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Streaming & Television Shows (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Final Letterman Show (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31659)

Still-One 05-20-2015 08:25 PM

Final Letterman Show

How many of you will be watching or recording Letterman's final show this evening? I was never a late night talk show follower or big DL fan. i would occasionally watch Leno especially his Monday "Headlines" feature. I started watching Fallon but his shtick wore off very quickly. It is too much about him and although he is talented in many areas he does terrible interviews. He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

So as Letterman was getting down to his last weeks we started watching his show. I must say I have enjoyed these last several weeks. Top of the line quests. It has been fun to see how some artists have interacted with Dave these past 33 years and watching them change over time.

Letterman was ahead of his time and so different from Carson or Leno. Now we are left with the dumbing down of late night TV with the likes of Fallon, Kimmel and Conan (is he still on?). I wish my wife would get rid of the TV in the bedroom. I will miss Letterman and really didn't know it 'till the past couple of months.

Cohibaman 05-20-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 700999)
How many of you will be watching or recording Letterman's final show this evening? I was never a late night talk show follower or big DL fan. i would occasionally watch Leno especially his Monday "Headlines" feature. I started watching Fallon but his shtick wore off very quickly. It is too much about him and although he is talented in many areas he does terrible interviews. He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

So as Letterman was getting down to his last weeks we started watching his show. I must say I have enjoyed these last several weeks. Top of the line quests. It has been fun to see how some artists have interacted with Dave these past 33 years and watching them change over time.

Letterman was ahead of his time and so different from Carson or Leno. Now we are left with the dumbing down of late night TV with the likes of Fallon, Kimmel and Conan (is he still on?). I wish my wife would get rid of the TV in the bedroom. I will miss Letterman and really didn't know it 'till the past couple of months.

Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot to hit record. :thumbsup:

W9TR 05-20-2015 08:36 PM

I'm in!

I really enjoyed last night's show with Bill Murray. He just took over and Dave let it all unfold.

One of the things I always liked about Dave Letterman was that he was never mean spirited with his guests, as compared to Leno and O'Brien and the others.

cmalak 05-20-2015 08:48 PM

Big DL fan and I will miss him greatly. One of the greats retiring and leaving me with less of a reason to buy the bundled cable product at >$200/month! In interview format, the only thing I still like to watch which is a serious interview show is Charlie Rose on PBS @ 11am. Generally smart interviewer and has a curious mind that aids him in guiding the interviews to their natural conclusion.

djwhog 05-20-2015 09:27 PM

Will here, or maybe DVR it. He has been better as of late, he kind got flat for a while. I few years ago he was real good.

Wish him all the best:) Sure he has enough coin to last :)

cmalak 05-21-2015 01:43 AM

Totally like that he didn't do a schmaltzy emotional farewell at the end but kept it classy and funny as always :thumbsup:

MasterLuJr 05-21-2015 01:57 AM

Never been a big Letterman fan. Thought his finale was okay, nothing memorable from it that I would talk about a year from now. My favorite part was the flashback to when he ran the Taco Bell.
I actually like Fallon a lot as a host. He really changed how late night is done with doing "skits" with celebs vs just sitting doing the old fashioned interview. Fallon's ratings have been very strong from what I've read.

Ritmo 05-21-2015 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 701054)
Totally like that he didn't do a schmaltzy emotional farewell at the end but kept it classy and funny as always :thumbsup:

Agree Cyril. Stayed up and watched it.

djwhog 05-21-2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterLuJr (Post 701056)
Never been a big Letterman fan. Thought his finale was okay, nothing memorable from it that I would talk about a year from now. My favorite part was the flashback to when he ran the Taco Bell.
I actually like Fallon a lot as a host. He really changed how late night is done with doing "skits" with celebs vs just sitting doing the old fashioned interview. Fallon's ratings have been very strong from what I've read.

Agree He does Neil Young better than Neil Young, man is a mega talent! :thumbsup:

Still-One 05-21-2015 08:54 AM

I hope those who were recording the show hoping to watch it today added some extra time. The show ran about 20 minutes over its normal time.